UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Recipe help

9/30/09 4:10 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
crobrun
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I want to make some type of spiced sweet potato (baked) fries.

I've done this so far

Slice up Sweet potato into large wedges. In a flat container, put mix of olive oil, chili powder, brown sugar, some Jerk seasoning, red pepper powder and salt.

Rubbed mix onto wedges, bake at ~400 for about 30 min, flipping about every 10 min.

Taste is good, but comes out with blackened spots. I also wouldn't mind a crispy texture on the outside as well.

Help much appreciated.
9/30/09 6:40 PM
Xtina
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

deep fry!
10/1/09 7:54 AM
crobrun
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sorry, trying to bake (healthier)(?)
10/1/09 10:10 AM
Fracture
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the brown will come from the sugar content of the potato. try a different potato
10/1/09 11:38 AM
MikeZev
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

need to fry
10/1/09 11:47 AM
crescentwrench
196 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You just can't get fry crunchy from baking.  That's the price you pay.  Otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to fry.

I don't know if it works with sweet potatoes but with regular potatoes I will parcook them in the microwave before putting them in the oven.  Slice the potatoes and toss with a little oil and nuke them until they are a little bendy but not cooked all the way through.  Then do your seasoning thing and put them in the oven to finish.  Maybe up the temp to 450 for a shorter amount of time.  They are going to be splotchy no matter what you do in the oven but this might get them brown splotchy rather than black splotchy yet still be cooked all the way through.  Cutting them smaller will also help keep the outside from getting overdone before the center is cooked.  It will probably take a couple of tries before you get the right balance of parcooking to oven cooking.  

Also, it might seem counterintuitive but sometimes you get more fat doing it in the oven than from deep frying.  If they are properly fried the escaping moisture from the potato prevents oil from seeping in so the fat is only contacting the surface which can wipe off after cooking.  Whereas the oil coating the oven fries has a chance to seep in where it can't be pulled off.  Fatty greasy fries comes from either not having hot enough oil to turn the water to steam in the fry (no bubbly froth) or leaving them in so long that all the water escapes and hot oil infiltrates (bubbles stop).  

I still tend to do them in the oven though because even disregarding fat content doing them in the oven is just easier and you don't have grease splatter all over everything and your house doesn't smell like McDonalds when you're done.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.