UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> I'm old and want to learn to play guitar...

10/9/09 8:26 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
nostripewhite
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WTF next? I know next to jack. My sister used to play guitar, but looking back she was awful.

Electric or acoustic? I only really like heavy rock or metal, I can't see myself playing around a campfire, but I need a new hobby and this seems to be it.

Word?
10/10/09 2:20 AM
inkexcape

learn that Classical Gas song. Bitches be throwing they pussy at you... money back guarantee...
10/10/09 1:23 PM
Nostradumbass

Get a tuner and a metronome. Learn the basics on an acoustic. Stay in tune and in time. Practice slow. Learn how to read music and avoid tablature.

I've been playing for a long time and after realizing I can play a bunch of cool sounding complex stuff, yet I can't play any basic stuff (I suck at simple rhythm stuff and laughable beginner tunes),I am about to start over from scratch.

I'm getting out my Mel Bay beginner book this weekend and will actually open it up this time- only 25 years after I should have in the first place.
10/12/09 11:24 AM
Nostradumbass

BTW, the new issue of Guitar Player (it has Les Paul on the cover- December issue) has a great 2 page article on how to learn how to play the guitar. Pg 88-89. Awesome advice on how to learn from Les Paul.

Just go to a newsstand and read those two pages. I wish Les Paul taught me how to play the guitar.
10/16/09 4:49 PM
jimmy23
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am 40 years old, and have been learning to play for about six weeks

it is a challenge, but the drills are beginning to pay off

for me, the biggest challenge has been physically hitting the notes and getting my fingers to do what I want them to do
10/16/09 6:06 PM
whaledog
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/16/09 6:06 PM
jimmy23 -  I am 40 years old, and have been learning to play for about six weeks

it is a challenge, but the drills are beginning to pay off

for me, the biggest challenge has been physically hitting the notes and getting my fingers to do what I want them to do

Practicing consistently is everything.  I'm not particularly talented, but I was surprised by the progress I made by playing/practicing consistently for a year. 

Stick with it and hitting the notes will become natural.

10/16/09 7:38 PM
jimmy23
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thanks man

if I have any advantage, its that I am not planning on playing in front of anyone, ever. I am doing this just for me, and am in no hurry

maybe somewhere down the road, in a year or two, I might let someone outside of some close friends hear me play, but thats something I will think abut then
10/17/09 9:13 PM
Mitch Rommel
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/17/09 9:31 PM
Once you build up the strength in your fingers, the guitar is a lot of fun. If you want to play mostly rock, or heavy stuff, learn your power chords (5ths, 4ths, octaves). Practice slow even tempos before you speed up. If you want to solo, learn about minor scales, and modes. There's a book called "Power Tools For Guitar" that I would recommend.
10/27/09 10:19 AM
jimmy23

ben sherman -  buy the fender dvds "getting started on acoustic guitar" and "getting started on electric guitar".  if you do well with those youre on your way.

just ordered the first one :)
11/2/09 9:51 PM
jman
445 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm 40 next year but been playing guitar for 26 years.

I started on the acoustic and think that is the way to go when you start. If you can tough it out on an acoustic and learn some basic chords and maybe even sight reading some basic songs (Old Mac Donald and stuff). Then reward yourself with an electric.

To just start off with an electric isn't really a great way to go. It might be, but to really "discover" and enjoy the instrument, get a decent acoustic guitar for like $100. Tough it out for a year and the reward yourself with something better if you make it that far.

Have fun, I'm going through the same learning curve now with the piano. I suck and have been playing seriously for about a year. Man it is hard, but I love seeing the improvement over the weeks. Makes the hard work worth it for the most part.

GOOD LUCK!!!
11/4/09 10:23 AM
Ponyboy
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4LbCLFUndg
11/4/09 2:43 PM
alpo
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/04/09 2:48 PM
I think that the only reason you should start with electric is if you absolutely have no interest in playing acoustic at all.  The whole point of a hobby is to enjoy yourself.  If it just feels like a chore all the time, you aren't going to stick with it.  But, yeah, acoustic first is sort of the default order, for good reason. 

Honestly, you'll probably own both within a few months anyway.  I think I had 1 acoustic and 2 electrics after only about 6 months of playing. 

FWIW, I didn't start playing until I was 30, so I was sort of in the same boat as you.  My manager didn't start until he was 40, two years ago, and he can already play the full Ratt and Def Leppard discography. lol  Age doesn't matter, dude.  Yeah, some people your age might have 20 yeare more experience, but who cares?  In a few years, you'll be able to play all kinds of shit and you'll be having a lot of fun doing it. 
11/4/09 5:41 PM
jimmy23

going to my first formal lesson tonight, should be fun 
11/6/09 2:16 AM
chef kwon do
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i wanted to learn some slayer and metallica riffs so i got some tab and sat down and played. repeat everyday.
11/6/09 3:01 PM
DonkeyKick215
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you want to learn electric- keep an eye on craigslist and take a friend with you

Youtube is your friend for lessons
11/7/09 4:16 PM
DonkeyKick215

Yamaha is a good beginner -intermediate brand for either electric or acoustic. There is a green yamaha pacifica tele on my local craigslist for $100

I have a Yamaha LL-6 acoustic that I paid 400 for used. This is a great acoustic
11/8/09 4:00 PM
nostripewhite

I ended up getting a Godin. Canadian brand. Seems to be aight. I'm going to wait until the new year to get an electric.
11/9/09 2:05 AM
Ponyboy
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You made a very good choice.
11/9/09 12:02 PM
Hillbilly
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Godin makes good stuff! Which model did you get?
11/10/09 11:45 AM
nostripewhite

http://www.simonandpatrick.com/songsmith.htm

This one!
11/11/09 11:52 AM
Racer X
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn, you got a nice guitar!

Good on ya! Have fun, I'll bet it sounds nice.
2/12/10 3:27 PM
kylethasnizake
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

esteban muthafuckas
2/18/10 3:20 AM
migel

I learned with jamorama.
3/12/10 1:07 PM
nostripewhite

Gosh, I let this thread die.

Five months on, I've been taking lessons consistently. I've got the acoustic mentioned above as well as an Epiphone Les Paul standard, (in black).

Still having loads of fun with it. I don't seem to have alot of focus though, I can play like 50% of alot of songs, but the only song I can play all the way through is Chemical Wedding, by Bruce Dickinson. Except the solo. I know it, but I'm wayyyy too slow.

I mean, I can play stuff like brown eyed girl and take it easy, but only the major open chord stuff.

We'll see how I'm doing in 25 years. :D
3/13/10 12:56 PM
Racer X
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

five months, nice progress.

what kind of amp did you get for the Epiphone?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.