UnderGround Forums

SBGI >> Gunnar = BJJ Black Belt!

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

9/30/09 5:11 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Hunter V
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well, Renzo just promoted Gunnar today to bjj black belt! Congrats Gunnar!
9/30/09 6:38 PM
Matt Thornton
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No doubt Gunni will widely be considered one of the top grapplers on the planet, in the nex couple of years.
10/1/09 11:07 AM
Luis Gutierrez
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Congrats and well deserved but just wondering how /why Renzo can give him his black belt when his training to this day comes primarily from some one else? I see this happening more and more.
10/1/09 12:21 PM
bryan1973
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who gave him his brown?
10/1/09 3:02 PM
Matt Thornton
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

John Kavanagh gave him his brown. Gunni has been at Renzos for the last year or so. He is from Iceland, so he has traveled around to train, and compete.
10/1/09 5:47 PM
cprevost
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Congrats to Kavanaugh and Gunni and the rest of Gunni's crew in Iceland. Does that make Gunni Iceland's first home grown black belt?
10/1/09 8:24 PM
Matt Thornton

John's note:

i wrote this about him on other forums... 

"2yrs from now he will be recognized as best grappler on the planet.... 

a game totally build around posture and timing.....something a lot of grapplers should study before working on 50/50 guard or whatever the latest 'trick' game is. 

"if your posture is correct then by definition your opponent's is not" - Priit." 

and... 

"what is talent? 

when he lived with me if he wasnt doing jits, he was thinking about it....and i mean every min of every day. 
after adcc when everybody was around us getting drunk he was sitting with me at 2am sipping water discussing what he shouldve done in this match, or what he learned from in that one. 
i've trained with almost everyone...have never seen jits like his. leo viera was always my fav grappler because of his completeness (would do well in judo, bjj, submission etc)...gunni is now coz his game is even simpler (just posture and timing, no latest 'trick based game')...and he's even better...he outwrestled monson and avellon...and then was all over xandi jits wise until the kneebar....scary comination of clinch and ground ability....and he hits hard too" 

as for the renzo thing...did it sting a lil? yeah...do i understand his decision...totally  

as matt pointed out we're just starting out and look at the guys we've helped develop...pretty crazy list for a 'first generation' 

losing a few along the way to more established teams that can offer them more right now is to be expected...not the first and no doubt not the last. 

gunni is a really nice guy and im very happy to have played some part in his jits development...but much happier and prouder to call him a friend 

10/5/09 2:02 AM
JJK
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's awesome! Congrats Gunnar!!!
10/14/09 10:15 AM
jonpall
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.