UnderGround Forums

LegalGround >> Had deck fire, roomie's friend's kayak damaged

9/17/09 11:42 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Road Warrior Fin
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Okay

I had a fire about 3 weeks ago on my deck and it ended up screwing some of my stuff up out there.  The condo association will cover fixing the deck under their insurance.

Here is the thing.  A roomie (Non leased signed) had let one of his buddies store his kayak out on the back deck.  It was damaged in the fire (but fixable).  The guy has threatened to sue ME because of the fire.  I had made no claim or taken any payments or anything in order to store this item.

I have also made the roomie well aware of renter's insurance several times before this ever happened.

Does he have any water what so ever to try to sue me in small claims?
9/17/09 5:30 PM
jbapk
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is very state and fact specific, so it's hard to say definatly. Generally in your situation, where you're storing something as a favor with no benefit yourself, there's a very limited chance of recovery, unless the damage was intentional or you were extremely reckless. My guess is that you're ok.
9/17/09 10:08 PM
Road Warrior Fin
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

State of TN - Fire Marshall determined the fire was accidental and provoked by a smaller leaf fire hitting the propane tank.
9/18/09 2:10 PM
goku
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bailor bailee...

...thats all i got

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.