UnderGround Forums

Cigars, Beer & Poker Ground >> WSOP Main Event so far

9/3/09 6:49 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
WrestlingSucks
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Does anyone else think that Phil Helmuth is destined to never reach a final table again? He seems completely incapable of staying consistent. He plays more marginal hands than any pro I've ever seen other than Hansen.

Do the pros who post here think that Daniel Negraneu(sp) lost so quickly because he was sick and didn't really care? He seemed to play way under his ability.

Also, What is the deal with the no raises/ min raises with pocket aces from top poker pros during day one? Is that because they wanted to keep pots small, knowing their name might entice someone to call and donkey them? I don't understand what was happening.
9/3/09 8:29 PM
TitoIsBACK
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phil Hellmuth is still the greatest no limit tournament player to ever live. He will win the main event again IMO.

I don't think it was so much of Negreanu not caring as it was him not being on top of his game because he was so sick. Either way, it made for an early exit. Better luck next year.

Raising with aces early on in a tournament doesn't really matter much. People call with so many hands if you raise anyway, so might as well keep the pot small and then control the action after the flop.
9/4/09 1:34 PM
joesonshuevos
188 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TitoIsBACK - Phil Hellmuth is still the greatest no limit tournament player to ever live. He will win the main event again IMO.

I will take Ungar. Philly will never win a main event I am quite certain.
9/6/09 1:31 AM
PR
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow from what I saw Erik Lindgren just played awful. I mean, its on TV so we can never be too hard on the players and the moves they make, but my jaw hit the floor seeing how he played hand after hand, just garbage decision after garbage decision.
9/6/09 10:14 PM
Koma
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Wow from what I saw Erik Lindgren just played awful. I mean, its on TV so we can never be too hard on the players and the moves they make, but my jaw hit the floor seeing how he played hand after hand, just garbage decision after garbage decision."

One of the news sites had a quote from him after the episode aired. He basically said he was embarrassed and that he actually played worse than the episode portrayed.

The WSOP coverage has been pretty disappointing to me just b/c they didnt cover the 50K mixed and opted for "Ante Up For Africa" instead of another event. Also way too much Jason Alexander coverage.

How do they pick the featured table anyways?
9/7/09 1:40 AM
StillNoTop10wins

A lot of top pros play marginal hands.  Hellmuth is tighter than most.  He went very far last year.  I'm not sure why he would be destined to never win it again.

Negreanu was probably looking for a quick double up or an early exit.  Either way, he would have been able to get some rest.

A lot of the big names made an early exit.  The action in Bobby's Room was insane, so perhaps it was for the better.

I agree that the coverage has sucked.  I love Seinfeld but frankly could give a crap about Jason Alexander.  From what I saw, he was not a good player at all.  I am glad they gave Dwan some coverage.  Also, I loved the coverage of Lex Veldhuis on day 1.  He was making some sick plays.  The best coverage generally comes in the later days anyways (as chip leaders emerge, and pros begin making runs).
9/7/09 1:44 AM
StillNoTop10wins

Koma -  
How do they pick the featured table anyways?

They try to pick the most interesting table...often times with one or more top pros.  Ivey was supposed to be on the featured table on day 1 and he denied them because he had been playing poker for hours and was too tired (for TV).  Sometimes, they make excellent selections (Humberto vs Khan) and sometimes not (tv comedian vs anybody).
9/7/09 9:06 AM
TitoIsBACK

"Also, I loved the coverage of Lex Veldhuis on day 1. He was making some sick plays."

I hate players like him. He plays so bad. When I saw the way he was playing, I knew he would be out soon enough. You can't keep playing that stupid and expect to make a deep run.
9/7/09 1:59 PM
StillNoTop10wins

So bad?  He got 7th place in the $40k buy-in WSOP event.  I wish I could play that bad.
9/7/09 2:19 PM
TitoIsBACK

StillNoTop10wins -  So bad?  He got 7th place in the $40k buy-in WSOP event.  I wish I could play that bad.

lol I suppose you think Scott Montgomery plays good too.
9/7/09 4:45 PM
StillNoTop10wins

^ You defeated your own argument.  Scott Montgomery did have a deep run in 2008, making the final table.  It's not like he was just some donk that got lucky either.  Montgomery was a professional player, had several good cashes at that WSOP and made the final table of a WPT event earlier that year.
9/7/09 4:54 PM
TitoIsBACK

StillNoTop10wins -  ^ You defeated your own argument.  Scott Montgomery did have a deep run in 2008, making the final table.  It's not like he was just some donk that got lucky either.  Montgomery was a professional player, had several good cashes at that WSOP and made the final table of a WPT event earlier that year.

