UnderGround Forums

GeekGround >> Marvel help- what's going on?

10/8/09 10:05 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
martial_shadow
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ok guys, I've been a DCer for the past 10yrs. I've got passing familiarity with the major players in Marvel (X-Men, Avengers, Shield, etc.).

Well, except for Blackest Night DC has been sucking lately (and really been in a 3 yr slump IMO, they come up with a GREAT stroy idea, do 1 good issue and then 6 bad issues). So I picked up some Marvel stuff and realized the playing field must have shifted dramatically at some point in the last ten yrs. Tons of things are going on and I'm totally pulling a WTF. Any help would be appreciated (what TPB to pick up, how long ago this happened, WTF actually happened).

1- Shield doesn't exist and the Green Goblin is running Hammer (its apparent replacement?) and he's gettin Drakken to run around and pretend to Wolverine? WTF? Where's Fury and Washington and why aren't they kicking in heads?

2- Daredevil is running the Hand? WTF? And why is Elektra hanging out with a Red Hulk and not dealing with that?

3- Red Hulk is running around beating the crap out of ppl? When did Hulk get red? What happened to that kid he had on that alien planet with the earth based power? Did he go red?

4- Wolverine is in charge of an X team that is basically made up of Wolverine wannabes? Really? No better ideas?

5- Red Hulk said the US is honoring men like Wolverine and that's why he 'became' Red Hulk- when did mutants get accepted in society?

6- Red Skull is still alive? Didn't Cap kill him like 5 times?

7- Is Old Mad Logan in normal continuity or an alternate dimension/what if deal? And Hulk is green again? wtf?

Thank you Marvel fans. I might switch camps if I can figure wtf is going on and DC continues sucking into the new yr.

MS
10/9/09 12:28 AM
EKPOGI
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ill answer the ones i know

1.GreenGoblin killed the head Skrull during their attempted invasion of Earth on national TV.Tony Stark was head of shield then and he was blamed for the attack.Stark was fired,Norm is now in charge and renamed SHIELD to HAMMER.he formed his own avengers and xmen with substitute characters for most.(ex Bullseye as Hawkeye,Venom as spidey,etc).

3.RedHulk is not THE HULK/Bruce Banner.some other gamma dude who for some reason,is beating and killing the shit out of topnotch characters.

4.Xforce is the blackops team of Cyclops.they kill unlike the Xmen.aside from X-23(and i guess Wolfsbane),the rest are not wolverine clones.like warpath,domino,elixir.plus i find the comic book very good.they are gonna go up against Selen the BlackQueen soon in their own Blackest Night called Necrosha.

5.mutants found a safe haven in San Franciso,still not accepted since they are facing extinction.

7.oldmanlogan is a possible earth-616 50 years from now future.not exactly alternate.since the characters from that storyline has already made it to the normal continuity(in Fantastic Four)
10/9/09 12:52 AM
orcus
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Norm is now in charge and renamed SHIELD to HAMMER.he formed his own avengers and xmen with substitute characters for most.(ex Bullseye as Hawkeye,Venom as spidey,etc)."

So the government said "well, you killed that skrull, so sure, get all these supervillains out of prison and make them the new super teams"?

Also, how did Elektra come back to life this time?
10/9/09 1:22 AM
EKPOGI
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the supervillains were already on government sponsored Thunderbolts.they just wore the costumes of Hawkeye,Wolverine and a scaled down Venom.most of the supervillains could go legit and pardon if they sign to the initiative.no idea about Elektra.although daredevil leading the Hand sounds cool.
10/9/09 10:00 AM
crescentwrench
237 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

San Francisco, mutants, not accepted.  Get it?  No ham on those hands.
10/9/09 12:44 PM
uratoker2
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

just forget you ever saw a red hulk. I have.......
10/9/09 12:56 PM
jitz4u

Ok, Ill give the Daredevil one a shot. Electra was leading the hand, the ressurected her is how she came back. The Skrulls kidnapped her and had a a replacement electra skrull take her place. Fake Electra was killed, so the Hand had no leader and went in search of one. The Hand interim leader is a Lady Bullseye, yea admittedly copying Bullseye, and they choose their greatest enemy to lead them, but go about recruiting him to lead them by screwing up his entire life, and hope he has no other option but to lead them.
Daredevil has been a great run, every one of these stories were great.
Also, just pretend all the Red Hulk stories are out of continuity and written by a 5 year old.
Also, Spider-Man has made a deal with Mephisto to save Aunt May's life, but it erased all events of him ever being married to Mary Jane. So everyone boycotted the Spider Man comics until they restore this travesty.
10/9/09 1:09 PM
Daredevil73
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Elektra is running around with Rulk?

As for the Daredevil running the Hand thing, this is all a set up for Norman Osborn to send his own team of dark Avengers, led by Bullseye (pretending to be Hawkeye) after them to set up a huge arch-enemy battle.
10/9/09 5:14 PM
martial_shadow
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also, Spider-Man has made a deal with Mephisto to save Aunt May's life, but it erased all events of him ever being married to Mary Jane. So everyone boycotted the Spider Man comics until they restore this travesty.

Ok... someone has got to explain that one. You guys complain about the crap in DC! Peter Parker makes a deal with the Devil (the actual Devil) and gives up the one girl he's been in love with since the beginning of time!?!

