UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> Truck question

10/1/09 2:24 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
kboxster
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey guys... i was looking to pickup a used pickup truck (something in a v8 trim). pretty much for towing about 5000 pounds of product from los angeles to phoenix az. has some nice climbs.

but what would you guys recommend? im looking to spend around 10k, it also needs to be extended cab so me, my fiance and dog can ride comfortably. I realize 10k will probably get me something early 2000 with around 100-150k miles. What truck would you think could get me a good deal of miles and headache/mechanic free towing for a little while.
10/1/09 1:22 PM
gsx_r

Not going to be popular but Toyota tundra will be your best bet.

I LOVE my tundra, and I've never met anyone who drove one that didn't love them.
10/1/09 8:15 PM
White347LX

Doing it often? I'd say get a 99-04 Ford superduty with a powerstroke diesel. If you don't need 4wd then you can find a crew cab lariat one with about 100K miles for ~$8K.
10/2/09 1:36 AM
kboxster

you know the super duty is exactly the car i was looking into. an early 2000 6.0 diesel. but how reliable is that motor? i know in general modern diesels are supposedly bullet proof but it seems when i google f250 diesel problems alot of shit comes up. and that scares me.

cause if i spend 10k on the truck i wouldnt have another 10k to repair an unreliable motor.
10/2/09 1:28 PM
Man in Block
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm pretty sure the F250 diesel problems are with the current diesel (2008+), not the older one.
10/3/09 1:45 AM
kboxster

the 7.3l in the late 99 seems to be the tops and i think in early 2000 they went to a 6.0 that was having some issues. i think the current generation of super duties have the new 6.4l diesel that seems to have the problems of the 6.0l worked out.

its almost like the 6.0 is the red headed step child (btw i knew non of this just a few weeks ago... a couple days in truck forums is pretty informative)

but do people here have any experience with the 6.0?
10/4/09 7:53 PM
White347LX

When you look at the problems people are having with these trucks you have to take into account how hard they're using them. Trucks, especially 3/4 ton and 1 tons are generally beat into the ground harder than any other vehicle on the road. I only mentioned the Superduty because your intended use would be fairly easy for a powerstroke truck. The only downside is diesels are noisy, they smell and the trucks are larger than whatever you're probably used to driving.
10/5/09 1:29 AM
kboxster

thats an under statement im currently in a 2liter engine 4 banger hahahaha... but this car was more a knee jerk reaction to when gas got over 4 a gallon. before this i was driving suvs and full size trucks (i never got used to not being able to tow and haul shit at any whim)
10/7/09 9:22 AM
Mark1

gsx_r - Not going to be popular but Toyota tundra will be your best bet.

I LOVE my tundra, and I've never met anyone who drove one that didn't love them.

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Feds probe Toyota Tundras

2000-01 models face inquiry into corrosion, brake, spare tire issues

David Shepardson / Detroit News Washington Bureau

Washington -- The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration on Tuesday opened a preliminary investigation into corrosion on 218,000 Toyota Tundra pickups -- the latest safety issue to dog the Japanese automaker.

In a notice on its Web site, NHTSA said its Office of Defects Investigation had opened a preliminary probe into corrosion linked to spare tires and brake lines on 2000 and 2001 model year Tundras.

The government said it has "received 20 reports on the subject vehicles that relate to spare tire separation and brake system failures as a result of severe frame corrosion."

Advertisement

NHTSA said 15 reports allege the underbody-mounted spare tire "separated from the rear crossmember" and five reports alleged brake lines broke on the driver's side of the "rear crossmember at upper shock mount."

Toyota spokesman Brian Lyons said the company is aware of the NHTSA investigation, and was conducting its own evaluation of the issue.

"We're at the preliminary evaluation stage," he said, adding that the company hasn't communicated with its dealers about the issue.

NHTSA said it had not identified any accidents or injuries as a result of the complaints.

This isn't the first trouble Toyota has had with corrosion on pickups.

Last year, Toyota offered to buy back 1995-2000 model year Tacoma pickups whose frames were rusted beyond repair. The buyback -- 1.5 times the Kelley Blue Book price -- applied to pickups in 20 cold weather states.

Toyota also agreed to apply supplemental corrosion treatment and inspect and replace frames if necessary on 2001-04 Tacomas in cold weather states, but not to buy them back.

In total, Toyota extended the warranty to 15 years and unlimited miles on more than 1.4 million 1995-2004 Tacoma trucks.

Toyota said the 2000-01 Tundras under investigation by NHTSA "had a similar frame design" and were built by the same Toyota supplier, but were manufactured at a different North American plant, Lyons said. He said Toyota hadn't decided to take any similar steps for the Tundras.

Sean Kane, president of Massachusetts-based Safety Research & Strategies, said that when rust developed on some Toyota pickups "the bottom can collapse."

"This is just more bad news for Toyota at a time when they are getting hit on all sides," Kane said.

The new NHTSA investigation came just one day after Toyota formally agreed to recall 3.8 million 2004-09 model year vehicles over reports of sudden acceleration that may have been linked to jammed accelerator pedals under floor mats.

The company's president issued an apology Friday after four people died in an Aug. 28 California crash whose cause is suspected of being linked to a jammed floor mat.

That recall is the company's largest ever in the United States -- surpassing a 900,000 vehicle recall in 2005.

Toyota and the Transportation Department urged owners of the affected vehicles to immediately remove the floor mats until Toyota comes up with a "vehicle" fix -- something that will go beyond simply a new floor mat.

