UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Mousasi to face Sokoudjou on Nov. 7

10/9/09 10:54 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mike Chiappetta
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mma.fanhouse.com/2009/10/09/sokoudjou-vs-gegard-mousasi-likely-for-strikeforce-on-cbs/

A fight between Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou and Gegard Mousasi failed to materialize in the Dream Super Hulk Tournament in Japan, but it is now expected to take place in Illinois and be broadcast by CBS as part of the November 7 Strikeforce/M-1 Global card.

FanHouse has learned that Strikeforce has submitted the Sokoudjou-Mousasi fight to Illinois' athletic commission, and pending approval, the fight will take place on the undercard of the Fedor Emelianenko vs. Brett Rogers CBS show. Mousasi is the Strikeforce light heavyweight champion, but this will be a non-title fight, even though the fight will be contested at the light heavyweight limit of 205 pounds. 
10/9/09 10:56 AM
NoPlacebo
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Step down for Gegard but a win is a win and it keeps his momentum going. Kind of a lose-lose fight for him though, if he gets put to sleep by Sok that sents him back quite a bit.
10/9/09 10:57 AM
Mike Chiappetta
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I dont think there were too many other options. I heard another option was Mike Whitehead, but they couldn't agree on a catchweight.
10/9/09 10:58 AM
Card
1914 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If Mousasi wins... the SUPER HULK = pointless.

10/9/09 11:02 AM
Hus
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So...here's a dumb question. Who will Mousasi eventually defend his belt against? Is King Mo the only one out there with enough cred for the fans to not call it a joke?
10/9/09 11:02 AM
ippon213
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RIP Sokojew
10/9/09 11:03 AM
Eatin Applesauce

i like this i was dissapointed when mousasi had to pull out of the last one..
10/9/09 11:05 AM
Card
1914 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Soko just lost to Babalu (this year) as well...  =\
10/9/09 11:05 AM
BigRay
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Card makes a good point about Sokoudjou and the Super Hulk Tournament.

The question we should all be asking ourselves is what kind of organization in Japan would allow one of their fighters to compete in a tournament while pregnant?!?
10/9/09 11:09 AM
Mike Chiappetta

Hus - So...here's a dumb question. Who will Mousasi eventually defend his belt against? Is King Mo the only one out there with enough cred for the fans to not call it a joke?

There's not much out there as far as name fighters at 205. It's going to be a challenge for Strikeforce to make compelling fights for Mousasi at 205. King Mo is probably the best future matchup they can put together. As far as free agents or guys they have under contract it's Paulo Filho, Arona, Whitehead.
10/9/09 12:15 PM
Saint721
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

is there a reason its not a title fight?
10/9/09 12:26 PM
orcus

Glad to see Strikeforce is coming out of the gate strong by having the two best fighters in their org by a mile fight in non-title fights, despite one of them actually having the title.

Never thought I'd say this, but I hope Sokodjou wins. Non-title fights are sorry bullshit that I thought died with Pride.

Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with them when it comes to titles?

Fedor, #1 fighter in the world, vs undefeated Rogers = non-title, despite it headlining the card. Instead let's keep the belt on Alistair who has NEVER fought in Strikeforce since winning the title two years ago and is actively avoiding fighting there ever again. "Sorry guys, I'm injured...oh, I've signed for like five other fights this fall? Um..."

Mousasi, 205 champion, vs Sokodjou = non-title.

Shields vs Mayhem instead of Jacare for title, after *finally* stripping Cung Le who likewise never defended his title or showed any inclination of doing so. The only title fight on the card, and it's not the headliner, and it's got the wrong guy in the fight.

