UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> Down to 2 bikes.Hayabusa or Honda CBR1000rr?

9/20/09 7:17 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
deafwoody
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've narrowed it down to 2 bikes that I am considering for next year.Still don't know what the 2010 colours will be but I'm sure this will be a minor issue as u can always find 1 colour u like.Worst case scenario is I end up buying a 2009 from the showroom which will hopefully be discounted.

I am pretty sure it will be the busa.Hopefully they have it in black for next year.Over the next 3 years my goals are to put an extended swingarm on turbo.Obviouslly there will be the PC,lowering kit and other small modifications.I figure this is the best bike to go with as there aren't alot of twisty's around here.So straight line acceleration is what I'm thinking here.

However....

Everytime I open up a bike magazine it seems they have an artical about how awesome the Honda CBR1000rr is.It has a tonne of power and handles like a 600.Won bike of the year,master bike of the year and International bike of the year.Nothing but praise and Honda quality and reliability.

Anyone else have any thoughts.
9/21/09 11:16 AM
gsx_r

Depends on what you want to do. If you're into straight line stuff, cruising around the city and maybe hitting some slow twisties, the the busa is the bike. However if you're into modding and want to tune/lower/extend/* the bike and have a looker this is the bike.

If you want a GREAT all around bike go with the honda. It'll deal with anything on just about any street track or back road, then you can ride it to the strip and do as many runs as you want and maybe even compete with some of the less mod'd busas/14s.
9/21/09 10:29 PM
big_slacker
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Two very different bikes. The 1000rr is supposed to be friendly. The guy that owns my local race shop just got one. Says he is within 2 seconds of his 30k race prepped gsxr1000 on the bone stock 1000rr. Says it has oil consumption issues, like a quart after 2 track days. Wow. Might be the particular bike though.

With that said, if you don't have twisties and want to build a crappy handling, lowered, stetched, turbo'd drag bike why would you consider a 1000rr instead of a busa?
9/23/09 4:41 AM
deafwoody

On the Hayabusa.Love the looks have always been a big fan.Absolutely awesome for straight line speed.The aftermarket parts to customize are endless.Would like to make it a project over the next 3 or 4 years and set it up to drag race but first be a good street bike.

On the Hondacbr1000rr.I had a honda 600f4i and really injoyed the bike.The handling and performance was great.So I;m still kind of sutck on the good memories of that bike.The 1000rr would be wicked to havefast,light razor sharp handling and a wicked engine.And I really have a lot of respect for honda quality.

Anyways thats the debate
9/23/09 9:17 PM
big_slacker
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I used to own an f4i as well. I kind of regret selling that bike actually. And the 1000rr is several generations better in terms of suspension, power, tires, etc....

But with that said if I had next to no twisties (oh wait, I have next to no twisties) I would go with the busa.
9/24/09 12:01 AM
mad tiger

My first street bike was a modded f2 *wipes tear
9/24/09 2:52 AM
White347LX

Ride the RR. I test rode one last year and it has my vote for best literbike, by far. The midrange is retarded on that thing.

The Busa is not only MUCH faster, it's also a more capable sportbike than 99% of all riders even if they won't admit it. They will turn and I've seen it with my own eyes on a racetrack.

Although I didn't get one when I had the chance, I'd take a Hayabusa for a street bike. I've put a couple hundred miles on Busas and because of the wind protection and seat it's more comfy over any distance and my GOD this power! Literally, my buddy's stock 03 Busa hangs right with a 06 GSXR1000 from a 70 mph roll without even downshifting while the 1000 starts in 3rd gear. That's impressive!

A Busa for a street bike and a CBR1000RR for a track bike would be my ideal setup.
9/24/09 8:48 AM
gsx_r

White347LX - Ride the RR. I test rode one last year and it has my vote for best literbike, by far. The midrange is retarded on that thing.

The Busa is not only MUCH faster, it's also a more capable sportbike than 99% of all riders even if they won't admit it. They will turn and I've seen it with my own eyes on a racetrack.

Although I didn't get one when I had the chance, I'd take a Hayabusa for a street bike. I've put a couple hundred miles on Busas and because of the wind protection and seat it's more comfy over any distance and my GOD this power! Literally, my buddy's stock 03 Busa hangs right with a 06 GSXR1000 from a 70 mph roll without even downshifting while the 1000 starts in 3rd gear. That's impressive!

A Busa for a street bike and a CBR1000RR for a track bike would be my ideal setup.

Not to disagree that a busa makes a great street bike. But you really have to define what street. In traffic or the twisties I can walk a busa on my 750. A 1000 wouldn't be much different.

Where the big bikes(busa,14s) get 750/1000s is the straights and stop light to stop light.

Big bikes are also much better suited for sport touring duty.
9/24/09 11:53 AM
White347LX

That depends completely on the rider. While a GSXR750 may be the most perfect sportbike ever (size of a 600, almost as fast as a 1000 with less insurance cost) you're not "walking" a equal rider on a Busa unless you're in some very low speed corners, like under 40 mph. I ride with a 04 GSXR750 most of the time and he'll be the first to tell you our buddy's Hayabusa puts buslengths on him in any acceleration contest with minimal effort. While the busa does feel heavier in our twistier roads around here (18 miles of 30-40 mph corners) it's still not getting left behind and while we're all whining about monkey butt after a 500 mile day, the Hayabusa rider is ready to do it again the next day. That alone is worth alot to me. Also, most street riders appreciate not having to dance all over the shifter just to keep in the powerband.

