UnderGround Forums

LegalGround >> need help on ticket, bench warrant, military

9/29/09 1:01 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
fortheloveofMMA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

so i need some help here. basically my insurance lapsed, they sent a letter to my moms house where my address is listed saying i had 30 days to reinstate it or they suspend my license. i end up getting it done literally the day after the deadline. so my license is suspended, i figured no big deal.
well then a state trooper shows up saying a bench warrant was issued because they basically assume im driving with a suspended license. but then when i looked at the ticket it says its because i didnt turn in my tag in time. this is in south carolina. so basically:
if i go pay all the fines will that be it to get rid of the bench warrant?
i am joining the military, will this affect me getting in? my dad said once i join he will pay all the fines for me. but will this keep me from joining? as long as i can join he'll take care of it

also, is there any way i can get out of this? theyve never pulled me over for anything, have no way of showing im driving with a suspended license or anything, just assumption and i guess the stuff about the tag.
this happened to me before about a yr ago and a bench warrant never came up, nor did a state trooper come by. same exact situation. ive never heard of this happening to anyone else
anyway, any advice/help is appreciated
9/29/09 9:22 AM
fortheloveofMMA

ttt. help
9/29/09 11:05 AM
fortheloveofMMA

ttt
9/29/09 2:06 PM
Subadie

I think you are asking a question about South Carolina law traffic law. Dont know if any South Carolina traffic lawyers post here.
9/29/09 8:40 PM
BarkLikeADog

1. It happens to other people.

2. The warrant is for not returning the tag, not for driving without being legal, so they have the right to enforce it. Maybe you got lucky last time, maybe they got tougher this year, whatever; who cares? You did it, you didn't fix it right, quit whining, prepare to pay The Man, & let's move on.

3. Did they arrest & jail you for the bench warrant, or just serve a ticket/summons? Sounds like they just want you to show up to court & fix everything. Many jurisdictions, this just means you're gonna go to traffic court & pay a fine to a teller at a window without even seeing a judge.

4. I'm pretty sure you can get into the military unless you're in prison, & even that's negotiable. I could be a bit off on that one.

Basically just plan on your wallet getting assraped & paperwork to be fucked up for the next year or two, with the potential of getting treated like a black man at traffic stops for some time to come.

Local traffic attorney can answer your questions more explicitly & correctly.
10/2/09 1:20 AM
fortheloveofMMA

cool thanx. actually i was gonna sell my vehicle, so that should eliminate the need for proof of ins and all i hope. maybe itll make it easier

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.