UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Catch Wrestling from Billy Robinson

[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10/8/09 6:25 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
PINKsinglet
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here is a little write up Coach Billy brought into the gym about Catch Wrestling training methodology.  Thought it might interest some people here.  FRAT Alert

Catch as Catch Can Wrestling                   
 When teaching or learning “Catch as Catch-Can wrestling”, the main thing to stress, are Basics.  If you get in to trouble and, or make a mistake. Basics or basic knowledge is the only thing that is going to help you escape. The reasoning for this is, if you teach or learn a good standing throw and slip or make a mistake and finish up underneath and can’t escape, you may lose confidence and not try the same standing throw a 100% the next time. If you know how the basics and how to escape you will.
As Billy Riley always said, not just said but pounded in the heads of all his students, ( to many great champions to mention all their names at this time ).If you can see a move, or think of a move, (or hold) it’s TOO LATE.
”I used to have night mares of his voice screaming at me, telling me to Do it again, Do it again No, No, do it again”.
Natural strength and power, or natural instincts, are a great asset, however technique is the main asset you can have.  It’s   about   90% of you being not only good but great. Remember you are never good enough, or fast enough, if you can remember this you will never stop learning, you have to (LEARN HOW TO LEARN).  The only way to get the right technique is practice, practice, practice. And then more practice. With a good coach and good old timers watching to explain your mistakes and giving you advice on how not to make mistakes. A good coach is not there to tell you how  good  you  are, or what you do good, but to tell you what is wrong or bad, and then work on  fixing it. It makes me laugh when I hear a coach or wrestling friend ask a combatant before a match or tournament. What are you going to do?  It’s not only too late to ask such a question, but shows me that they know nothing about real wrestling.
 The reason being, everybody’s (opponent) reactions and reflexes are different, so you do not know what they are going to do, in reaction to any of your moves or feints. . So you have to work on relaxing, clearing your mind, and treat every match the same. No preset plan of what you are going to do.
Don’t worry about how big or strong he is, or how good a reputation he has, just relax and trust in your reflexes knowledge and the coaching you have had. And remember it is not who is the strongest,
But who is the smartest. As for conditioning, sparing is without a question  the best conditioner there is,  non  stop sparing is the best, for one or two hours, with no breaks unless the coach stops you to show something that  you are doing wrong, and then continue . I mean with three or four good sparing partners and they change off every five to ten minutes, when they start to tire or slow down. However you do not stop. Also running about 10 to 15 miles a week is a good idea when you can’t get to a gym, and also work the cards. Stretching before and after a work out is a must, the squats and push-ups and all the other wrestling exercises are only used if you do not have a  sparing partner,  or partners. Stretch first no matter what kind of work-out you are going to do.
One more thing, you have to find partners or wrestlers to spar with of different heights weights and sizes.  E.g. taller than you or shorter than you at the same weight for example a lateral drop will not work with someone who is taller than you, so you have to use some other technique. Open your student’s minds to counter not to block. And you only use power, if you are in trouble, or have an advantage of a finishing hold, or submission to win the contest with.  I hope this helps you. Just remember the more knowledge the better, but remember every hold or grip, submission or pin will not work against all opponents. Your great champions knew a vast amount of moves that would work on 90% of their rivals, and 3 or 4 moves that they could rely on to beat anybody with.            

Training.
 For wrestling, many training methods may vary, there will be times when you have the opportunity to go to the gym every day, or as many times as you think is good for you personally in one week. Which is good, so long as you don’t squander your time? By this I mean when you start to train, don’t stop, in a no time limit wrestling match you have no time to rest until the match is over so don’t stop until your work-out is finished. Talking and socializing or joking is done after the work-out. Some of the greatest moments in my life were at the” Snake-Pit”, Billy Riley’s gym. After I had worked-out or sparred, or was just visiting watching others work-out. The talk of the old time greats, who were there to offer advice and recollect great moments of their careers and times and stories passed down by the wrestling greats before themselves.
Some Wigan coaches prefer a non stop work ethic while sparring. The great Joe Robinson and his brother Bob (Billy Joyce) (Bob I consider as the greatest wrestler I ever wrestled) are two. Billy Riley who taught both Bob and Joe, myself and many more like the legendary Karl Gotch, (Karol Istaz) Tommy Moore (Jack Dempsey) and many more, preferred to stop you and correct mistakes. I think there are times when both methods are correct. One of the biggest mistakes a young wrestler can make is when he starts to think he is good and only needs to train once a week or once every two weeks .With wrestling, timing is so important; a split second off can mean the difference between success and failure. Only sparring and training regularly will keep your timing in check
As the old timers point out, training for 30 minutes or so, three or four times a week is far better than one 6 hour work-out once a week or fortnight.(two weeks). The more times you train per week the better. I learned a great lesson. Once you start to think you are the best and know it all, you stop learning. Remember these simple rules.
#1 :-  YOU ARE NEVER GOOD ENOUGH, OR FAST ENOUGH.
#2 :-  LEARN HOW TO LEARN.                                   