The only real downside I see is massive insurance cost for less than perfect driving records.
9/24/09 11:58 AM
White347LX

Here's a pic of the offending GSXR next to my sissy bike:

9/26/09 10:09 PM
deafwoody

White347LX - That depends completely on the rider. While a GSXR750 may be the most perfect sportbike ever (size of a 600, almost as fast as a 1000 with less insurance cost) you're not "walking" a equal rider on a Busa unless you're in some very low speed corners, like under 40 mph. I ride with a 04 GSXR750 most of the time and he'll be the first to tell you our buddy's Hayabusa puts buslengths on him in any acceleration contest with minimal effort. While the busa does feel heavier in our twistier roads around here (18 miles of 30-40 mph corners) it's still not getting left behind and while we're all whining about monkey butt after a 500 mile day, the Hayabusa rider is ready to do it again the next day. That alone is worth alot to me. Also, most street riders appreciate not having to dance all over the shifter just to keep in the powerband.

The only real downside I see is massive insurance cost for less than perfect driving records.

awesome summary....thanks
9/26/09 10:11 PM
deafwoody

9/26/09 10:14 PM
deafwoody

9/27/09 6:12 PM
deafwoody

I can't download any of the new pics yet but Honda has released there 2010 cbr1000rr bike colours.Doesn't really look like they have changed anything other then the colours.
9/27/09 9:59 PM
White347LX

Anyone on a stretched Busa better have a pocketful of low nine second timeslips, IMO. The sad truth is the VAST majority of custom Busa riders are pure posers and don't even know what a respectable 60' time would be.
9/27/09 10:49 PM
deafwoody

White347LX - Anyone on a stretched Busa better have a pocketful of low nine second timeslips, IMO. The sad truth is the VAST majority of custom Busa riders are pure posers and don't even know what a respectable 60' time would be.

Sad thing is I think the majority of sportbike riders would fall into the poser catagory.Not alot of them will hit the track or the dragstrip for whatever reason.

Just because u want to customize ur bike doesn't mean u have to race it.Alot of muscle cars on the road that haven't seen the track either.Doesn't mean that if u customize ur bike or car u have to hit the track.

Me I would hit the dragstrip maybe 3 times a summer max.Overall I love the looks of a stretched and lowered busa.The dragstrip times would be done just for fun.
9/28/09 9:31 AM
big_slacker

You don't have to track a bike to not be a "poser", you just need to ride it to its intended purpose.

But what whitelx is saying is that a stretched swingarm and lowered WRECKS the handling of a bike. I mean terribly. My VFR was lowered 1.5 or 2" when I got it and I felt like I was gonna crash going around a 90 degree corner. So if you do it, it should have a purpose.

That purpose is dragracing. Period. If you're gonna use it as a streetbike and are just shooting for a "look" you're limiting is usefulness and possibly your enjoyment of it on the street. At least every time you make a turn instead of going straight.

Just consider it and don't say no one warned you. :D
9/30/09 3:33 PM
mad tiger

deafwoody - 
White347LX - Anyone on a stretched Busa better have a pocketful of low nine second timeslips, IMO. The sad truth is the VAST majority of custom Busa riders are pure posers and don't even know what a respectable 60' time would be.

Sad thing is I think the majority of sportbike riders would fall into the poser catagory.Not alot of them will hit the track or the dragstrip for whatever reason.

Just because u want to customize ur bike doesn't mean u have to race it.Alot of muscle cars on the road that haven't seen the track either.Doesn't mean that if u customize ur bike or car u have to hit the track.

Me I would hit the dragstrip maybe 3 times a summer max.Overall I love the looks of a stretched and lowered busa.The dragstrip times would be done just for fun.

I agree if I had a dollar for every terd kook all leathered up riding his 600 slowly and with a woman on the back id be a millionaire. Extra 100lbs KILLS the handling on abike wtf are they thinking? Dont say you havent been warned.
10/1/09 9:17 AM
big_slacker

But that extra 100 lbs has purpose that has nothing to do with handling and is more fun than dragracing. :D

Don't forget that on a busa you have extra power so you can get away with your 250lb girl on the back.
10/1/09 8:13 PM
White347LX

LOL!
10/3/09 6:03 PM
deafwoody

I appreciate all the input.

I know that putting the extended swingarm on kills cornering and possibly handling but I didn't think it would be to severe.They mocified a busaking in motorcyclist and added a turbo and said it was still solid in the corners.Not as good as stock but still they said it was nothing to complain about.

Anywys here's a link to the new 2010 Busa colours.I'm going with the black and red.
10/3/09 6:03 PM
deafwoody

www.globalsuzuki.com/motorcycle/moto/supersport/hayabusa1300/99999-A0021-1L1.pdf 
10/4/09 10:40 AM
big_slacker

Love the black. Ride it before you mod it so you can compared. Make sure you post pics too.
10/4/09 2:50 PM
deafwoody

big_slacker - Love the black. Ride it before you mod it so you can compared. Make sure you post pics too.

Will do.First year my plans were to add a full Brocks exhaust(Maybe Yosh but not 100% sure) then frame sliders,windscreen from hotbodies and corbin seat.I'm going to hold off a couple of weeks before doing this and then at the end of the year I will see if I want to add the extended swingarm and possibly the turbo.Turbo might have to wait an extra year and from what I hear I might have more then enough power without the turbo.
10/4/09 7:50 PM
White347LX

I recommend riding a stretched bike first, you'll either love it or hate it right there. I'm no fan of stretched bikes, but I did ride a +6 2008 ZX10 that could be launched from a dead stop at 8500 rpm with no fear of flipping over. That was kind of fun but just making a right hand turn from a 4 way intersection was such a pain in the ass I could never go for one no matter how much ownage it would provide at the dragstrip.

I like cars at the dragstrip and bikes on the road course.

BTW, track day at Gateway this weekend. I can't wait!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.