UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Mole

9/2/09 7:00 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kevin Curtis
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I got Rick Bayless' Mexican Kitchen cookbook from the library, and am going to attempt the 25 ingredient "Oaxacan Black Mole with Braised Chicken" recipe.

I picked up the 4 kinds of dried chiles, Mexican oregano, cinnamon and cloves from the spice vendor at the farmer's market at work. He asked if I was making a mole, and told me to check his blog @

http://spicehound.blogspot.com/search?q=mole

... nice blog.

Anybody have experience making/eating mole... what to expect?
9/3/09 2:58 AM
NECKCRANK808
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

no but I will try this too
9/3/09 3:00 AM
NECKCRANK808
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

can you post the recipe you are using
9/3/09 10:16 AM
Kevin Curtis
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here's the ingredients... I'll type up directions later
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OAXACAN BLACK MOLE with Braised Chicken

Serves 8 (with about 10 cups of sauce, which will mean leftovers to make enchiladas or more chicken)

11 medium ( ~5-1/2 oz) dried mulato chiles
6 medium (~2oz) dried chilhualces chiles *
6medium (~2oz) dried pasilla chiles
1 dried chipotle chile (preferably tan-brown meco)
1 corn tortilla torn into small pieces
2 ¼” slices of white onion
4 unpealed garlic cloves
~2 cups rich lard or veggie oil for frying chiles
½ cup sesame seeds, plus a few for garnish
¼ cup pecan halves
¼ cup unskinned or Spanish peanuts
¼ cup unskinned almonds
~ 10 cups chicken broth
1 lb green tomatoes roughly chopped
4oz tomatillos, husked, rinsed and roughly chopped
2 slices stale bread, toasted until very dark
¼ tsp ground cloves
½ tsp ground black pepper
½ tsp cinnamon, preferably Mexican canela
scant tsp oregano, preferably Mexican
½ tsp dried thyme
½ ripe banana
½ cup (~3 oz) finely chopped Mexican chocolate
2 of 3 avacado leaves if you have
about 1 tsp salt
~1/4 cup or more of sugar
2 lg (3-1/2 to 4 lb) chickens cut into quarters
9/3/09 8:53 PM
NECKCRANK808

Edited: 09/03/09 8:53 PM
man that is a huge list of ingredients I will have to try this though

thanks for the recipe
9/5/09 9:17 AM
Kevin Curtis

*Even in Oaxaca, chilhuacle are expensive, and not always available, so folks have learned to make black mole w/ 6oz mulato, 2-1/2oz pasilla, 1oz guajillo, and 1 chipotle

1 Pull out stems and attached seed pods from chiles. Tear them open, and shake or scrape out seeds.

Place seeds and torn up tortilla in ungreased ~ 9” pan over medium heat (smoke alert!), shaking pan regularly until burned to charcoal black (~15 min). Scrape into fine mesh strainer and rinse for 30sec and xfer to blender.

Set ungreased skillet over medium heat… lay piece of foil & lay onion slices and garlic cloves on that. Roast until soft & very dark (about 5 min on each side of onion slices & about 15 min for garlic – turn frequently). Cool garlic & combine with onion in lg bowl.

Turn oven to 350. Measure 2 cups lard/oil (~1/2” depth). When hot begin frying chiles a couple at a time (they’ll unfurl quickly, and release aroma… after about 30 seconds they will have lightened and be well toasted (should be crisp when cool but not burnt smelling). Drain well. Place in bowl, cover with hot tap water, and let rehydrate for 30 min… stirring regularly to ensure even soak. Drain and reserve liquid.

Place seeds in nuts on separate baking sheets/skillets. Seeds take about 12 min (to a dark brown) and nuts slightly longer. Reserve few sesame seeds for garnish… place remaining seeds and nuts in blender with 1-1/2 cup chicken broth, and blend to smooth puree… pour in bowl.

W/out rinsing blender, green tomatoes and tomatillos with ½ cup of broth and puree. Pour into other bowl. Combine onion, garlic, bread, cloves, black ppper, cinnamon, oregano, thyme, banana ans ½ cup broth and blend to smooth puree... pour into small bowl.

Scoop ½ the chiles, ½ cup soaking liquid, and blend to smooth puree, then pour into other bowl. Epeat with remaining chiles and another ½ cup soaking liquid.

In a very large (8-9 qt) pot (peferably a Dutch Oven or Mexican Cazuela) heat 3 tbsps of lard or oil and set over medium high heat. When very hot add the tomato pure and stir and scrape for 15-20 min until reduced, thick as tomato past, and very dark. Add the nut puree and reduce (to color of black olive paste), about 8 minutes. Add banana spice-puree and stir/scrape for another 7-8 minutes.

Add chile puree, stir well and let reduce over med-low heat until very thick and almost black, about 30 min, stirring regularly (not constantly). Stir in remaining 7 cups of both, the chocolate and avocado leaves, partially cover and simmer gently for about an hour. Season with salt and sugar... remove avocado leaves. In batches in a loosely covered blender, puree the sauce until smooth as possible, then pass thru medium-mesh strainer into lg bowl.

Return mole to pot and heat to simmer. Nestle chicken leg and thigh quarters into mole, partially cover and cook for 1 min, then nestle chicken breast quarters, partially cover and simmer for 20-25 min until chicken is done.

Serve chicken covered with generous amount of mole.
9/6/09 10:31 PM
Kevin Curtis

Damn you Rick Bayless... damn you!

I spent 5 hours trying to make a mole, and I ended up with a majone.

I have never had mole, so I was not sure what to expect... and I'm not sure what I made is typical of a mole.

Everything went pretty much as described in his book, but my wife and I were less than pleased with the results... the final product was a somewhat bitter-spicy hot mix that that reminded us of a paste of hot peppers and coffee... yum! And lets just say that I've seem more appetizing things in the toilet at the Greyhound Station.

Oh well... no guts, no glory.
9/7/09 11:54 AM
Pito Chueco
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Man, that sucks that it didnt turn out well. It looks like it was a tedious task.

In my opinion, Mole is a love it or leave it food. I love it, but my wife who loves mexican food cant stand it.
9/7/09 1:08 PM
crescentwrench
237 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bayless said on the Top Chef show that it took him 20 years to get that mole right.  Your journey has just begun my fren.
9/7/09 3:00 PM
Kevin Curtis

crescentwrench -  Bayless said on the Top Chef show that it took him 20 years to get that mole right.  Your journey has just begun my fren.

Au contraire, mon frère... I think this journey has ended.
9/9/09 6:15 PM
NECKCRANK808

pics???

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.