UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Chocolate Fail

9/7/09 9:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mullet @ Heart
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Okay, I suck at anything desserty. I tried to melt some chocolate down to dip some gummy and cinnamon bears. Total fail. The chips I used said "Great for melting" and "Great for candy". I also added some butter.  I tried the double boiler, microwave, and finally low heat saucepan.  Here was the result:

Somebody please explain how this chocolate melting bullshit works.

Thanks.
9/7/09 11:44 PM
flemsnopes
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Put it in a saucepan on low heat. Stir a lot or it will burn.

Add peanut butter if the jackass country you moved to doesn't sell Reese's cups.

Pour liquid into muffin molds and let them set in the fridge.

Eat.

If you're going to do bears again, you might try dipping them in the melted chocolate and setting them aside to cool one at a time so they don't turn into an amophous clump.
9/8/09 12:31 AM
Mullet @ Heart
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why did my chocolate turn out like that? Wrong kind of chocolate?
9/8/09 12:50 AM
samichlaus
244 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm guessing you got some water in there and your chocolate seized. Wooden spoons, cutting boards, warming it with a lid or an over-vigorous double boiler are all suspects.
9/8/09 8:16 PM
Mullet @ Heart

Alrighty. Thanks. I'll try again soon.
9/8/09 8:21 PM
samichlaus
244 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did it suddenly get coarse & grainy and lose it's shine?
9/8/09 9:45 PM
Mullet @ Heart

^ Ayep.
9/9/09 12:06 AM
samichlaus

It got wet. A little shortening will buy you some insurance.
9/9/09 12:53 AM
Mullet @ Heart

Could the butter have fucked it up? Do I need the butter? Will chips alone melt down okay?

Damn. Talk about a fish outta water.
9/9/09 5:02 AM
crescentwrench
240 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yo' shit got bogged!  It usually happens with too fast melting or going too long with the melt.  

I didn't know about water doing it too.  But butter is like 20% water so if water does that then that is probably the culprit.   That stuff looks like you tried to split its atoms so I can't imagine improper heat was your problem.  

I say try it without butter.  Go sloooooow.  When I double boil it there isn't even bubbles in the water, I just keep it as hot as it came out of the tap.   I stir every now and then until the chocolate starts to get soft, then I stir more often.  Kill the heat before it's fully melted and let residual heat take it the rest of the way.  Keep it on the water and stir sometimes to keep it melted.  

If I nuke it I do it for 45 seconds on 50% power, stir, then 20 seconds at a time after that stirring in between.  

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.