10/8/09 6:26 PM
PINKsinglet
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How to workout with cards.
 There are going to be many times when you do not have a gym to go to, or haven’t a training partner, example, when you are traveling, or stuck in a hotel room by yourself. (I personally always carried some
surgical tubing in my bag.) It does not matter; there are many exercises you can do with no equipment. Push-ups, Indian squats, Sit-ups, Hindu Dips, Triceps, and many more.
However it can become boring, counting out whatever number of reps, or sets, you intend to do, without losing count. So that’s where a deck of cards comes in. First, each deck of cards has four suits, thirteen cards per suit, and two Jokers. Fifty-four cards in all. You use the Ace as 16 reps, 2 through 9 at face value, 10 and all face cards as 10 reps that will add up to 100 reps per suit. 4 suits equal’s 400 reps. Then use the Jokers as 50 reps each, so you can get 500 reps from one deck of cards. So for example you want do 500 free squats, shuffle the cards well, then put them upside down on a bench or table or chair, then turn one card over at a time and do as many reps as  to the value of the card you have just turned over, then continue non stop until you have turned the whole deck over, and you will have done 500 reps.
Another way is to pick any 4 exercises, such as free squats, push-ups, sit-ups, and triceps. Then use one exercise, with one suit of the deck of cards, e.g. hearts with squats, clubs with push-ups, diamonds with sit-ups, and spades with triceps. Then as before shuffle the cards well, turn them over, and then do whatever the card is, e.g. 5 of spades do 5 reps of triceps, Jack of clubs do 10 push ups until you have finished the deck. What is great about this way of training is that you never know what the next card will be; you may get 3 spades in a row or 5 clubs in a row who knows. I promise you will not get bored.
And get a great workout. There are many concepts of condition training, and most have been tried and tested then passed down through generations of athletes and coaches from all kinds of different combat sports, to the modern day wrestler.
The old ideas of which is best between, length of time training, verses  split time training, is a hard question to answer. Both have worked
and are still working, some of the greatest wrestlers of all time wrestled years and years ago. And there is no questioning the condition of the modern day wrestlers, so the answer is only through trial and error,
find out whichever works best for you. Everybody’s body reacts differently to the same exercises, so again through trial and error find which exercise works best for you. 
Here is an example, jumping rope or (skipping) for one hour none stop before sparring, or the Robinson style split time training. Here are two different routines. First let me explain the first routine.
We are going to incorporate two exercises together, step-ups and jumping rope. For the step-ups you need a 15 inch bench or step or platform, you step-up with the left leg first come up with the right leg, step down with the left leg first then the right  back to the starting position, do this for one minute then change legs.  With the jumping rope, a three minute period, the last 10 seconds of every period you go as fast as possible, with your coach or timer pushing you.
Now for the first routine, you will need a coach or timer or training partner to time and push you faster for the last 10 seconds, and then do up to 10 double jumps or at least 7 to 10. The second way is:-
To start, you jump rope for 30 seconds, with a 15 second rest, then 1 minute, with a 30 second rest, 2 minutes with a 1 minute rest, 3 minutes with a 1 minute rest, 2 minutes with a 30 second rest, 1 minute with a 15 second rest then the last 30 seconds as fast as possible. Finish the 1, 2, 3, minute periods with the last 10 seconds as fast as possible and then do 7 to 10 double jumps, when you have finished rope jumping,  drop the rope and go straight to  the bench and start your step-ups for 10 minutes non stop, changing legs every minute, doing between 25 to 30 step-ups a minute, no less than 25  It helps if your timer gives you the count of the step-ups every minute.
I found out for myself that when you do the one hour jumping rope, you tend to become mentally lazy, and let your mind wander, so your
mind and body are not working together in harmony. Where as with the jump rope and step-up routine your mind and body are working
together, and you have no time to have a mental lapse or to get lazy. This way keeps you interested and alert at all times.
With the step-up and jump rope routine, you do 10 minutes skipping, 3 and a half minutes rest periods and      step-ups for10 minutes, a total of 23 and a half minutes.
You will find that you will be totally absorbed, both mentally and physically.
Take this routine of 23 and a half minutes and compares it with the 1 hour jump rope routine, where your mind will tend to wander, I think you will see the difference as well as saving time.
The second routine is similar to the first. You do jump-rope and step-ups alternately. You start with 3 minutes jumping rope, (the last 10 seconds at full speed}. Then change to 2 minutes step-ups (1 minute each leg, doing 25 to 30 per minute.) do this 5 times non stop, which will take 25 minutes, and I found it to be equally as good as the first routine, I used to like to alternate the two routines every other work-out as a warm-up.
Another way to break up the monotony of doing 100 reps is to work the numbers.  Instead of doing a routine of 10 sets of 10 reps, or a straight 100. This can become boring. You can break the 100 reps up. Start with 10 reps, which if you add 1+2+3+4=10 so start with 10, then a 30 sec break between each set, then 5 reps, then 6, then 7, then 8, then 9, then 10. Then go back. 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, and finish up with the last 10. That will give you a100 reps.     

