UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Props to Dana and UFC Brass

9/18/09 7:34 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MMAunltd
211 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMA Unlimited, Online Editor

From Phillipe Nover's Blog:

In this blog I'd like to thank a lot of people. Dana White and Joe Silva are at the top of my list for being so generous and providing me with the show money and win money. They didn't need to provide me with a single penny.. When I found this out I literally broke down in tears of joy. Every up and coming full time professional fighter knows that each check counts! When I approach Dana to thank him his exact words were “We only care about your health. Get better and so we can get you back in that cage!” When I approach Joe to thank him later that evening. He said “Don't you worry Phillipe. We take care of our guys. It wasn't your fault.” My hat goes off to the UFC. Thanks for taking care of me.

I'm assuming they did the same for Stout if they paid Nover.

Good to see they got looked after after an incident which neither could control.

9/18/09 7:39 AM
NVHighRoller
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow thats cool for Nover.
9/18/09 7:40 AM
ChangoBravo
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just when I think BLAF is a complete Fucker, something like this happens.

Very good of Dana/UFC/Zuffa***

*** Sit's and re-thinks opinion of Dana White

Chango
9/18/09 7:49 AM
slagathor
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana will talk all the shit about you if he doesn't like you BUT, it seems that if your with him in the UFC and are giving you all for him and the company he will do what he can to make your life better.
9/18/09 7:56 AM
AlliancePA
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very cool of Dana to do that. He catches a lot of shit but he is really a stand up guy. Props for taking care of these guys.

I hope that Phillipe is ok. He's a good guy and I would hate to see this end his career. I suspect though that it is something much more serious than just fainting from nerves or adrenalin. Generally in those cases you don't go stiff and unresponsive...I hope I'm wrong though.

I also hope that they can line up another fight for Sam soon. I'm sure that he trained his ass off for this fight so I hope he can get in there soon. I'd like to see him fight Huerta (if Roger ends up continuing to fight).
9/18/09 8:11 AM
OriginalTUFer

Dana does this stuff, all the time. I had ZERO doubt that something like this would happen.
9/18/09 8:42 AM
Kirik
1752 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, President
 Can't wait to see the fight when this clears up.
9/18/09 8:52 AM
PatrickFreitas
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Classy move by Dana & crew.
My only fear is that the full pay was a bittersweet 'parting gift,' with the unspoken notion that Nover may never be licensed again. I really hope the kid is healthy and will be able to clear any concerns of the athletic commissions in the future.
9/18/09 9:26 AM
Hillary
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Classy act by Dana, hope Nover recovers well.
9/18/09 9:40 AM
alvo69
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PatrickFreitas - Classy move by Dana & crew.
My only fear is that the full pay was a bittersweet 'parting gift,' with the unspoken notion that Nover may never be licensed again. I really hope the kid is healthy and will be able to clear any concerns of the athletic commissions in the future.

That's been my thought as well.... they "just can't take the risk..."  Good Luck to Philliipe either way,  as he seems to be a real good guy.
9/18/09 10:30 AM
sawdusk
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

for my money, dana can say whatever he wants, cuss as much as he wants, and bash everyone under the sun, but as long as he takes care of his fighters, that's all that really counts...
9/18/09 10:57 AM
Scramslam

ttt for dana
9/18/09 11:06 AM
story97

The problem is those words 'we take care of our guys' doesn't ring so true when it's becoming widley known that you lose two and you're done.

maybe on select few, but loyalty is not something i've ever seen anyone accuse the UFC of.
9/18/09 11:38 AM
FatsMcGee
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who's the last guy that got cut who didn't deserve to be cut?
9/18/09 11:45 AM
trampking
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

not important fats.....not important.
9/18/09 1:19 PM
mexican jujitsu
137 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

good to see he's okay, and it was the who that did baba o'reilly.
9/18/09 1:38 PM
dking
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

classy move by the UFC
9/18/09 1:41 PM
nhbMIKE
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cliffs of the full story?
9/18/09 1:49 PM
Humboldt JuiJitsu
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAunltd -  From Phillipe Nover's Blog:

In this blog I'd like to thank a lot of people. Dana White and Joe Silva are at the top of my list for being so generous and providing me with the show money and win money. They didn't need to provide me with a single penny.. When I found this out I literally broke down in tears of joy. Every up and coming full time professional fighter knows that each check counts! When I approach Dana to thank him his exact words were “We only care about your health. Get better and so we can get you back in that cage!” When I approach Joe to thank him later that evening. He said “Don't you worry Phillipe. We take care of our guys. It wasn't your fault.” My hat goes off to the UFC. Thanks for taking care of me.

