UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Sean Salmon, Wolfslair, Throwing a Fight, WTF?!

9/2/09 3:36 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mad Xyientist
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mmajunkie.com/news/16060/full-time-fighter-sean-salmon-on-biggest-career-mistake-and-new-fight-with-dante-rivera.mma

From the article:

I handled him very easily for the entire first round. He was able to land one very good elbow to my temple. I am embarrassed to admit that my first thought was that, "If he cut me and I can't go back to England, this is not worth it." How in the world could I be in a fight and think that if I got cut, it is not worth the win?

In the second round, I took him down again. He went for an armbar, I defended it (only to prove to myself that he couldn't get it), and then I put my arm back in to give him the win so that I could return to England, healthy. Just so you all know, that is the most embarrassing thing that I have ever admitted out loud.

It's worth the read.
9/2/09 3:38 PM
NVHighRoller
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yeah... just read that too.

Sounds fishy, but hope everything works out for him.
9/2/09 3:39 PM
DW
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thats  taking the easy way out in a fight, or a lie and he really got caught.  I would need to see the fight to make my decision, but I dont hate on him for it.  If he has to think of future fights as he is competing than he needs the money enough to not blame him.
9/2/09 3:41 PM
Mad Xyientist
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DW -  thats  taking the easy way out in a fight, or a lie and he really got caught.  I would need to see the fight to make my decision, but I dont hate on him for it.  If he has to think of future fights as he is competing than he needs the money enough to not blame him.

Can't really agree with that.  The integrity of the sport is important.

He's either a shitbag for throwing a fight or a slightly less bad shitbag for getting submitted and taking it away from his opponent with excuses. 

Either way I have NO idea why he thought this was a good idea for a column.
9/2/09 3:43 PM
Mad Xyientist

not to mention, if he was trying to not get injured, why would he allow his opponent to armbar him of all submissions?  One overzealous opponent and you're EXTREMELY injured.
9/2/09 3:50 PM
Card
1798 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

9/2/09 4:06 PM
MountainMedic
359 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

after reading that "article" i have come to the conclusion that brocop kicked him even harder than we all thought-MM
9/2/09 4:08 PM
DW
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mad Xyientist - 
DW -  thats  taking the easy way out in a fight, or a lie and he really got caught.  I would need to see the fight to make my decision, but I dont hate on him for it.  If he has to think of future fights as he is competing than he needs the money enough to not blame him.

Can't really agree with that.  The integrity of the sport is important.

He's either a shitbag for throwing a fight or a slightly less bad shitbag for getting submitted and taking it away from his opponent with excuses. 

Either way I have NO idea why he thought this was a good idea for a column.

you know, I was gonna post something similar to that but I thought I would get flamed for blaming a guy for thinking about his finances, so I agree, but I tried to word it in a nicer way :) ...This situation definitely isnt as bad as a full out work or throwing the fight for the promoter or someone else.  Him giving the guy his arm is similar to some guys who will turn their back or turtle up after taking a shot, they decide that they dont want to keep going and risk more damage so they quit fighting back. It makes me lose alot of respect for Salmon as a fighter, although I never thought much of his abilities as a fighter anyway...but I cant blame him personally for making his finances a priority over his Win/Loss record. 

If he really did get caught and is making up an excuse then he is definitely an asshole.
9/2/09 4:13 PM
Mad Xyientist

ya, sometimes I need to be nicer I suppose.

I just think the integrity of the sport is way too important.  We've come a LONG way, and the only thing that can do major damage to this sport at this point is a high profile, negligence-based death or questions about competitive integrity.  It's not fair to the entire sport to be throwing matches.
9/2/09 4:22 PM
ThreadKiller
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/02/09 4:22 PM
That guy gets sketchier with every column.

It sounds like he's had issues with multiple gyms and camps, he's has significant personal issues that he says led to heavy drinking, and he admitted to essentially throwing a fight.

I can't say that I really dig that guy any more. 
9/2/09 4:23 PM
Master Shredder
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Doesnt Salmon post here?

Maybe he can chime in on this...
9/2/09 4:40 PM
ThreadKiller
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Master Shredder -  Doesnt Salmon post here?

Maybe he can chime in on this...

I don't think that I've seen him on here, but I have seen his brother post.
9/2/09 4:42 PM
story97

I don't think it matters whether he posts here or not. he's a piece of shit either way.
9/2/09 4:51 PM
dutchwrap
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ whoaaha

so how do you know Sean may I ask? Has he burnt you the wrong way or fucked your mother or something? Just curious since you called him a piece of shit? please elaborate
9/2/09 4:52 PM
NHB USA
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMA should ban Salmon.
9/2/09 4:55 PM
Squared Circle
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ultimate extreme cagefighting doesn't have any integrity.   This is par for the course.

9/2/09 5:05 PM
BUFFGEO
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Im sure this kinda shit happens out there... but dont fuckin talk about it!!! sheeesh man!
9/2/09 5:12 PM
CRBMoney14

sounds like the next fickett
9/2/09 5:14 PM
smoogy
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Allan Weickert (6-6) def. Sean Salmon (16-8) via Submission (Armbar) R2 2:05
9/2/09 5:27 PM
obi1

ThreadKiller - 

I dont know enough about the situation, but Sean is a really good guy. He is very loyal to his friends, great teamate and a great competitor. I am not sure if this is about handling a loss or whatevs.. I think its easy to talk shit about somebody you have never met, and i have been guilty of this like anyone else. Sean got me a job, at one of the lowest points i have had in my life. I will always be gratefull for that, and i think this demonstrates the kinda guy he is. There is nothing this guy wont do for his friends and family. To attack him and his character is unjust imo...
9/2/09 5:42 PM
dutchwrap

obi1 - 
ThreadKiller - 

I dont know enough about the situation, but Sean is a really good guy. He is very loyal to his friends, great teamate and a great competitor. I am not sure if this is about handling a loss or whatevs.. I think its easy to talk shit about somebody you have never met, and i have been guilty of this like anyone else. Sean got me a job, at one of the lowest points i have had in my life. I will always be gratefull for that, and i think this demonstrates the kinda guy he is. There is nothing this guy wont do for his friends and family. To attack him and his character is unjust imo...
9/2/09 5:44 PM
ThreadKiller

obi1 - 
ThreadKiller - 

Don't shoot the messenger, hoss.

He's the one that admitted to the world that he gave his opponent the win.

He's the one that spoke about issues with Wolfslair. I didn't care for how he characterized Duke Roufus' gym finally meeting his requirements only after it doubled in size and Duke completely changed his attitude. That was an exceptionally awkward statement about his new camp.

Based upon those characterizations in his article, I reserve the right to feel however the fuck I want about him.

Next....
9/2/09 5:47 PM
dutchwrap

^ i think that was directed towards story and not you
9/2/09 5:47 PM
dutchwrap

or should have been
9/2/09 5:59 PM
ThreadKiller

dutchwrap - ^ i think that was directed towards story and not you

Salmon wrote the story himself!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.