I could actually see the Hand screwing up DDs life until he said "Fine! I'll do it."

I still don't get this Shield-Hammer deal. Tony Stark is running Shield- ok, where did Fury go? The Scrulls invade Earth- ok. Tony gets blamed- that actually makes sense. Norman Osborne kills like 1-2 Scrulls and replaces him. Ok- for the purposes of accepting a comic book universe, ok. He reorganizes the entire agency and starts working with some of the nastiest ppl in the marvel universe- and the government is ok with this? The President doesn't mind having Drakken run around pretending to be Logan killing ppl? That would run counter to what Red Hulk said.

I'm guessing I should pick up Civil War, is there anything else I'd need to figure this out? Thanks for your help.

10/9/09 5:35 PM
jitz4u

Ok, Nick Fury went underground before the Skrull invasion and actually before Stark took over because he knew something was up. I think he went underground after Secret War, which was a black ops deal, and is a good story you can get in trade. Its worth a read.
So Stark took over Shield, Cap got killed right after Civil War so a lot of ppl blamed Stark non-directly. So his popularity was low, Osborne was over the thunderbolts and killed the skrull queen and kinda stopped the invasion (with help from every earth hero in the MU) So he got promoted to head up Shield, which he reformed into Hammer.
The President and politicians dont realize the Avengers he has are really reformed Criminals and he doesn't want anyone finding out, (IE Bullseye is Hawkeye and Daken is Wolverine) and he uses other criminals to do dirty jobs for him also, The Hood, Dr Doom, and Loki are just a few.
Hope that helped clear things up a bit.
10/9/09 7:50 PM
martial_shadow

That actually explains a lot.

So when Red Hulk is saying the President is honoring men like Wolverine- its actually Draken working for Osborne pretending to be Wolverine that the President is honoring. And he's unaware the Draken is going around doing assasination deals rather than really dealing with stuff that HAMMER should be dealing with.

Either Marvel writers are way smarter than DC writers or I need to get out of grad school and stop seeing links and patterns everywhere.
10/9/09 8:51 PM
jackangle
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Correction...

The X-Men and mutants are basically sequestered, segregated, exiled onto what was once Asteroid M...now a floating island off the coast of SF. Magneto made his return in the last Uncanny.

I'm really digging what's been going on in the X books!
10/10/09 11:31 AM
RedTamponUK
376 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DC has Secret six,Green Lantern (as mentioned) and Batman and Robin...all of which are awesome right now.
10/10/09 12:08 PM
orcus

martial_shadow - That actually explains a lot.

So when Red Hulk is saying the President is honoring men like Wolverine- its actually Draken working for Osborne pretending to be Wolverine that the President is honoring. And he's unaware the Draken is going around doing assasination deals rather than really dealing with stuff that HAMMER should be dealing with.

Either Marvel writers are way smarter than DC writers or I need to get out of grad school and stop seeing links and patterns everywhere.
Could be, but I think you might be giving Loeb more credit than he deserves. The way I took it was just that Rulk was disgusted that a (as far as most of the world knows) scummy little berzerker was on the Avengers, who are supposed to be "earth's mightiest heroes".

10/10/09 7:31 PM
ShadoKhan
121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wiki it, you'll find all you look for
;)
10/10/09 8:47 PM
TomBSupraT
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yea I just Wiki'd everything since my only connection to the MU is Deadpool and Punisher but I have been picking up HULK since both are in it. I wanted to get into The List One Shots so I read up on Wikipedia and it explained a ton.

I'm debating on wether to maybe start with the upcoming Seige but I'm not too keen on reading 30 titles to get the entire story. Marvel superheroes are really not my thing.

However the GG has turned me onto Green Lantern / Corps and I'm really digging it so far. I'm read up to Sinestro War and can't wait for the BN trades!
10/11/09 12:25 AM
martial_shadow

This stuff is one Wiki?!?! damn....
10/11/09 6:22 AM
CharlesLewis
783 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's been really good, barring the red Hulk stuff.
10/11/09 10:10 PM
SKARHEAD
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

X-Force is the book everyone was ready to clown...until it came out. The book, story, and art has been badass. Wolverine and his kill crew written as they should be. One very bloody, violent book. It's currently THE best X-book IMO.
10/13/09 9:47 AM
Kneeblock
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Over in DC, there is still good.

SECRET SIX of one of the best books being published.
10/13/09 12:41 PM
jitz4u

Im digging JSA, all the Blackest Night stuff, and Secret Six. JSA and Secret Six were reccomendations of the GG, as well as the Boys, and are all great reads. See the GG does good from time to time, haha
10/14/09 1:20 AM
thefaint

Ugh... I was all pumped up about JSA when Willingham took over, but it turned out to be garbage. Dropped it after two issues. I don't really understand all the hype for Secret Six, either. I really didn't enjoy the few issues I read.

That said, there's plenty of good stuff going on in DC right now. What books are/were you reading? The only things I'm reading from Marvel right now are Daredevil and Punisher Noir with plans to jump back on Punisher MAX when Jason Aaron takes over. I can't deal with their huge crossovers and world changing events that happen as soon as the last one ends.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.