UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> I'm old and want to learn to play guitar...

3/13/10 3:25 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
nostripewhite
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've got a Line 6 Spider IV. Works nice, has a few presets, sounds good in the day time when I crank it up, and I got a decent set of headphones to play late at night.

Now if I could only get used to playing standing up :)
4/8/10 11:46 PM
nostripewhite

Haven't decided if I should get a bass guitar and fiddle around with that or not!

Still getting between 1 hour a day, or 5 hours a day when I'm feeling super obsessed in. May throw something on YouTube soon. Maybe!
4/9/10 12:10 PM
whaledog
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds like it's going well.  Keep it up, and let us hear how you're doin'
4/10/10 10:55 AM
Hillbilly
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nostripewhite - 
Now if I could only get used to playing standing up :)

Choke up on your strap and bring the guitar up and not hanging down to your knees. When I saw Shawn Lane with BOA a zillion years ago he had his guitar hanging so low that his arms were almost straight. It was the damnest thing I`ve seen and still can`t figure out how the hell he played so great holding the guitar like that.
6/13/10 11:50 AM
RyPuhnie
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Im like the other dude on here. I can solo and runs scales etc, but ask me to play 2 full songs and I cant. I need to also go back to the beginning. Been trying to be Hendrix for 8 years hasnt paid off lol.
6/13/10 12:45 PM
Ryan Wood
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nostripewhite - Gosh, I let this thread die.

Five months on, I've been taking lessons consistently. I've got the acoustic mentioned above as well as an Epiphone Les Paul standard, (in black).

Still having loads of fun with it. I don't seem to have alot of focus though, I can play like 50% of alot of songs, but the only song I can play all the way through is Chemical Wedding, by Bruce Dickinson. Except the solo. I know it, but I'm wayyyy too slow.

I mean, I can play stuff like brown eyed girl and take it easy, but only the major open chord stuff.

We'll see how I'm doing in 25 years. :D

Fuck yeah @ Chemical Wedding! Great taste in music!!
6/16/10 2:14 PM
nostripewhite

Huge fan of 80's metal, especially Maiden. That's been more or less my big focus on trying to learn to play.

Still having a load of fun with it, but I can see what people told me about doing the same thing a thousand times, haha.

I must have run through the first few sections of Revelations 50 times this week.
6/16/10 5:26 PM
nostripewhite

Just spent a couple of hours playing guitars.

Tried some Ibanez guitars that the store had, then I played with a 500'ish dollar Fender Strat.

I'm playing the Les Paul. Going to Toronto to see Maiden in July, after that I'm either going to get another guitar or maybe try bass.

Any thoughts?
6/16/10 5:29 PM
Mitch Rommel
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It really depends on what guitar is most comfortable for you, and how much you're willing to spend. Most pro-quality guitars start at around a grand, but you can get something very decent for 500. And if you're playing metal, make sure you have a guitar with a humbucker for the bridge pickup.
6/16/10 7:55 PM
nostripewhite

I can't see myself ever needing a pro-quality guitar. I only started playing in October, just turned 27 and have a very nightshift oriented job. No self respecting band would want me, haha.
6/16/10 10:13 PM
Ryan Wood
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/16/10 10:14 PM
90% of what I play is Iron Maiden! I've got an Ibanez RG350 with a Dimebucker in the bridge--it's by no means close to a pro level guitar but it's more than good enough for me.

If you like, take a look at my youtube channel, it's got a bunch of covers of Maiden and Bruce stuff, Revelations and Chemical Wedding included!

www.youtube.com/creepingdeath84

Try to get a guitar with a humbucker in the neck position as well, if you want to get that vintage Dave Murray solo tone.

I'm seeing Maiden in Saskatoon in 13 days! You have no idea how pumped I am lol
6/17/10 1:34 PM
nostripewhite

Oh, I do.

I'm seeing them July 3rd in Toronto!
6/19/10 12:16 PM
RyPuhnie
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/23/10 8:26 PM
yea dude practice standing up, its a little different. Also wait until you want to sing and play at the same time, also takes a bit to get used to. R.O with you C.O
6/20/10 7:53 PM
nostripewhite

RyPuhnie - yea dude practice standing up, its a little different. Also wait until you want to sing and play at the same time, also takes a but to get used to. R.O with you C.O

I've been working on the standing part. I checked out how Murray and Smith stood, kinda leaned back, helped a bit.

No worries about me singing however, I sound like a bull being raped by a whale.
6/23/10 11:29 AM
Racer X
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^Thats a very popular singing style right now.
6/23/10 5:46 PM
alpo
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Singing and playing is hard as hell.  I don't know how people do it, especially bands like Necrophagist.  Strumming is one thing, but sometimes you see people playing really complex riffs and I just don't understand how that is possible. lol
1/24/11 1:22 PM
khd29

I think I will always need lessons. My first lesson was when I was 25 for 6 months, classical lessons for 1.5 years at 32 and now at 37, decided to pick-up flamenco. In between I just taught myself to play some songs, scales, etc.. I worry about getting stuck in sheet music and not play freely.

3/25/11 5:37 PM
nostripewhite

I've been taking lessons... Since I started this thread.

Still suck. Hahaha.
3/25/11 10:17 PM
Ryan Wood

I bet if you listened to how you sounded back when you made the thread compared to now you'd be surprised, man. It's a life long journey, keep picking away!
3/26/11 12:32 PM
Hillbilly
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

alpo - Singing and playing is hard as hell.  I don't know how people do it, especially bands like Necrophagist.  Strumming is one thing, but sometimes you see people playing really complex riffs and I just don't understand how that is possible. lol

The old blues guys called the "Whisper".
3/27/11 1:08 AM
alpo

Hillbilly - 
alpo - Singing and playing is hard as hell.  I don't know how people do it, especially bands like Necrophagist.  Strumming is one thing, but sometimes you see people playing really complex riffs and I just don't understand how that is possible. lol

The old blues guys called the "Whisper".

wat
3/27/11 8:07 PM
Hillbilly

what do you mean wat?..lol Playing single note lines and singing at the same time.
4/5/11 5:17 PM
DKielbasa

I started playing just after 30 and have been playing for a year and half and can play hundreds of songs. I started out learning the basic chords and spending as much time around friends who were musicians and good teachers as well. Some people can teach some cannot. Start with your basic cowboy chords and become good at them ( C,Dm, Am, G) Then progress to some other chords (Em, F and some other of the D chords) and you will be able to play rock and roll. If you can feel rhythm you do not need a metronome and it may be more rewarding in the end to play songs how you hear them as opposed to the perfect beat or pitch. Also invest in a Capo you can play thousands of song by using a CAPO and sticking with the basic chords. Good lucK and PM me for any advice.
4/20/11 12:18 AM
nostripewhite

I hate Capos. They look funny.

Just got back from a week away to see Iron Maiden. Must. Pick. Up. Guitar... After... Nap.
4/20/11 12:30 AM
Ryan Wood

Up The Irons!!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.