Very Respectfully Yours,

Billy

Billy A. Robinson

Professional Wrestler
10/8/09 6:56 PM
TrickyG
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tremendous. Billy's the man. thanks for posting.
10/8/09 7:13 PM
Squared Circle
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT for Billy
10/8/09 7:15 PM
nowaydo
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
10/8/09 7:21 PM
wmkelleo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT
10/8/09 7:38 PM
PINKsinglet

yeah i need to start taping Billy teach classes to put on youtube, when he calls someone a dummy its priceless
10/8/09 7:59 PM
RandomMan

t
10/8/09 8:05 PM
Squared Circle

PINKsinglet -  yeah i need to start taping Billy teach classes to put on youtube, when he calls someone a dummy its priceless

Do it.

I think I've only seen one or two Billy Robinson instructional vids on youtube, but I've watched them more than once.  The guy's fun to listen to.
10/8/09 8:08 PM
DanasDaddy
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Up
10/8/09 8:12 PM
mfah

i love the old catch wrestling stuff , i wish there a true rep for them these days
10/8/09 8:35 PM
kying418
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How awesome it must be to get to train with Billy Robinson and Hillary all in the same gym!

(Not to mention the world's tallest 155 lbs fighter and a guy that likes to wear pink sinklets)
10/8/09 8:50 PM
cortXbomb

Edited: 10/08/09 9:23 PM
Very helpful.

Is there any chance Billy would go around doing seminars? I'm sure there'd be enough demand even at a high price.

Edit: Just did a deck of cards. Great advice.
10/8/09 9:07 PM
mr nemo

Great read.
10/8/09 9:18 PM
kying418
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Could you describe what it is like to train or roll with Billy?

Must be awesome.
10/8/09 10:01 PM
PINKsinglet

Cort, and kying, this answer will kind of be to both of ya,

Billy is 71 going on 172.  His body is shot, he has replaced hips and replaced knees. His nervous system is messed up from neck injuries which makes his hands a little rough to work with.  Billy walks with a cain and only does seminars where he has someone that knows exactly what he wants when he is explaining something. 

Now all that being said, he still has a passion for teaching like none i have ever seen.  He came in one day to work with some guys on cage takedowns and he started trying to climb up the stairs to the cage and i said, "Coach you dont need to go in the cage" to which he replied "The hell i dont".  When he wants to show you about keeping weight on someone he will grab the closest guy and say "Defense position" of course he wants you on all fours so he can use you as a stool to get down and then up again.  But when his old ass gets on you he feels like he is 500 lbs. 

Billy is a hoot to be around when he starts talking about some old pro wrestling stories.  One of the gym favorites is about suplexing a fat woman in a hotel room and breaking the bed into pieces lol.  But hey thats what a girl gets when she bets Billy Robinson that he cant suplex her lol.

As for day in day out training with Billy, its hard for green guys that have no wrestling or bjj expereince to pick up alot of what hes doing since its hard for him to do alot of demonstrating.  However, if you have a wrestling base or prior grappling training, you can better understand what he is saying and get ALOT out of it. 

Personaly i watch alot of what Coach does and pick and choose what i work on with him.  Im incredibly small and honestly i dont want to practice alot of the throws that he shows lol.  For me, the best thing from Billy is when he watches me do what im already doing and stops me and tells me how i can tweak it and make it more affective.  He has most certainly made me fall in love with the top and double wristlocks all over again. 

Now i wuld have hated to have had to get on the mat with this fucker in the pic (Billy in his 30s)

10/8/09 10:16 PM
kying418

Awesome- thanks for the post!
10/8/09 10:37 PM
Hillary
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Billy is a riot. I have to cipher through his techniques to pick out the ones that work for me but he'll show you something magical every once in a while that brings a whole new perspective to the game. He got the gym rolling more competitively, bringing in more neck manipulation and leg locks, which really helped me get ready for ADCC.

Plus, he calls me "love" in a British accent, and that just rules.
10/8/09 11:25 PM
wmkelleo

TTT AGAIN!!!
10/9/09 12:55 AM
nowaydo
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
10/9/09 12:57 AM
nowaydo

ttt
10/9/09 12:58 AM
nowaydo

ttt
10/9/09 3:18 AM
PoundforPound
154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome post.

PINKsinglet, I'd love to hear what routines Billy recommends with the surgical tubing. If he ever shares that with you guys.
10/9/09 3:20 AM
PINKsinglet

I will ask him.  He should be in the gym Saturday.

10/9/09 5:19 AM
de braco
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.