UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> does G-D have a wife?

9/28/09 9:09 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Robert Wynne
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

9/28/09 10:33 AM
the rooster
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yep, His "bride". He looks at His people collectively and calls them His "bride, betrothed, etc."
9/28/09 11:06 AM
toelocku

wow can't wait for that....nova is the best show on tv imo
9/28/09 6:25 PM
Robert Wynne
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the rooster - Yep, His "bride". He looks at His people collectively and calls them His "bride, betrothed, etc."

where does it say that.
9/28/09 6:44 PM
the rooster

well see 2nd chapter of Hosea for instance. there's more.

Hsa 2:19 And I will betroth thee unto me for ever; yea, I will betroth thee unto me in righteousness, and in judgment, and in lovingkindness, and in mercies.

Hsa 2:20 I will even betroth thee unto me in faithfulness: and thou shalt know the LORD.
9/29/09 10:21 AM
Robert Wynne

ok..thanks
9/29/09 12:45 PM
770mdm
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Jewish people are Gds wife.  Most of the entire perspective of Jewish outlook is based on the notion that the Jewish people are G-ds wife...

9/29/09 1:25 PM
toelocku

agree^
9/29/09 9:46 PM
Robert Wynne

but thats not what the evidence is showing.

and the story that the jewish people are God's chosen people..is and was, a story told by Jewish people, Jewish people are no more Gods people than the Canadiens are.
9/30/09 3:51 AM
Juijitsuboxer
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/30/09 3:51 AM
Are you sure that these were not Canaanite or Ugarit converts to Judaism that held only old beliefs or artifacts because of their value or through confusion?

The religion of Ugarit was similar in many ways to the Canaanite system that the prophets of God consistently denounced. The chief god was El, who was believed to be the father of seventy gods and goddesses that comprised the Ugaritic pantheon.

El was “a shadowy figure who apparently takes little part in the affairs of men” (Wright, 1962, pp. 106-107). El’s wife, the mother of the pantheon’s gods and god-desses, was Athirat or Elat. Her name appears in the form “Asherah” in the Old Testament (rendered “groves” in the KJV; cf. Judges 3:7).

Of El’s sons and daughters, Baal was the most popular. He was the storm god who brought rain and fertility, and who frequently was in conflict with Mot, the god of death.
9/30/09 3:54 AM
Juijitsuboxer
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wonder if that little statue holding a baby was El's wife, Athirat, holding Baal, their child, in her arms.

El appears to have been a schizophrenic sort of character who at times was “of mild character, good humored,” never refusing what was asked of him, yet at other times, he might kill his father, or his son, or cut off the head of his daughter (Wright, 1962, p. 107).

Though Baal was the offspring of El and Asherah, Ugaritic texts indicate that eventually Baal drove El from the leading place and took both his position and his wife (Kapelrud, 1952, pp. 77-78). Significantly, the Bible represents Baal and Asherah as counterparts (cf. 1 Kings 18:19). Accordingly, the Asherim (plural of Asherah) of the Bible were the female cult objects that corresponded to the male objects of the Baal cult (Wright, 1962, pp. 29-32).
9/30/09 4:00 AM
Juijitsuboxer

Though there were some vague similarities between the Israelitish and Canaanitish religions, the differences were far greater. In an excellent article that originally appeared in The Biblical Archaeologist (1943, 6:1), G. Ernest Wright called attention to some of these.

First, Israel’s official religion was strictly monotheistic. Israel, for example, did not personify elements of nature; rather, all things were created by Jehovah.

Second, Yah-Wah of Israel is not shrouded in mythology. He does not war, love, etc., with other gods. He does not die, rise, etc.

Third, Israel’s God was a God of history Who moved among the people. And although anthropomorphic language was used of Him to accommodate their limited understanding, yet, He was vastly superior to man.

Fourth, the God of the Old Testament was alone. He had no female counterpart; in fact, biblical Hebrew has no word for “goddess.” Fifth, Israel made no images of Jehovah. Not a single example of a male figurine of Yah-Wah has been found in the ruins of Israel. Sixth, there is a complete absence of morality in the gods of Canaan. And seventh, the concept of a God who has entered into a “covenant” with His people is unique to Israel (Wright, 1974, 3[4]:97-108).

