UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> naked in front of everyone

9/23/09 6:48 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
kidpresentable
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have heard my opponents say about fighting me that in the fight, they just felt off. They couldn't explain what it was that was off but they just simply didn't feel like themselves. And though it was meant to discredit me, basically saying that I didn't do anything to them but rather they just had a bad day by happen chance, I always took it as the highest complement. You have enough opponents say the same thing and you realize that it is not a coincidence. They didn't feel like themselves in our fights because I was using my training and skill to throw off their timing. Luckily, though I have lost plenty, I have never had that happen to me.....until last night.

My training camp was the best training camp I have ever had. The weight cut, the easiest I have ever made. I felt the strongest I have ever felt both mentally and physically. I was excited to fight and was certain I was going to steamroll Dan. And then I went out there and just felt like I had no idea what I was doing. Dan beat me to the punch, pun intended, every time I tried to mount an offense. It is the worst feeling I have ever had in a fight. It was a feeling of helplessness.....and in front of the world.

I was talking with Rogan once about performing on stage and he said that there is no better feeling than making a room full of people laugh; I imagine it is a lot like winning a fight. And he said that bombing on stage is the worst feeling in the world – you feel like you are naked in front of everyone. I have never heard anyone more accurately describe how losing a fight feels. And normally, I know something I can change about my technique or my training so I focus on getting back into the gym and improving myself in that area. And that gives me solace. It gives me a goal to focus on so that I can become the best fighter I can be. This time, I am dumbstruck. I don't know what I could have done differently.

My goal was to become the Sengoku champion. I am essentially back at square one now. I am going to spend the week with my wife and little baby girl. After that, I don't know. I want to get in the ring as soon as possible so I can figure out whether I can still be one of the best fighters in the world or whether I have missed my chance. As such, I have asked Sengoku to bring me back right away ( November 7th) but obviously couldn't blame them if they don't. And if they do not, I will take time to reflect and decide whether this is a career that is worth all of the sacrifices that both I and my family make.

Nick “the goat” Thompson

9/23/09 6:50 PM
HexRei
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's good that you can admit this to yourself, I'm sure you'll just come back stronger and more intense. Good luck Nick.
9/23/09 6:51 PM
Skillrules
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That Hornbuckle is tough. No shame
9/23/09 6:55 PM
Kirik
1783 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, President
 Very powerful read man. Jack Dempsey said to a biographer, "tell them everything I know, I learned from the losses." I have no doubt you come back from this stronger and a better teacher as well.
9/23/09 7:04 PM
MountainMedic
623 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nick-You are one of my favorite all time fighters, in AND out of the ring. This post just reinforced that.

as always, much respect to teh Goat!!!
-MM 
9/23/09 7:05 PM
Ecko Unltd
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ecko Unltd/Brawlmall, MMA sponsor
 I always enjoy your fights Nick. looking forward to the next one.

9/23/09 7:06 PM
Card
2064 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt for the Goat.

945_img05z
9/23/09 7:06 PM
Sonester Sambo

you've beaten some elite guys
9/23/09 7:09 PM
TheClips

Nick, what you said took balls and shows what kind of man, and fighter, you are.

Thanks for sharing and for showing why the UG is awesome, even when you have to shift through a lot of BS to see stuff like this.
9/23/09 7:19 PM
MJMarko
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for sharing that, it was a great read.

Not trying to discredit Dan in any way, but sometimes you can just have a bad night. It's even possible that you have been off in other fights but just didnt notice because your opponent wasnt good enough to expose it.

It happens in all sports. Great hitters go on long slumps, Tiger Woods plays like shit for a few tournaments, or Tom Brady has a bad game. It just happens sometimes, you just cant be that crisp 100% of the time. It's more difficult for fighters because you can only fight once every couple of months so its magnified.

You're a hell of fighter and I'm sure when you get back to training things will work itself out. Good luck in your next one.
9/23/09 7:24 PM
CLINT NJHC
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt for Nick. Good luck homey
9/23/09 7:31 PM
MTomlinson
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hey man, you've got the support of your fans Nick no matter what you decide.

you've earned respect in this sport.

I'd like to see you fight again man.
9/23/09 7:39 PM
Hate420
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good read and respect for that...if only you could have been as humble after the Kennedy loss.
9/23/09 7:46 PM
Li Mu Bai

nice post.
Hope sengoku gives you another chance.
Have a good time with your family, don't let the loss turn you down, you will come back better.
9/23/09 8:50 PM
thenino
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'll tune in any time you fight.TTT for the GOAT!!!!
9/23/09 8:59 PM
sans lubricant's towelboy
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Goat you are the shit! Best of luck.
9/23/09 8:59 PM
Archer0545

Good read Nick, you will get it figured out.
9/23/09 9:03 PM
dorf

Always a fan of your fighting.

"I am going to spend the week with my wife and little baby girl."

That quote makes me a fan of you as a person. You're a winner man, no matter what you decide to do.
9/23/09 9:12 PM
Malachy Friedman
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

theres ups and downs

i believe you've no come no where near your plateu

youre awesome just keep your head up
9/23/09 9:32 PM
The Mouth

PrimetimeFC / Legends of Fighting, Owner
 Nick.   Sake Bombs cure everything.  Anytime you wanna come to Indy and throw a hotel party with all dudes, let me know. 
9/23/09 9:44 PM
Rand McPherson
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

classy. i'll sport the shrit you gave me with even more pride.
9/23/09 9:44 PM
lifeaftrprison
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Mouth -  Nick.   Sake Bombs cure everything.  Anytime you wanna come to Indy and throw a hotel party with all dudes, let me know. 

LOL

It was awesome to see that fight on a larger stage , both fighters deserve it!
9/23/09 9:49 PM
Rusty Butterknife
168 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Come back strong. Looking forward to your next fight.
9/23/09 10:53 PM
The Mouth

PrimetimeFC / Legends of Fighting, Owner
lifeaftrprison - 
The Mouth -  Nick.   Sake Bombs cure everything.  Anytime you wanna come to Indy and throw a hotel party with all dudes, let me know. 

LOL

It was awesome to see that fight on a larger stage , both fighters deserve it!
Kind of an inside joke.  I hope he sees it.

9/23/09 11:06 PM
lifeaftrprison
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I figured!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.