UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Will this sauce work?

9/6/09 9:58 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mikusoraiden
201 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have two chicken breasts brining now and am making some fried rice later on. I am gonna grill the breasts to go with the rice.

I wanted to whip up a little asian style bbq sauce while I was downstairs so mixed 1 part ketchup to 2 parts Srirachi. Then I matched all that amount with Soy Sauce and mixed. Then added garlic powder, onion powder, sparingly added mesquite seasoning bits, a couple good pinches of white sugar, and finally some fish sauce (couple good dashes). Will this make an ok sauce to put on the chicken when nearly done grilling a la bbq sauce??
9/6/09 9:59 PM
Mikusoraiden
201 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

p.s. I'm just now getting into cooking/grilling well and have a lot to learn. This has become my new favorite subforum. I'll be using a 4 burner propane grill (brinkman, I know, not the best but it was a gift and will act as my starter grill)

I had just learned about brining the breasts before grilling and boy does it make a world of difference! Thanks foodground!
9/7/09 8:49 AM
Mark1
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I usually hammer out my chicken breasts until they are about an inch thick all over.  They cook quickly and evenly, and stay juicy.

Overcooking causes dry chicken.

Mark
9/7/09 1:11 PM
crescentwrench
308 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

minus the sasoning bits that sounds like a good sauce.  Just tasting and throwing stuff in is how I do just about everything.  
9/7/09 1:35 PM
Mikusoraiden

I ended up adding rice vinegar too. It turned out pretty good but needs some adjusting. Yeah, I hammer out the chicken too, I forgot to add that, thanks though! I couldn't really taste the Mesquite flavor so I'm glad that didnt ruin it or anything.
9/11/09 11:14 AM
Mikusoraiden

thanks, I will try that.

what temps do you reduce at on the stove? I have the typical 1-10 dial with the coil element. Sorry, these are dumb questions but I have a lot of basics to learn...I really want to get that good foundation of HOW to cook so I can have confidence when it comes to throwing stuff together on my own without strict recipes.

Obviously recipes are still great ways to share ideas but most of you here already seem like you have good foundations in cooking and that's what I'm setting out to develop now. Its really fun too lol.

Just yesterday I bought more kitchen stuff...slowly but surely. (kinda broke) Anyway, I got a digi thermo with the remote probe so that'll be handy. I really wanna get some cast iron cookware too.

Thanks for any advice.

Another dumb question: Are Rice Vinegar and Rice Wine Vinegar two different things? I cannot seem to find "Rice Wine Vinegar" at the stores near me.
9/11/09 12:21 PM
Mikusoraiden

thanks again! I always feel like I'm going to burn things like that on 8 but I'll try it out.

I found out that Rice Wine Vinegar and Rice Vinegar are the same thing so my question was answered!

Anyone have any dumb questions (rather, questions they feel dumb about asking)? This is the thread to ask :)
9/11/09 12:36 PM
crescentwrench
308 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was wondering too.  But I think most vinegar comes from some sort of fermentation (wine) so it makes sense.  
Bobby's right about heat imo.  Just boil that shit away.  Unless it's a sweeter thicker type sauce that might bubble up a lot and boil over, in which case you either have to let up a little on the heat or stand over it and stir.  

Some creamy/fatty sauces will break with too much heat, like if you're adding cold butter to some froo froo French sauce.  But the one Bobby gave you can just pour the coals to.    

Also cast iron is a great old school way to cook.  And cheap too.  Don't buy it from Blood Bath and Beyond or anything though, go to Ace Hardware or a place like that.  You won't get raped on price.  Preseasoned is the norm now and saves a step, but I'd still not bust out with the cornbread right off.  Learn how to care for it, then buy about 4 pounds of bacon and cook only that in it for a while.  Then graduate to fried chicken, chicken fried steak, fried frying things.  Eventually you'll get a good cure and your skillet will be slick as teflon.  Oh, and NO ACID.  That means no tomato sauce, no baked beans with tomato sauce, no vinegar based things.  Your food will taste like a rusty nail.  

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.