UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> TMA and "Mean Guy" Faces

9/22/09 2:33 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
OneScoup
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Every time I go to a TMA school, dudes all have their tough guy faces on and give me the evil eye. I've been to countless boxing, kickboxing and MMA gyms, I don't get a lot of attitude from those guys.

People say TMA is about discipline, honor and attitude, but what is up with TMA'ists regarding the tough guy faces?
9/23/09 3:11 PM
RobbieH

"An enemy deserves no Mercy! "

"Yes Sensei"

"Fear does not exist in this dojo, does it? 

Karate Class
: "NO, SENSEI! "

Sensei Kreese
: "Pain does not exist in this dojo, does it? "

Karate Class
: NO, SENSEI! 

Sensei Kreese "Defeat does not exist in this dojo, does it?" 

Karate Class
: NO, SENSEI

9/24/09 12:49 PM
twinkletoesCT
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Modern Self-Defense Center, Head Instructor
A few years ago, I was asked to give a presentation to a group of karate instructors. I grew up training karate with this group, so I knew them and their curriculum. The only tough part was that it would only be 10 minutes, and they wanted a lecture format presentation about the training methods they were using and how they related to the belt promotion process.

So I put up an easel and said "I'm going to ask you all to list the qualities you want to see in a black belt candidate. We're going to split that list into two: on the left, we'll list things developed by simply practicing the curriculum. On the right, we'll list things developed by other parts of our training regimen, like sparring."

Most folks got right into it. They listed things like balance and coordination for the left side, and timing and distancing on the right side. And then one instructor suggested "realism" as an answer.

I asked him to clarify what he meant, and he said "You know...when they do their self-defense techniques and things on the air, do they make it look REAL?" A couple other instructors jumped in, too. "Could they be INTENSE?" "Would it be better to call it AFFECT?" "FACIAL EXPRESSION?"

I bit my tongue, because I REALLY REALLY wanted to launch into a tirade about how "folks who spend their lives ACTUALLY DOING their martial art via sparring, grappling, and more don't worry about whether or not it LOOKS REAL." I decided I'd never get to finish my presentation if I took us on that detour, so I asked if we could call it "intensity" or "focus" and then moved on.

Why do the TMAers mean mug so much? Because they are taught to. If they aren't going to really DO stuff, they can make faces and PRETEND to do stuff really well. And that counts, right?
9/25/09 1:05 AM
shen
742 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

**Stares right through this thread with a clenched jaw**
10/3/09 4:16 PM
Zero1
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There is a good video from Mikhail Ryabko talking about that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ieQaQgFn3g
10/22/09 10:35 PM
Seul
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I asked him to clarify what he meant, and he said "You know...when they do their self-defense techniques and things on the air, do they make it look REAL?" A couple other instructors jumped in, too. "Could they be INTENSE?" "Would it be better to call it AFFECT?" "FACIAL EXPRESSION?" "

Lol, this is almost too weird. I don't want to believe it, but I've seen similar stuff too many times.

I had a friend I knew get his blackbelt; a week or two later, he was walking around our college campus and said he almost got run over by a group of guys playing football and I joked with him about getting in a fight with 10 or 15 guys. He said something like "Yeah, I bet the newspaper would love that the next day: "Student beats up 15 people".

I'm like 90% he was serious (he made comments like that pretty often (the usual "I'd hate to have to kill that guy" about somebody 3 inches taller and 60 or 70 pounds heavier), but I felt uncomfortable enough about it (what do you say to something like that?) I just changed the subject.

The guy is one of my best friends, and I love him to death (no homo), but as soon as he got his blackbelt he was convinced (at least until he started sparring regularly again) that he could take anybody in the world in a fight except for other, higher-ranked blackbelts.

Stuff like this is why I left the traditional arts, I don't like how everyone bases their expectations on movies (the matrix had one guy beat up 100... it could happen, right?). It's one thing if you start out like that, but delusions are supposed to fade.
10/30/09 12:46 PM
laqueus

It probably helps them have some feeling that their "chi" lets them win fights without throwing a punch. I remember my Shotokan instructor talking about staring right in the eyes to intimidate - and it worked on people who couldn't fight well.

It's kinda similar to seeing 1 out of 20 guys in a traditional club entering a competition and winning, and the rest of them feeling they could win too, when in fact that one guy was just a guy with talent and it had little to do with the training.

If they're not going to actually fight they can list every time someone backed down from their intimidating stare as a win.
11/4/09 11:26 AM
Ogami Itto
214 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shen - **Stares right through this thread with a clenched jaw**

*passes out, is revived*

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.