In view of the corruptness of the Canaanite religion, it is not difficult to understand why the Lord demanded their extermination by the Israelites upon the latter’s entrance into the “Promised Land.” Their “cup of iniquity” was full indeed (Genesis 15:16).
9/30/09 9:21 AM
770mdm
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Robert Wynne -  but thats not what the evidence is showing.

and the story that the jewish people are God's chosen people..is and was, a story told by Jewish people, Jewish people are no more Gods people than the Canadiens are.

What evidence isn't showing? 

It very well maybe a story that has been passed down through the generations but that story started at Sinai and it's just as true today as it was then. 

Many of our prayers and rituals and general things we do are specifically geared around the notion that the Jewish people are Gds wife.  Here I put my quesion cap on because I don't know, what prayers or rituals or services do you do, or anyone here for that matter, that displays or shows that you or your religious outlook is Gds wife?

As long as stories are being told here where's your information coming from?
9/30/09 10:11 AM
toelocku

Robert Wynne -  but thats not what the evidence is showing.

THIS^
9/30/09 10:33 AM
the rooster

770, I agree with you but from the Christian perspective, gentiles have been grafted in as a wild branch into the bride.
9/30/09 11:32 AM
Robert Wynne

770...my evidence(opinions) comes from studying the archeoligical records.
9/30/09 11:35 AM
770mdm

What archeological records? 

Rooster..  So Jews are Gds wife and Christians are grafted on as Gds wife?  Okay.
9/30/09 3:46 PM
the rooster

All of God's people (Gentile or Jew) are part of His "betrothed"
9/30/09 3:58 PM
Robert Wynne

^not me.....I'm a Son of God....Christ is my Brother...i won,t be his wife.

i totally disagree with you all on this....i do not believe anyone people here on earth are the Lambs bride...and i have seen nor read any eveidence that would back that up.

peace
9/30/09 4:15 PM
770mdm

How do you acknowledge that ideal?  If it's just in thought or just in faith I'd have to say my wife would be very sad if I never told her I loved her. 

On the first night of Passover & on the day of Yom Kippur we dress in white to symbolize our wedding dress and to associate ourselves with the Angels.  On each Sabbath we sing Lecha Dodi which publicly acknowledge Gd as our King and we are his bride and we face towards Israel while saying the prayer but turn around during the last stanze to greet the Shabbos.  So Israel you face Jerusalem but the sun sets in the west so as the sun disappears we greet the Shabbos as the sun sets. 

Shabbos is rest day that is counter to "G-ds hoveing over the waters of the Deep" restless and unsettled he rests on Shabbat which he commands us to keep all over the place in Torah.

We actualize the notion.  We write about it, it's not a passing though.  There's a good amount of Chassidus on this.  Are we alone?

9/30/09 4:19 PM
the rooster

you: i totally disagree with you all on this....i do not believe anyone people here on earth are the Lambs bride...and i have seen nor read any eveidence that would back that up.

me: who is the lambs bride?
9/30/09 4:23 PM
Robert Wynne

770: i've never seen anything to make me think that is the way it is...if you do, ok.

Rooster: according to you i am a devil worshipper..so lets just not go there..ok.
9/30/09 4:27 PM
Robert Wynne

the question is..whether or not God had/has a bride...which according to the little statues found by the atrcheologist..is a good looking woman with big breasts....the rest of the story airs in November....myself i see no reason why God couldn't or doesn't have a wife....who taught us about marriage? if God believes in the act of marriage. why would he not partake in what he teaches?
9/30/09 4:32 PM
770mdm

We are approaching Simchat Torah, a celebration finishing the year long trek learning and reading the Torah to start again with Bereishit.  We physcially dance with the Torah.

King Solomon employs both metaphors in Song of Songs, when he describes G-d meeting with us: ""I have come to My garden, My sister the bride" (Song of Songs 5:1).

G-d and people are as distant as infinity is from the finite. He is the Creator and we are the merely created. In this sense our dance is the square dance; we reach across this gulf and struggle to achieve and then maintain a connection. Yet at the same time, G-d's bond with us pierces the core of our essence. On the deepest level, we are claimed by G-d. Like a sibling who cannot sue for divorce, our dance is the hora, forever together, in an eternal circle that grips us in tight embrace.