I mentioned his name for a reason. He has very little respect from fellow poker pros. He made a deep run in 2008 after a HORRIBLE play.....yea he played that hand so well with the ace rag against that amateur. He's an awful player with a tremendous amount of luck, and many well-known pros agree.
9/7/09 6:45 PM
StillNoTop10wins

TitoIsBACK - 
StillNoTop10wins -  ^ You defeated your own argument.  Scott Montgomery did have a deep run in 2008, making the final table.  It's not like he was just some donk that got lucky either.  Montgomery was a professional player, had several good cashes at that WSOP and made the final table of a WPT event earlier that year.

I mentioned his name for a reason. He has very little respect from fellow poker pros. He made a deep run in 2008 after a HORRIBLE play.....yea he played that hand so well with the ace rag against that amateur. He's an awful player with a tremendous amount of luck, and many well-known pros agree.

Where do you get this "luck" that you speak of?  I'd like to buy some.
9/7/09 7:07 PM
TitoIsBACK

StillNoTop10wins - 
TitoIsBACK - 

Where do you get this "luck" that you speak of?  I'd like to buy some.

Everybody has the same amount of luck throughout their poker career. Most peoples luck is balanced out throughout their sessions, but some use all their luck in a short period of time. Take Gus Hansen for example. In 10 years, this guy will not be a successful poker player. He has used his luck all at one time, and most certainly will die out within the next few years because he is not a strong poker player.
9/7/09 10:08 PM
StillNoTop10wins

^ Phil Galfond does not agree with you.

I guess since everyone has the same amount of luck, I can expect to make 7 WPT final tables and win 3 titles.  Sweet.
9/7/09 10:13 PM
TitoIsBACK

StillNoTop10wins -  ^ Phil Galfond does not agree with you.

I guess since everyone has the same amount of luck, I can expect to make 7 WPT final tables and win 3 titles.  Sweet.

Apparently reading comprehension is not your strong point.
9/7/09 10:19 PM
StillNoTop10wins

I read that Gus Hansen is not a strong poker player.  LuLz.
9/7/09 10:22 PM
TitoIsBACK

StillNoTop10wins -  I read that Gus Hansen is not a strong poker player.  LuLz.

He isn't....all his luck just happened to occur in a short period of time. You'll see a few years down the road.
9/7/09 10:57 PM
StillNoTop10wins

Yeah, and Johnny Chan didn't cash in the main event for 16 years prior to 2008.  I guess his luck was just all used up in 1987-1989.  He was never a good player.

9/7/09 10:59 PM
TitoIsBACK

StillNoTop10wins - Yeah, and Johnny Chan didn't cash in the main event for 16 years prior to 2008.  I guess his luck was just all used up in 1987-1989.  He was never a good player.

Johnny Chan is one of the best players ever.
9/13/09 10:59 PM
WrestlingSucks
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The best player doesn't always win in tournaments. I'd think that shouldnt need to be said. I thought Veldhuis was going to tighten up after hitting his crap hands and showing his bluffs but he never did, at least not that it showed. I wish it would have shown where his chips went
9/14/09 3:46 PM
TitoIsBACK

WrestlingSucks - The best player doesn't always win in tournaments. I'd think that shouldnt need to be said. I thought Veldhuis was going to tighten up after hitting his crap hands and showing his bluffs but he never did, at least not that it showed. I wish it would have shown where his chips went

He is not capable of tightening up. He is like most foreigners (although mostly RUSSIANS) whereas they are entirely too aggressive and don't know to tighten up. This is why I am very impressed with Demidov. He is a very rare Russian when it comes to poker.
10/12/09 4:35 PM
ChimpFL
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do you guys already know who is in the final table? I was trying to not get spoiled then my buddy gave me the new Card Player magazine and now I know. I also know who I think will win.
10/12/09 10:46 PM
WrestlingSucks

Yeah, most people know. Hell, they are advertising the biggest name on commercials already.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.