I'm assuming they did the same for Stout if they paid Nover.

Good to see they got looked after after an incident which neither could control.

Wow - this is the definition of going above and beyond the call of duty as an employer.  These guys aren't even employees, as much as they are just private contractors.

Kirik - do me a favor and give a big fat VTFU to dana white, the real lorenzo, and any other UFC brass that may post here from time to time.

Good point made by PF - I am stoked Phillipe got paid, and am praying for his health as well as his career moving forward.

9/18/09 3:20 PM
DannyOcean
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

story97 - The problem is those words 'we take care of our guys' doesn't ring so true when it's becoming widley known that you lose two and you're done.

maybe on select few, but loyalty is not something i've ever seen anyone accuse the UFC of.

oh, come the hell on.

the UFC is in the business of putting on the best fights between the best fighters in the world. If you lose a couple, they will make you go back to smaller shows to build up your record again. Do you think they should KEEP every fighter who loses two in a row? wtf?

This is like saying "Mark Cuban supposedly treats his players great, but some of them only play like 1 minute a game! Unfair!" It's the nautre of the sport... You can't play every player. And you can't keep consistently losing fighters.

They've given plenty of fighters second (and even third) chances after they've gotten good wins in smaller shows.
9/18/09 3:37 PM
JimmersonzGlove
534 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Classy...hope he is okay in the long run.
9/18/09 4:10 PM
PJ Benn Fan
214 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DannyOcean - 
story97 - The problem is those words 'we take care of our guys' doesn't ring so true when it's becoming widley known that you lose two and you're done.

oh, come the hell on.

the UFC is in the business of putting on the best fights between the best fighters in the world. If you lose a couple, they will make you go back to smaller shows to build up your record again. Do you think they should KEEP every fighter who loses two in a row? wtf?

This is like saying "Mark Cuban supposedly treats his players great, but some of them only play like 1 minute a game! Unfair!" It's the nautre of the sport... You can't play every player. And you can't keep consistently losing fighters.

They've given plenty of fighters second (and even third) chances after they've gotten good wins in smaller shows.
Ok. I agree with you in principle.
But, explain this then.

Stephan Bonnar - a 2 fight winning streak, a 3 fight winning streak and 2 x 2 fight losing streaks including his current one. 5-5 record in the UFC. Been busted for steroids and yet will ALWAYS have a home in the UFC. Hardly anything special and the most could be said about him is that he's a tough opponant!

Xavier Foupa Pokem - 2 fight losing streak. Gets cut despite fight Drew on 2.5 weeks notice which meant 2 UFC fights in a 35 day period. Hardly enough to make an educated decision on, yet enjoy your flight back to france kid. Dont call us, we'll call you!

It either works for everyone, or it doesnt work!

9/18/09 4:19 PM
NoPlacebo
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's the difference between a 5-5 record and a 0-2 record. Bonnar was also was involved in the fight that basically made the UFC profitable. He's far more recognizable and he has wins in the UFC that Xavier does not.
9/18/09 4:28 PM
PJ Benn Fan
214 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NoPlacebo - That's the difference between a 5-5 record and a 0-2 record. Bonnar was also was involved in the fight that basically made the UFC profitable. He's far more recognizable and he has wins in the UFC that Xavier does not.
I am fully aware of the differences. 
I am just saying 2 fight losing streaks and your out either goes for everyone or no one.

I could see if a guy is universally ranked in the top 10 in the world and he loses 2 fights straight like Forrest, one of which was a title fight. Yeah it doesnt make sense because a) he was a VERY recent champion, and b) he MAY get to that level again.

IMO yeah that shoudl get you a pass. 

But Bonnar is nothing. Maybe the exampple I should have used was Jason MacDonald over Prof. X.

Some good wins in the UFC, yet hes out fighting in Calgary or something next month IIRC.

9/18/09 4:34 PM
DannyOcean
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/18/09 4:34 PM
I am fully aware of the differences.
I am just saying 2 fight losing streaks and your out either goes for everyone or no one.

No it doesn't and you are RETARDED if you think it does. I shouldn't even have to explain why Bonnar's two fight losing streak is not the same as some guy who was a quarter-finalist on TUF and is 1-2 in the UFC.

In fact, you contradict yourself by giving the Forrest example in the next sentence.

The UFC keeps fighters that will

A: Make them money

B: Possibly be champions 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.