Indeed, the Jewish people are metaphorically referred to in the Torah as the bride of G-d. Endearing as this term is, it doesn't promise an eternal connection. Brides are passionate and loving. But even marriage doesn't promise eternal devotion, as may be seen when couples sue for divorce. Torah grants the Jew another title. In addition to G-d's bride we are also G-d's sister. The sibling relationship that we share with G-d ensures an immutable lasting connection that can never be severed.

Every Jew is a sister and a bride. We, the accomplished dancers, are proficient in the intricate steps of both dances, the hora and the inspired.

This bride/sister duality, this dual dance we play out with G-d, is the role of every Jew. G-d grants the Jew a G-dly soul and an animal soul. The G-dly soul is a veritable part of G-d Himself clothed in the garment of the human body. As we walk, think and talk, we carry a fragment of our Creator in our person. It comprises the essence of who we are, and we cannot surrender it or divorce ourselves from it.

The animal soul is the conventional soul of man, which exists to a lesser degree in all living organisms. The animal soul feels no natural kinship with its creator. It is not inherently holy. On the contrary--its initial attraction is to the worldly. This animal soul must be slowly nurtured with loving care if it is ever to develop a relationship with G-d.

Given the correct dynamics, our animal soul can learn to connect with G-d. But its connection cannot be spontaneous or permanent. While connected, it will be fiercely drawn to G-dliness. It will covet all things holy and enjoy a spectacularly rousing love. But this connection is by no means assured. It can fade as quickly as it rises. It requires constant tending.

Our animal soul is (or has the potential to be) G-d's bride. The bride prefers the inspired dance, where a powerful connection is possible but requires constant effort and emotional investment. Our G-dly soul is G-d's metaphoric sister. The sister prefers the hora, always connected and always dependable.

9/30/09 4:33 PM
770mdm

Rabbi Menachem Mendel Schneerson, the last leader of the Chabad-Lubavitch Hassidic movement, was the inspiration for Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu's speech in the UN, Netanyahu said last week, following the speech in the General Assembly.

The prime minister told reporters that his defense of the Jewish people was inspired by Schneerson, who urged him during a 1984 discussion at Chabad-Lubavitch headquarters to "light a candle of truth" in his dealings with the UN.

"'Remember, you are going to the UN,'" Netanyahu said, relating to the reporters what Schneerson told him over two decades ago, when he became Israel's ambassador to the world body. "'There is an assembly hall there that has eternal falsehood, utter darkness."

"'Remember that in a hall of perfect darkness, totally dark, if you light one small candle, its light will be seen from afar. Its precious light will be seen by everyone. Your mission is to light a candle for truth and the Jewish people.'"

Netanyahu repeated and expanded on his comments about Schneerson during an appearance co-sponsored by the Conference of Presidents of Major American Jewish Organizations.

The prime minister recounted a visit to Chabad headquarters in Brooklyn on Simhat Torah during his stint as UN ambassador. Thousands of hassidim eagerly awaited the arrival of the Rebbe and the beginning of festivities.

When the Rebbe entered the room, Netanyahu was prodded by a friend to meet him.

"I said in English, 'Rebbe, I came to see you,'" the prime minister recalled. "And he said, 'Just to see? Not to talk?'"

As Netanyahu recalled, some 4,000 people had anxiously stood waiting, looking to the Rebbe for the start of the traditional rounds of dancing known as hakafot, but the Rebbe instead engaged him in a lengthy conversation.

"He switched to Hebrew," recalled the prime minister. "And after 40 minutes, he stopped. He said what he wanted to say, and he turned to the audience, and with his hands, started to get the hassidim to sing and dance."

"And then something happened I'll never forget till the end of my life," continued Netanyahu. "The Rebbe and his brother-in-law … took the Torah scroll and they went into the center of this hall … and I see [them] dancing in a circle of light with a Torah. I felt the strength of generations, the power of our traditions, our faith, our people."

During the national election campaign in 1996, when Netanyahu was first elected prime minister, Chabad publicly supported him with the slogan, "Bibi is good for the Jews." Netanyahu still has strong ties with Chabad.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.