UnderGround Forums

SBGI >> Once a week training

9/2/09 9:07 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
acid jazz
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Matt and anyone else,

Some of us have the undesirable situation of only being able to train once a week.

Of course it is harder to retain what one has worked on and improvement is slower under these conditions.

Any suggestions on what one can do to make the best of this type of situation other than the obvious reccomendation of going to class more often?
9/2/09 2:43 PM
Matt Thornton
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do what you enjoy the most
9/2/09 2:49 PM
acid jazz
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is that a nice way of saying I'm screwed with this setup? I thought you were going to recommend a grappling dummy or something.
9/2/09 6:46 PM
Matt Thornton
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Grappling dummy is a huge waste of money. If you are alone, work conditioning, weights, yoga, etc. If you have a partner, roll. Unless you don't like BJJ, in which case box a little, or wrestle.

Your not screwed, all progress is relative. Unless you have some pro-fight, or major competition coming up that you need to prepare for, who cares if it takes ten years, or three, to reach a particular level of skill? Just have fun, and stay healthy.
9/2/09 7:01 PM
acid jazz

Thanks Matt. I didn't know that a grappling dummy was a waste of money. Good to know this.

I'm glad you didn't say it was a complete waste of time to train once a week, because this is all I can do at the moment.
9/7/09 2:50 PM
cprevost
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I went from blue to purple on training one day a week. That was all I could do at the time. Took me longer to get there. Matt's advice sounds cavalier but it's gold. You aren't screwed at all. You are only screwed if you let your lack of access to the gym prevent you from enjoying the journey. It really is a marathon...
9/10/09 8:09 AM
acid jazz

cprevost - I went from blue to purple on training one day a week. That was all I could do at the time. Took me longer to get there. Matt's advice sounds cavalier but it's gold. You aren't screwed at all. You are only screwed if you let your lack of access to the gym prevent you from enjoying the journey. It really is a marathon...

It's awesome to hear this. How long did it take? What did you do on the days you weren't training?
9/18/09 1:28 PM
cprevost
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't even remember how long it took? I can't really tell you how long I've been at my current rank? Really I choose to not focus on it. I believe it was John Frankl who said "enjoy your color belt ranks and don't be in too much of a hurry. You'll be at black belt longer than all the other ranks combined."

For me I did nothing related to BJJ on my days off. I'm lazy that way. I hate anything that resembles exercise and I love BJJ because I get tricked into exercise every time I get on the mat.

The MOST important thing is that you enjoy what you are doing. Will power will get you about a year at best for most people. I've seen it over and over. The reason I'm still around has nothing to do with will power or commitment. It's literally because going to the gym is the most fun thing I can think of to do... If you find a way to make it fun the rest will mostly take care of itself.
10/14/09 8:25 AM
New2MMA
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great advice on here

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.