UnderGround Forums

SoldierGround >> Blauer Training in MAC? Please squash this rumor..

9/17/09 3:23 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
The Fraz
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have heard that the Blauer "Spear" training is going to be incorporated into Modern Army Combatives.... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SQUASH THIS RUMOR or give me a reason to like it...........
9/23/09 7:53 AM
Nagster5
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know that Matt Larsen is friends with Blauer, but he definitely has some problems with parts of his philosophy.

I know that the MACP uses his Blauer suits to train in, but I doubt it will go much further.
9/23/09 6:55 PM
The Fraz

Ya I know about the Blauer suits, I haven't used one yet but I have heard good things about it. I am just refering to a rumor I heard from someone that was at the tournament. I do not know if any of it is true but it has aparently been going around a little bit.

This is what I was told, Tony Blauer is up in Washington talking to the "Big wigs" and trying to sell them on his "SPEAR" system. He is arguing that all the current MACP does is bread MMA fighters for the UFC. It was also told to me that there almost wasn't a competition this year because of this or something relating to it.

Once again I do not know if any of this is true and if anyone has any true insight to this could you clarify or deny this.
10/23/09 8:59 AM
JasonKeaton
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am not sure what all the going ons are but I will tell you this.

Whether or not any of this is true or isn't may not be the most important thing. we should always look carefully at what we are doing. We all know our training is solid but we can always learn and improve MACP. The spear could be a valuable asset but I don't think it is a complete package. For self defense or civilian training it may be but I don't think it is for the military. I do think Tony is very intelligent and has good ideas.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't listen to his ideas nor does it men we should drop what we are doing and do nothing but SPEAR.

Everyone has s different answer. I think we should take a step back evernow and then and reevaluate ourselves.

I think there are portions of different systems and ideas that we could add and maybe somethings that we could subtract. It is a natural part of growth.

We should all know though that change and streamlining takes forever in the Military

Jason
11/3/09 10:29 PM
slomo91978

Jason,

I agree with you 98% brother. I always had a misconception of what the Blauer Tactical Systems taught. I must say that after attending the SPEAR operator course, I have seen a weakness in our system that SPEAR training can cover. It is very easy to feel superior with the growth that MACP has incured and the true Warrior mentality that we build in our students. You are exactly right by taking a step back and doing periodic evaluations to keep the program growing stronger.

I feel that the SPEAR system adds techniques and methodolgy for the CQB environment. The clinch work we do in MACP is solid and effective but the SPEAR system adds to that a great tool. No instructor in BTS will ever claim that the SPEAR system is a no-all-end-all martial art. It is exactly what they claim, "A bridge to your next attack." It is simply the same thing as MACP, another tool for your kit bag. The principals and techniques in both are sound. Therefore, neither is better or worse, but the combination of the two are extremely effective in producing true Warriors.

I also learned alot in the course that can make Level 3 MACP Blauer suit curriculum more effective. We don't conduct the threshold drill and when we put the suits on, we just bang and lose focus of the desired goal. Even something as basic as the encroachment drill, the "Spear and Clear" or "Spear and Smere" drills would be GREAT additions to our program.

I think you hit it on the head though Jason and hope all is going well. Thanks for the training when I was down there for school. It was an enjoyable learning expierience to get beat on by a blind guy but I also think it was the only piece of sanity I had while I was down there. Thanks again brother.

Matt O'Neil
11/4/09 11:26 AM
JasonKeaton
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL

Matt, glad you enjoyed it.

I think the drills you mentioned would be a solid addition. I think there is a need for a goal in certain situations and we need to make sure that we are using those suits to their maximum. Although I ahve heard of " Spear and clear" I am still not sure what it is. Butthe idea is good.

Another thing I thing w could get from Tony would be hhow to tailor the Scenario TRaining and Blauer suit stuff for our needs

I think too that the SOCP will be abig thing coming up
11/5/09 4:10 PM
slomo91978

Jason,

SOCP??? I'm in a dilema about whether to reenlist or not with the way the Army has changed so much. I miss working around guys that want to do their job and want to do it well. I kind of miss giving Soldiers the tools to enhance their ability in the combat world.

Matt
11/6/09 8:42 AM
JasonKeaton

Maybe a civilian Combatives postion?

Special Operators Combatives Program. I think Greg Thompson deeloped it for the needs of the Groups out of Bragg. We received a bit of a lesson on it at the Army Championships. Really solid.\
11/7/09 4:06 PM
slomo91978

Intresting, I'm curious to see the details of the program. I'm sure coming from Greg, it's got to be solid and pretty descent. You'll have to keep me in the loop since my information flow is horrible in Iraq. You'll have to let me know about the tournament from this year. I tried to email Matt but never heard back.

So yeah, I've really put a lot of thought to doing the civilian instructor job. It was rewarding to give dudes tools to make them better at their job. It gave a sense of purpose to "Turn on the light switch" to further and realistic training. I think thats why I enjoyed the SPEAR system stuff so much because it turned on another light for me. I noticed Martinez went through it too....good stuff.

Drop me a line sometime Jason. matt.oneil@us.army.mil I'm curious to see how the Benning transition is going and see how the married life is treating you. Take it easy.
11/12/09 8:28 AM
JasonKeaton

Both well. IF you have facebook that would be best
12/8/09 8:05 AM
OzCombatives

I attended a BTS course a while back and there were some Reserve MACP instructors on the course. They were impressed with SPEAR and believed it would be a valuable bridging technique between standup and ground.

Personally I feel there are other systems out there that better meet the requirements of LE/MIL than BTS or MACP.
1/23/10 9:16 PM
FJJ828
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NAPLES BRAZILIAN JIU JITSU L.L.C., Owner
Any combatives program could benefit from integration with elements of Blauer's program even if they choose not to adopt the whole package.

I'd say the same thing about the I.S.R. Matrix of course.... ;-)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.