Hieron vs Taylor non-title even though Hieron was going to fight Nick for the title, and the title is vacant. Apparently Hieron (or anybody) will not get a title shot unless it's against Nick, who has never fought in Strikeforce at 170 and whose last spotty stretch of WW fights was years ago.
10/9/09 12:29 PM
DRen

lol who gave a shit about the superhulk anyways
10/9/09 12:45 PM
Boldar

All things considered this is probably the best main card they could put together:

MAIN CARD
  • Fedor Emelianenko vs. Brett Rogers
  • Jason "Mayhem" Miller vs. Jake Shields (for vacant Strikeforce middleweight title)
  • Champ Gegard Mousasi vs. Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou (non-title match)
  • Antonio Silva vs. Fabricio Werdum

I'm not sure where they go from here but hopefully those will all be good fights although they seem to be awful last minute outside Fedor/Brett.  Tought spot for Strikeforce but they're giving it their best shot.  I'll watch it.
10/9/09 12:51 PM
Gullivers Travels
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

eh not too great. I agree with everything Orcus said though, and hope Soko KO's him standing also, though it's doubtful.
10/9/09 12:55 PM
Tomato Can
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Card - 

LOL, as if it ever had a point to begin with.
10/9/09 12:57 PM
Dawkins

I'm sure it has something to do with it being on CBS and that their are already 2 title fights.
10/9/09 12:57 PM
perfy
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Meh, hoping he would smash Filho. Maybe Sok will catch him otherwise it goes to the ground and easy victory for Mousasi.
10/9/09 1:03 PM
orcus

"I'm sure it has something to do with it being on CBS and that their are already 2 title fights."

There is only one title fight, Mayhem vs Shields.

What's the point in putting their star and champion Mousasi on the card if he's not defending his title? And while I am no fan of Sokodjou, he might be better than anyone else Strikeforce has in the division, so what is the point in wasting him in a non-title fight? So, what, Mousasi will fight Sokodjou non-title and then defend the belt against Wayne Cole or Dewees?
10/9/09 1:07 PM
smoogy
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Card - 

Heh, this is such a melodramatic statement I have to believe you are joking. The Super Hulk has fulfilled its purpose by giving the TV audience some visually compelling fights that helped boost ratings in the short term, and it will probably give Dynamite 2009 a good bump as well.

Were you under the impression it was some kind of critically important tournament from a competitive perspective? Because it isn't. Losing to Mousasi has no effect on Sokoudjou's ability to pound the tar out of pro wrestlers

10/9/09 1:13 PM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think its a good fight, but having it a non title fight is silly

only thing I could think of is if they are trying to get Lashley on the card and will go with 5 fights, I know they said 4, but if they can get Lashley they need to put him on tv

maybe it will be a title fight by the time of the show, who knows
10/9/09 1:26 PM
joemama

yes there is saint721.
10/9/09 1:28 PM
joemama

who the hell wants soko to win?

mousasi by arm bar
10/9/09 1:55 PM
CRBMoney14

Card - If Mousasi wins... the SUPER HULK = pointless.

The superhulk was already pointless.

But Ill still be interested in Sokoudjou/Minowa, If Sokoudjou cant win that it will be pretty much end his career
10/9/09 1:57 PM
OctopusFighter
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

orcus -  
Fedor, #1 fighter in the world, vs undefeated Rogers = non-title, despite it headlining the card. Instead let's keep the belt on Alistair who has NEVER fought in Strikeforce since winning the title two years ago and is actively avoiding fighting there ever again. "Sorry guys, I'm injured...oh, I've signed for like five other fights this fall? Um..."

While agree with the rest of your post, this isn't strictly accurate.

The reason Alistair didn't fight in Strikeforce for a year after winning the title is he was not under Strikeforce contract at the time. Strikeforce signed him to a one-fight deal and immediately had him fight Buentello for the title; after he won it was over a year and a half before Strikeforce even signed him to a contract again.

Also, Overeem had already committed to fight in the K-1 GP finals in September before Strikeforce had even scheduled him to fight in August. His hand injury was well-publicized and almost caused him to lose his hand; it did not leave him enough time to train for the August bout - the fact that he was still able to compete in an event six weeks after the August bout that he'd already committed doesn't have anything to do with whether he should have been able to fight in August.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.