UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> Best Way to Get Rid of AC Duct Mildew Smell?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

9/18/09 9:08 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
sadic1
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee has developed a HORRIBLE mildew stank coming from the vents. From what I gather, it's caused by mold/mildew/whatever growing on the evaporator core. It probably also doesn't help that my AC has a freon leak and isn't blowing cold anymore. I'm not sure if the leak is coming from the evaporator or not.

Anyway, I've heard of this stuff called Frigi-Fresh that you can spray in your vent intake that is supposed to help, but this is a pretty nasty stank. Anyone have any other tried and true methods of fixing vent stank?
9/23/09 9:58 PM
autotech
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Go easy with that stuff it smells strong! a little will go a long way.It will help,but the best way is to clean the hvac box out.I would try to remove the blower motor and see if that gives you access to the evap core and clean it as best you can with the bleach/lysol wet wipes.Clean the whole area.

you should also make sure that the drain is not clogged it will be on the passenger side of the truck if you pull back the carpet on the passenger side foot well you should see a plastic tube going out through the firewall.Go to the outside end of the tube and make sure it is not clogged with leaves or other debris.You can use a coat hanger to reach inside it.Just clear the end and make sure the system is draining.

This will take a little while,but the results are better.If
don't want to spend the time then just spray the frigi fresh into the cowl with the heat/ac set on high and set for fresh air.use short bursts with that stuff because as I said it is strong stuff only use as much as you need.I have had people call back and complain that they hate the way it smells.
9/24/09 9:59 AM
sadic1

Thanks for responding to this, man! I hadn't thought about the possibility of gaining access to the evap core through alternate route like blower. Maybe I will try that. From what I understand, actually gaining full access to the evap core like for replacement is a major hassle. So, does the Frigi Fresh actually kill what's growing on the core for good, or is it just a really strong mask?
9/24/09 9:07 PM
autotech
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It will kill it,but not as good as cleaning it.Replacement of the evap core is not a fun job.I think the last one I did took me better part of 5 hours and I have done several others
my first was at least 8 hours.
9/26/09 7:08 AM
walbjj
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

another thing it could be is the cabin air filter (often found behind the glove box) could be mouldy or mildewy, and replacing it could remedy it
a mate had this happen in his car. he was spraying a scent that was being picked up in recirculation mode in his car, it smelled nice, but it most probably soaked into the cabin filter, after a few weeks, it started to stink, he replaced the filter and its normal now
10/30/09 5:22 PM
joshjitsu

Edited: 10/30/09 5:23 PM
take out the blower motor so that you can see the evaporator coil behind the dash and clean the funk off of it.

*edit* whoops someone already posted that.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.