UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> TCMS Maxims

1/15/03 4:20 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Stickgrappler
1351 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Jan-03

is there a webpage with just the TCMS Maxims? i've checked Coach Blauer's site and have not found it. or maybe use this thread to post the TCMS Maxims? TIA. below are 2 to start off from the excellent thread Demoralized started by ironmongoose. ----------- "The theory determines the experience." "A good grappler knows a bunch of moves, a great grappler knows when to abort them, strike when you can grapple when you must."
1/15/03 6:14 PM
FJJ828
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NAPLES BRAZILIAN JIU JITSU L.L.C.
"If you knew that you had to fight to the death tomorrow, would it change the way that you train today?" "Practice doesn't make perfect. Even perfect practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice just makes you better." Two of my favorites.
1/15/03 8:57 PM
Tony Blauer

Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
:-) cool concept...
1/15/03 10:48 PM
AlbertaPDR

Edited: 15-Jan-03 11:19 PM
I have a some!! 1) "If you can't think to do it in training, what makes you think, you will think to do in the street." 2) "Sooner is always faster" 3) "We build substance" 4) " In a real fight...where you are the target... until you are psychologically in control of yourself and physically dominating your opponent....complex motor skills will not work effectively." 5) " Just because you are present...does not mean you have presence." 6) " In a CQ fight, moving away from the danger often puts us into more danger." 7) " Never show people what you can do...always show them what they can do." PDR Coaching Maxim Robb Finlayson, PDR Team
1/15/03 11:08 PM
P

Edited: 15-Jan-03 11:32 PM
"Real fights happen in the space of a phone booth" "If I were to lose, let me lose to the superior fighter, let me lose because he was better than me, not that I was worse than him" "The opponent is already dangerous, don’t make him more dangerous by imbuing him with attributes to kick your ass." "If you can protect your children but not yourself your problem isn't ability, it's procrastination." "The true warrior always seeks weakness." "Most people argue to be right about their failure" "Most warriors were worriers first." "The opponent controls the fight." "What would it cost you to face your fear? What might it cost you if you don't?" "The more you explore the emotional and psychological tools, the more obvious the simple physical tools seem." "Lack of ambidexterity is in your mind." "CWCT + NVP + Non-telegraphic motion = A Fight!" "Psychological + physical + scenario x resoluteness = SURVIVAL" "There is no such thing as an accidental flinch." "The flinch is faster than a speeding bullet." "Most classical training relies on the idea that we will let the opponent attack, and then attempt to intercept the attack with a fine/complex motor skill when it has reached it’s most ballistic point. WHY WAIT?" "You have all the time in the world...just don’t take it!" "NEVER PRACTICE MISSING and NEVER PRACTICE PULLING" "In the absence of nothing, you have to do something... " "If you cant control yourself how can you control someone else?" "The mind navigates the body" "If all you do in your training is the "physical" you will be pre-disposed to using only the physical to settle everything." "How you think affects how I feel. How you feel affects how you think. Both of those affect what you do." "Since action is faster than reaction and moving forwards is always faster than moving backwards, the very essence of a ‘Defensive’ action, puts the defender at risk." "Not giving up means not giving up" "Those who talk may be persuaded to walk." And, Tony's most often used 'non' Blauer maxim: "If you face just one opponent and you doubt yourself you are outnumbered" Dan Milman
1/16/03 5:21 AM
Tony Blauer

Edited: 16-Jan-03
Its somewhat akward to comment in a thread like this...but still..here;s an important thought, if youre going to contribute to this I'd like to remind those of you who've trained with me or have our videieos that if there's a maxim we use in training that originated from another source, please include that individuals name...we do it on video, we do it live, let's do it here. You know how we all feel when see my words on other peoples sites without proper by-line or mutated by switching an adjective or a word to make it appear original...in other words...and here's a maxim from Walt Lysak: "Always respect the source of your inspiration." Tony Example, in Danny's thread he wirtes: "When faced with just one opponent, and you doubt yourself, you're outnumbered" This was Dan Milllman's work of art (as phil pointed out) "What you practice, is what you'll do" This was the classic thought of Benny 'The jet' Urquidez
1/16/03 6:37 AM
rbradk

Edited: 16-Jan-03 07:01 AM
A few more.... "Clarity defines usefullness" "Awareness without skill is anxiety" "Never let pride or ego dictate your strategy" "You are better of addressing a bad feeling and finding out you were wrong, rather than ignoring it and finding out it was right" "What your opponents do is lock and load your arsenal by attacking you" "Tactical is anything that moves the fight forward FOR YOU"
1/16/03 7:05 AM
temp152885

