UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> Suggest me a bike (motorcycle)

9/8/09 11:38 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
simthefarmer
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I should be getting my motorcylcle driver’s licence later this week. I would like to start looking to purchase a bike.

I don’t know much about motorcycles and this would be my first bike. Suggest me a good beginner bike considering theses points :

-Used
-Budget under 2000$
-Was thinking of somewhere between 450-750cc
-I usually like plain/sober looking bikes. I don’t really like the flashy sports bikes with lots of plastic and the costums with lots of chrome.
-Some bikes i saw and that i liked : Honda CB450-750, Suzuki GS500, BWM F650GS (probably out of budget though).
-I live in the city and work 10min from home so the bike would do a lot of city mileage. Although, i would certainly like to take the bike for rides on country roads/highways on the weekend.

Please suggest me a bike that you think would fit my criterias. Also, please give me pointers on things i should look for, avoid or consider in my search.

Thanks.
9/10/09 5:36 PM
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds like you're looking for a 'standard'.

The GS500 is a fine starter bike.

In that same vein look at the suzuki sv650 naked. I had one for a year and 10k+ miles. Awesome bike for beginners and experienced folks.

The honda 599 is also similar but might cost too much.

Since you're considering dual sports like the f650gs, look at the kawasaki klr650. Its the poor man's version and is a true workhorse.

The KLR is kinda tall and heavy. If you want something similar but smaller and more fun, suzuki has the drz-400s (dual sportish) and drz-400sm. (supermoto version, meaning more street oriented)
9/18/09 9:00 AM
sadic1

How tall are you? The reason I ask is that if you're short but an experienced rider, you'll be able to handle pretty much any bike, but if you're short and inexperienced, you really want something you can physically manhandle while you learn how to really manage the size/weight/physics of a bike.

I'm 5'7" and the Honda 450 I started on what perfect. Pretty much any 400-450 is a great starter bike, but if you're tall and want a standard you won't get tired of no matter how experiences you are, you can pick up a Kawasaki KZ1000 for the money you're talking about and it will be fast. Also, look at Suzuki Bandits, either 600 or 1100.
9/18/09 10:45 AM
simthefarmer

i'm 5'11
9/20/09 12:38 PM
gsx_r

Like big_slacker said. GS500 or ex500, if you're on the heavyer side(200+lbs) go with a sv650.

I started on the street on a gs500, great bike for battling city traffic. Spend the dollars(~$100) and upgrade the suspension and you've got a bike that'll be fun for a long time.
3/15/10 2:41 AM
NinjaNate

Honda CBF 250 or SPADA 250...learn your road craft and after at least a year upgrade to something bigger.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.