UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Cung Le steps down, Shields v Mayhem for 185 title

9/18/09 9:11 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
UG News
1125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News

LE STEPS DOWN; SHIELDS VS. MILLER FOR 185 BELT

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker Thursday confirmed to MMAWeekly.com that his middleweight champion, Cung Le, has booked another major motion picture role and will relinquish his belt.

Jake Shields and Jason “Mayhem” Miller will now vie for the undisputed title under the eye of CBS when the two meet at the promotion’s primetime network debut Nov. 7 at location to be announced early next week. A report on ESPN.com says the Sears Center Arena in Chicago is under intense consideration, citing sources close to the situation. The telecast will air live from 9 p.m. to 11 p.m. ET. Coker was unaware whether the broadcast would be tape delayed to other parts of the country.

“I had a conversation with Cung and he has a lot of respect for Jake and Jason, and he’s got another movie coming up, so he’s asked me if he could step down, which we’re going to honor his request,” said Coker. “By no means does that mean he’s going to be retired, but he’s going to be unavailable for the next two months.”

Coker said he hoped to book the newly minted movie star again after his filming obligations are completed, though nothing was confirmed.

read full article...

9/18/09 9:34 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ClearwaterFLMMA
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

about time this happened. Maybe his post about joining the UFC may be true after this movie role?? Not sure if Dana will want him though as he definitely doesnt feel good about movies stars.. lol
9/18/09 9:44 AM
Wotan1105
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Love watching him fight, but this is way long overdue
9/18/09 9:46 AM
Crazy Zimmerman
284 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cung Le vs. Rampage
9/18/09 10:08 AM
TheVileOne
239 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't blame Cung Le. I mean I wish we could see him fight more and I would've loved to have seen him fight guys like Shields and Diaz. But this is just what was in the cards. I mean its one thing to talk about having an acting career while you are trying to be a fighter, and Cung Le did the fighting won the title and now he's getting paid well to be in movies and hong kong action movies. And its hard to do that and do the training camps and what not.
9/18/09 10:17 AM
crowbar
718 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cung Le = Sacred cow in Scott Coker`s eyes.

9/18/09 11:03 AM
goku

shamrock stole his warrior spirit
9/18/09 11:12 AM
BigWilliam
269 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well that's one way to duck Diaz, Shields and Mayhem I suppose.
9/18/09 11:13 AM
Ryan Wood
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At least he did the right thing by giving up the title and not leaving the whole division in limbo.
9/18/09 11:14 AM
acid jazz
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ryan Wood - At least he did the right thing by giving up the title and not leaving the whole division in limbo.
He definitely doesn't want to test himself.
9/18/09 11:14 AM
NoPlacebo
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shields vs Mayhem is a great fight. Glad Cung decided to vacate and step away instead of keeping everyone waiting indefinitely. I think he should have done it a little earlier but if he had we might not be seeing this awesome fight. Go Shields.
9/18/09 11:22 AM
Mr.Unbreakable

Congrats to all of them! Brian Warren
9/18/09 11:56 AM
supersaiyan

did he pull a "RAMPAGE" ??!! LOL
9/18/09 11:58 AM
KahL
96 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dammit...sad to hear, but completely understandable.
Hope that he does come back to MMA. However, considering that he's been fighting for the longest time now, I can't exactly blame him either.
9/18/09 12:11 PM
Jsteven
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BigWilliam - Well that's one way to duck Diaz, Shields and Mayhem I suppose.
9/18/09 12:18 PM
jaseprobst
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just watched Cung's pro debut last night (in HD, which made it really cool).

Watching him fight is fight up there with seeing Machida pick folks apart. Or seeing a prime knuckleballer confuse a major league lineup.

He did this freakish combo that i can't do justice without video, but here it was, to finish the fight:

from southpaw stance...

right jab feint...
left cross feint...
spinning back kick which THUDDED into midsection, sending guy into cage...

and then a perfectly timed right hook to blast the guy out.

It was beautiful.

i really wish he would fight more, but his situation needed to be resolved for now.

i'd LOVE to see Mayhem or Shields face him later on. Or anyone.
9/18/09 6:20 PM
Mmanizzle

Dude, Cung got into MMA very late. He was a multiple world champion in San Shou (look it up). In doing so, he achieved a heck of a lot of success. He's paid his dues and has a lot of respect among fighters and promoters alike. Dana White wanted him to come to the UFC but he's loyal and is contracted to Coker at Strikeforce. Cung helped build the Strikeforce name. Now he's getting paid a shit load of money to make movies. He's proven himself in the fight world. Anyone in his situation would do the same thing. I'd like to see him get in shape and train for an Anderson Silva fight. We all would. But all you mofos that say he don't wannt prove himself probably just got into MMA a year ago and don't know shiznit... Peace out bitches...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.