UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Omelet I just made

9/19/09 12:09 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Seul
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bearing in mind that I am a novice (and that none of you can taste this) I just made an omelet I'd like critiqued:

It was 3 eggs (with a little bit of shredded ham and some milk mixed in) for the egg portion of the thing, then I mixed in some diced white onions, chives, tomatoes, jalapeno cheese, parsley, cilantro, cinnamon, and soy sauce for the middle (the filling? what do I call this?).

I also add some soy sauce to the outside while it was still cooking (after I folded it), but in fairly small amounts (I didn't add in any salt because of the already high sodium in the soy, I didn't want it to overwhelm everythign else).

I also dropped a couple of tomato and onion slices in the skillet at the end (again I added the soy sauce for these to cook in) and served them to myself on top of the omelet. I added another layer of fresh cilantro on top of everything.

I'm extremely happy with how it turned out, it was delicious. However, I was wondering what you guys would add, subtract, or change to fit your own tastes?

Do you have any preferred methods for making omelets (or eggs in general) that deviate from the standards?
9/19/09 12:11 PM
Seul
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have already perused the excellent potato chip omelet thread, but I felt this was a different enough topic to warrant a new thread.
9/21/09 9:44 AM
crescentwrench
251 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cinnamon?  Did that okay with the rest of it?  Most of the time when I put cinnamon in a savory dish it seems out of place.  No matter how little I use it seems too much.  But if you found a good amount keep using it.

Did you precook the onions a little before using them?  That's all I'd probably do.  Maybe add one more egg, lol, that's a lot of ingredients.
9/21/09 11:27 AM
Seul

A while back I started using cinnamon whenever I cooked beef (as the main flavor, I use a fucking ton of it), it rapidly became my favorite spice.

I used a tiny little bit for the omelet, it seemed okay; I wouldn't have been able tot ell it was there by taste, though.

How would you precook the onions? Would you use the same skillet?

Thank you.
9/21/09 11:43 AM
crescentwrench
251 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah just saute the onions in a tiny bit of oil so they aren't raw and crunchy and harsh on the finished dish.  Let them cook until just translucent while I get the other stuff ready.  Then just wipe out the pan and make the omelette.  I only like raw onions on a Waffle House omelette that also has a pile of chili and cheese and hot sauce and heartburn.  

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.