UnderGround Forums

JKD UnderGround >> Two Worst Martial Arts Techniques of All Time!

9/14/09 12:01 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Stephan Kesting
178 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Free Book/Course for BJJ Beginners, Owner

I posted this on the BJJ forum, just because that's where I mostly hang out, but it definitely deserves to be here too. I think I remember showing Philip Gelinas (sled dog) one of these techniques back in the day - I think he may have just sadly shaken his head, turned on his heel, and walked away...
9/14/09 1:16 AM
shen
664 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^ That is some solid stuff right there!

In all seriousness, at a Jujitsu convention, the "grandmaster" of Ketsugo Jujitsu taught us a series of FINGERLOCKS AGAINST PUNCHES.

Yep, the assailant punches, you catch the punch and peel the fingers of the fist open and right into a painful finger lock!

I pity the man who ever tries to punch me.
9/14/09 2:25 PM
WidespreadPanic
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd have to guess Fumio Demura for the baseball bat, and Ashida Kim for the Ninja knife. I don't ever recall seeing the kick up knife technique in any book and I've looked through most of them.

As my entry, I like the two handed, five finger tiger claw to the chest where all ten fingers go in to the second knuckle. (seen in the Big Boss by BL).

The other would be the spinal rip by "The Predator" in the movie of the same name.

9/14/09 7:48 PM
Stephan Kesting
178 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Free Book/Course for BJJ Beginners, Owner
Widespread panic, those are good guesses but those AREN'T the source of those specific techniques.

Here's a hint though: the knife technique isn't from ''japanese" Ninjas...
9/15/09 1:06 AM
WidespreadPanic

SK, there are only a few groups that use the name Ninjas, and it's a Japanese term. So, if you mean one of those in movies, it sounds a bit like a Jackie Chan move but you say it comes from a book. The second goofiest book on knife fighting I know is from Michael Echanis, the paramilitary guy. I have his books somewhere, but don't recall seeing it in those, though.

Lots of Japanese guys have broken baseball bats in demos, but don't recall seeing them grabbing the broken end. I stopped looking at Karate and MA mags in about 1988, so if you saw it there since that time, you got me there. If I had to pick someone it would be Yamaguchi.

9/15/09 1:40 AM
Prik Khee Noo

Stephen Hayes for the knife technique?

Nakayama for the baseball bat?
9/26/09 4:22 AM
Burton
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JKDU--MMA For The Street, BJJ, Kali, President
Stephen,
at the 1:00 mark, it must have been the upward block, as the outward block would never work. ;)
10/30/09 11:34 PM
Stephan Kesting

Free BJJ eBook, Owner
The knife technique came from a book called "Knights of Darkness" about Chinese Ninjas

The bat 'defense' came from a book called "Weapons of the Street" by Dr. Ted Gamborella
10/30/09 11:34 PM
Stephan Kesting

Free BJJ eBook, Owner
 Burton - the next time I get attacked by a bat I'll try the upward block.  I'll let you know how it goes
10/31/09 9:48 AM
WidespreadPanic

Stephan Kesting - The knife technique came from a book called "Knights of Darkness" about Chinese Ninjas

The bat 'defense' came from a book called "Weapons of the Street" by Dr. Ted Gamborella
K of Darkness is limited preview (no pics) on Google books. Link

Ted's stuff is notoriously bad - I should have guessed him.

-------
Since it's Halloween, your chances of being attacked by a bat are probably  pretty  good! :-P
11/6/09 12:50 AM
FullBlastJKD

Stephan, will you please stop wasting valuable time when you could be producing more videos? jeez man
12/30/09 2:55 PM
None So Blind
211 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WidespreadPanic -The second goofiest book on knife fighting I know is from Michael Echanis, the paramilitary guy. I have his books somewhere, but don't recall seeing it in those, though.
Holy blast from the past - I remember reading that one drunken night in a frat house in the 80's, some weird stoner guy had an Echanis book, he told me it was a "Navy SEAL - CIA knife executions manual" or s/t equally wild. I looked it through, I remember being intrigued by the reverse grip, it was the first time I'd ever seen that.

Then I leafed through the text at the beginning and read the stuff about the magic Hwarang Do powers his masters were teaching him, and it was rapidly downhill from there, esp. what with the rolls, flipping, lifting people over your head, and so on...
1/6/10 1:47 PM
Kai Tremeche

Wow, knights of Darkness.

...I guess we should have figured it was shiet with the Author's name being Haha Lung
5/16/10 12:28 AM
MasterDebater

Edited: 05/16/10 12:28 AM
I have seen a lot of crap over the years. Kind of used to it.<br />Your presentation of it was worth watching. comedy gold----well, maybe silver but still funny.
5/20/10 2:56 AM
elbowgoouch
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Respectfully Stephan, you need to kiai on the high block to unleash it's true bat stopping power. (also helps to mask the sound of your forearm shattering)

Nice presentation btw
6/22/10 3:16 PM
twinkletoesCT
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Modern Self-Defense Center, Head Instructor
Found this today and thought of this thread. Awesome.
9/7/10 1:39 PM
ryanJ
289 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was in a class where the instructor was teaching gun disarms and he said his favorite disarm was to square up with his attacker (not angle himself away from the gun)and grab the slide of his attacker's semi auto handgun.

"At that point, the gun can't fire..."

I have seen a lot of bad/unlikely to work techniques but that had to be one of the ones that was the most irresponsible.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.