Edited: 16-Jan-03 07:37 AM
"You are not as good as you think you are on some days and you are not as bad as you think you are on other days." "Intimidation is focusing on what your opponent is going to do to you rather than thinking about what you are going to do to your opponent" "If with no stress and no danger you are not doing it right, what happens when you throw in stress and danger, you need to stick to common sense things" "Understand the difference between fine and complex motor skills and parlor tricks……and what will work in real life" "If you are scared shitless, unconscious or dead, you cannot defend yourself" "When you start doing something for the first time, that will be the worst you will be." “You see more when you get better at looking” "Don’t believe everything you Fear." "Whatever you do to introduce a tool to a target is a tactic" "Techniques don’t win fights, people win fights" "Never memorize anything that can get in the way of your survival." "A good athlete is always working on the basics" "To work your balance, work off balance. That way you are always on balance." "Don’t measure your content of Intellectual Capital by buckets of sweat" "An untrained person freezes a trained person chokes." "Don’t confuse a trademark with the truth" Joe Mullings
1/16/03 10:20 AM
whitney

"Its not how you play your best shots, it's how you play your worst." Tom Watson "Failure is not falling down, it's staying down." "Are you training for your next fight or your last" "I give myself permission to fail, therefore I won't" "Its not the danger we fear it's the fear of danger" "The only thing we can do wrong in a fight is quit." "Make your fighting stance your everyday stance, and your everday stance your fighting stance." Musashi "When death is an alternative, injury has it's appeal." Col. George Day Josh PDR Team
1/16/03 10:48 AM
Time

My all time favorite "The cobra seeks to fix the eye of the bird, and in that moment of looking, predator and prey decide their fate." Victims create their own destiny. Very power words. The first time I heard this from Tony changed the way I train. Thanks Tony Pat Berter PDR Team Member
1/16/03 2:02 PM
tmorenz

"you can never get time back". "I'm not asking you to be perfect, I'm asking you to seek perfection." "Let your training be bloodless battle, so that battle is but just bloody training." -Roman Legion Maxim "The superior warrior shows no emotional attachment to any particular range of combat." t.
1/16/03 3:13 PM
Flashman

"In-Action is faster than action" "In a real fight experience is something you get shortly after you need it" "If half of what you practice doesn't work, you are wasting 50% of your training time"
1/16/03 4:32 PM
Tony Blauer

Hmmmm...who said all this stuff? I like it :-) weird but entertaining none the less, Ill let some more float in and I think what ill do is complile them and add training anecdotes and thoughts around what spawned the expression... T
1/16/03 4:49 PM
Stickgrappler
1351 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Coach Blauer, i expect the check in the mail for this idea :-) seriously, looking forward to the training anecdotes and thoughts around what spawned the expression...
1/16/03 5:31 PM
ironmongoose

Coach, why don't you make a hardback book, have one BTS maxim to a page, with glorious nature photography throughout (soaring eagles, fruit groves and sunsets), and sell it for thirty bucks apiece in fruity gift stores? HAHAHAHA... If you do THAT, then _I_ want a cheque.
1/16/03 7:44 PM
Tony Blauer

Hmmm, wow Jesse ....thats beautiful, but er, um, stick to psychology - [you and Kramer and your coffee table books] :-) Tony "The pen is mightier than the sword...but only when you really know how to use the sword." :-)
1/16/03 9:20 PM
ironmongoose

Serious, you could have an airbrushed pic of you in a tai chi posture in front of big yin-yang... uh, okay, no. Iron Mongoose's version: "The pen is mightier than the sword, because no thug expects you to shove your pen four inches up their nose before punching them in the throat."
1/17/03 3:12 AM
BreakUnose

Edited: 17-Jan-03
"The pen is mightier than the sword." Depends on the range.;) jerry
1/17/03 1:25 PM
taroson

Edited: 17-Jan-03
"The more you explore the psychological edge, the more obvious the physical tactic becomes." "You MUST give yourself permission to win!" "The foundation of the system and why it works is beacuse you do what you would do genetically...without any training." "If there is no psychological preparedness, there is no muscle memory." "Look for the stimulus before the stimulus to respond. If you move before the intention becomes action you have foiled or destroyed the tactic." "You can only beat the opponent when he makes a mistake. All defeat is a result of human error." There are so many, I never really stopped to think about it. Wow. Mike
1/18/03 12:49 AM
Eric Cobb

Edited: 18-Jan-03
Great Thread! I have literally pages of quotes and maxims... Tony is one of the most prolific writers of our age. That fact often gets lost in the shuffle and under the weight of everything else he does... Anyway, here are 2 of my favorites: "The key is fear management. I believe everything we all do (and don't do) is based upon our relationship to fear... The more you understand it, the more you control it." And, "Oftentimes the 'fear' beacon can be a spiritual guide if you look it in the eye, smile and get ready for the ride." Keep em' coming. Eric

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.