UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Gyms in Los Angeles?

9/24/09 2:56 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JoeyHustle
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PTM2020 - 
southsidesti - 
JoeyHustle -
Muay Thai - Sityodtong LA is in Pasadena

and is the best, most official Muay Thai gym in all of LA

Definately not the most official.  Probably the bigger name right now but Walt learned his craft at MTA with Puc.  A huge majority of all U.S. Muay Thai instructers have a lineage that traces back to MTA. 

I would have to agree and say MTA has a tremendous lineage in Los Angeles for generating great thai fighters in the past. But recently the gym has fallen off. The quality of fighters are not there and the staff has not taken care of their facility. I hear more horror stories of staph infections from people who trained there then the quality of sparring partners you will hear at sityodtong.

I like Muay Thai Kickboxing Gym thats ran by Kru Neil (I think Kru Rex went to Dobblers gym) for a traditional MT gym and they have no class schedule so u can show up at anytime. But they lack great sparring partners as well.

Sityodtong LA is a newer gym and has some great pros training there right now.
9/24/09 3:01 PM
BigMatt81
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hayastan Mma Academy

Academy Address:
11044 Burbank Blvd.
North Hollywood, CA 91601

Phone: 818-985-4656

Gokor Chivichyan and Gene LeBell. Can't ask for much more
9/25/09 2:56 AM
southsidesti
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PTM2020 -
Definately not the most official.

ok ok MTA is pretty "official" but its not like Sityodtong is a knockoff gym or one of the other off brand "MMA" gyms out there
9/25/09 3:00 AM
The Hyena
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Huuuuh again with this... here ill re state this ..

step one. Drive to LA
Step two. Close eyes
Step Three. Throw rock in any direction
Step four. Follow rock to "MMA" school in LA

/end thread
9/26/09 11:23 PM
FightScientist

The Hyena - Huuuuh again with this... here ill re state this ..

step one. Drive to LA
Step two. Close eyes
Step Three. Throw rock in any direction
Step four. Follow rock to "MMA" school in LA

/end thread

Correction Mark,

I can honestly only think of one true MMA school left in LA, that is PKG. Legends is no more and though there are a zillion schools doing BJJ and Muay Thai, no one does what PKG does in LA. Maybe in OC, but LA?
9/26/09 11:44 PM
jsferris
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Try BHJJC, Beverly Hills Jiu Jitsu, with Marcus V.
9/26/09 11:53 PM
NeoSpartan
490 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yea Kru Rex is at Doblers Muay Thai in Fontana.

Everyone's lineage might have come from MTA or Inosanto Academy/Ajarn Chai... But things are way different now.

I'd go to Sityodtong in Pasadena.... If you're looking for full on MMA then I'd go to Paulson's. Combat Submission Wrestling has a TON of sparring partners for you.
9/27/09 8:52 PM
PTM2020
978 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/27/09 9:02 PM
southsidesti - 
PTM2020 -

ok ok MTA is pretty "official" but its not like Sityodtong is a knockoff gym or one of the other off brand "MMA" gyms out there

Never said they were a knockoff at all, where'd you get that from??? I've known Walt since back in the day when he was training at MTA and the IMB academy, his record & accomplishments speak for itself.

imo, MTA was the cornerstone of Muay Thai's influence in the U.S.    Yeah it's not like it was back when Coban, Saekson and Lot Nanfa were tearing up the kickboxing scene but you'll still get some great trainig from Santi, Puc and the other guys there.

Also they've had brand new mats and new bags for several years now,  they are cleaned every day.

9/27/09 9:44 PM
southsidesti

PTM2020 -
 Never said they were a knockoff at all, where'd you get that from???

lol I didnt mean it like that ... I was just throwing that out there for people who havent been there or trained there
I didnt mean to imply that you felt like that or had said that
9/28/09 1:44 AM
OneScoup

From my part of LA county Fullerton can definitely be 1.5-2 hrs with traffic, especially since you'll be in rush hour on the way to evening classes.

Lot's of good feedback on this thread. Anybody train at Iha or Braga's?
9/28/09 2:22 AM
NeoSpartan
490 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PTM2020 - 
southsidesti - 
PTM2020 -

Never said they were a knockoff at all, where'd you get that from??? I've known Walt since back in the day when he was training at MTA and the IMB academy, his record & accomplishments speak for itself.

imo, MTA was the cornerstone of Muay Thai's influence in the U.S.    Yeah it's not like it was back when Coban, Saekson and Lot Nanfa were tearing up the kickboxing scene but you'll still get some great trainig from Santi, Puc and the other guys there.

Also they've had brand new mats and new bags for several years now,  they are cleaned every day.

You ever come to any of the smokers? (when Kru Walt still had them)... if so you've probably seen me fight a few times :)
9/28/09 2:29 AM
asscobra
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BJJ in LA doesn't get any better than Rey Diogo in Venice Beach. I'm sure he'll do a drop in fees. PM me so you can drop my name. Also, newbreed in Santa Fe Springs is good too.
9/28/09 3:29 AM
ahmadxman

The Academy of Martal Arts
3403 w. 43st
L.A.Ca. 90008
323 296 5778
$80 mo.
REAL F**KIN MMA.....ITS REALLY REAL!
a super technical instructor too.....

and no. Leimert Park has alwys been known for its rich culture, music (jazz & hip hop), poetry, art and its live jazz at its farmers market. what are u talking about 40s? they're 3-4 blocks away and dont even frequent the "village" itself. besides arent you supposed to b a fighter??? stop acting scary all of a sudden.....
9/28/09 2:35 PM
PTM2020
978 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

southsidesti - 
PTM2020 -
 Never said they were a knockoff at all, where'd you get that from???

lol I didnt mean it like that ... I was just throwing that out there for people who havent been there or trained there
I didnt mean to imply that you felt like that or had said that

My bad.   If I was in the area you bet I'd look to train over at Fairtex.  Walt is great.

9/28/09 3:10 PM
Jason Tornado

Legacy MMA , alberto cranes school, top notch bjj and muay thai
9/30/09 2:10 AM
FightScientist

ahmadxman - The Academy of Martal Arts
3403 w. 43st
L.A.Ca. 90008
323 296 5778
$80 mo.
REAL F**KIN MMA.....ITS REALLY REAL!
a super technical instructor too.....

and no. Leimert Park has alwys been known for its rich culture, music (jazz & hip hop), poetry, art and its live jazz at its farmers market. what are u talking about 40s? they're 3-4 blocks away and dont even frequent the "village" itself. besides arent you supposed to b a fighter??? stop acting scary all of a sudden.....

Look at Ahmad gettin' nasty!

How's things?

Ian
9/30/09 3:59 AM
ahmadxman

AAAhhhhhh. whats up play boi? how u b? just chillin. still trainin em up over here. Python took his first loss here lately. My other guy Yegar lost with a dq, after he ko'd his guy. he accidently kicked his opponent while he was down...DAMN! cant win em all. Slow and steady tho ya no. whats up over at PKG? u still there right?
9/30/09 7:37 PM
FightScientist

All is good man. Yeah been talking with Lateef a bit. Sucks about his last fight. Sometimes you get caught. Happens to everyone at some point. Yeah PKG is going solid. The classes are all doing great, the Pro fight team is growing like crazy and we have only 2 decision losses this year (12-2 in 2009)! And one of those was a very questionable split decision, so I am pretty excited about how the pro team is representing. Chad is off to Japan tomorrow for a couple weeks and fights in Ontario in November.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.