10/16/09 10:18 AM
Mark1

More support that the Tundra has proven to be a big flop for Toyota.

Mark

October 16, 2009

After strong start, Tundra stumbles

By TOM LIBBY
FREE PRESS AUTO INDUSTRY BLOGGER

Industry observers have criticized the timing of Toyota's introduction of its first competitive full-size pickup, the all-new, enlarged Tundra, in early 2007. This criticism is offered as one of the reasons for Toyota's recent woes both in the U.S. and globally. But this tastes of Monday morning quarterbacking, and ignores a couple of crucial facts.

Nobody foresaw either the gas price spike of May 2008 or the ensuing collapse of both the housing market and the overall economy last fall. And, earlier this decade, when Toyota would have given the green light to the Tundra re-design program, the full-size pickup segment looked like the perfect segment for Toyota to pursue.

In 2004, full-size pickups accounted for almost 15% of all U.S. new vehicle sales (the segment's highest share this decade); only four companies competed in the segment (including a weak entry from Nissan); and the segment was renowned for generating among the highest profits per unit in the industry.

With its stellar reputation for reliability and durability, Toyota had done well versus the domestics in all other segments, so why not finally develop a truly competitive product in one of the largest and most lucrative segments in the industry? Actually, there would have been reason to criticize Toyota if it had NOT replaced its floundering first-generation Tundra with a larger, more competitive truck by 2007.

Initially, the new 2007 Tundra did well. Its share of the large pickup segment reached 9.1% in 2007, up from 5.59% the previous year, and the new Tundra's 2007 calendar year sales of 196,555 were within a hair of the company's 200,000 unit sales goal. Its share slipped slightly to 8.7% in 2008. Most of the Tundra's gains in these two years came at the expense of the F-Series and the Titan as a re-designed Silverado and heavily-incentivized Ram held their own.

The 2009 calendar year has been another story, as a combination of factors has drastically reduced the Tundra's sales volume. The plunge in overall new light vehicle sales this year has been one dampening factor. And, importantly, large pickups through the first nine months of this year account for just 10.47% of the industry, down more than four points from the segment's share peak in 2004. Lastly, Tundra's share of the segment has dipped to 6.92% (September YTD), its lowest segment share since 2006, before the launch of the larger truck. Tundra's share is also down more than a point and a half from its 2008 calendar year share.

Tundra's September YTD unit sales are down 50.8%, the second greatest drop in the segment after that of the Titan, more than twice the F-Series drop of 24.8% and considerably more than the segment's decline of 34.1%. In nine months, Toyota dealers have delivered just 56,599 Tundras, which means total 2009 deliveries will fall short of the century mark for the first time since 2002. The San Antonio plant where the Tundra is assembled was originally planned to assemble 200,000 units, with the potential to expand to 300,000 units if needed. This under-utilization of the San Antonio plant is one reason for Toyota's well-publicized losses both in the U.S. and globally.

A key reason for the Tundra's retreat in 2009 is the effective launches of re-designed Ford and Dodge full-size light-duty pickups for the 2009 model year. The complete F-Series model line has captured 36.1% of the segment so far this year, and if that share were to hold for the rest of the year, it would be the F-Series' highest annual segment share since 2001. Similarly, the Ram's September YTD share of 17.51% would surpass all results since 2003 if Dodge were able to maintain that level. The strength of these new products has also impacted the aging Nissan Titan, whose nine-month 2009 share of 1.68% is lower than any annual result since the model's launch.

Actual transaction prices from Edmunds.com highlight the Tundra's declining clout. In eleven of the twelve months in 2008, Tundra sold at a higher transaction price than the F-150, Silverado 1500, Ram 1500 and Titan. However, in every month of 2009, one or more of the domestic light-duty pickups has sold at a higher price than the Toyota product. This past September, average transaction prices for the Ram 1500 ($35,503) and F-150 ($34,824) were 7% and 5%, respectively, above that of the Tundra ($33,278).

For Toyota, though, there is a silver lining in the dismal 2009 Tundra results. In the month of September, Tundras delivered to retail customers had sat on dealer lots for just 26 days, a third the amount of time – 78 days – of all large pickups, according to Edmunds.com. Dodge Rams delivered in September had sat for 134 days, while the Chevrolet and Ford products had sat for 68 and 60 days, respectively. These data suggest Toyota is not “pushing� Tundras through the distribution channel, a strategy that would increase retail sales in the near term. But following such a strategy would trigger higher incentives which in turn would lower transaction prices and residuals, two important measures in which Toyota has traditionally out-performed the domestics.

For the 2010 model year, Toyota is counting on a revised content/packaging strategy, including a lower -end Work Truck package and a high-end, luxury-oriented Platinum package, as well as the introduction of a more powerful mid-range V8 engine, to boost sales.

Note: All sales data are from Autodata, Inc.; references to F-Series, Silverado and Ram refer to entire model lines which include both light-duty and super duty versions

Tom Libby is president of the Society of Automotive Analysts. E-mail him at tglibby@aol.com.

3/15/10 3:55 PM
Thage

I'm partial to chevy/gmc's

I just bought a 2000 4X4 extended cab, 4 door GMC Sierra Z71 package in pretty good shape for $8,000. It had 100k on it.

It just needs a little TLC and it will be great. Small things, new tint, 1 minor scratch, 1 minor dent. Eventually I'll post pics after I clean her up and get it looking good. Next step, air intake, duals, lift kit, wheels and tires. I'm going moderate with a 3-4 inch suspension lift, but double shocks all around, along with 33's.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.