UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> I'm old and want to learn to play guitar...

4/20/11 9:54 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
nostripewhite
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Up the fuckin' Irons!
4/24/11 10:08 PM
Ryan Wood
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just bought this yesterday, figured I'd throw it in here:

6/9/11 1:40 AM
nostripewhite

That's much more metal than my guitars, lol. I should take some pictures.

Just about to finish up my second year of lessons. I changed teachers in September because the last guy moved away, and my new teacher has SO much more enthusiasm.

I've slacked on my timing/metronome exercises, and I can't do much in the way of solos, but I'm getting much steadier on lead and rhythm parts.

Certainly not any kind of guitar god, but, I'm still having tons of fun with it. This week he told me to sort out 'Riding on the Wind', and be able to follow the song consistently... without the solos. lol.
6/12/11 12:21 AM
DKielbasa

nostripewhite - That's much more metal than my guitars, lol. I should take some pictures.

Just about to finish up my second year of lessons. I changed teachers in September because the last guy moved away, and my new teacher has SO much more enthusiasm.

I've slacked on my timing/metronome exercises, and I can't do much in the way of solos, but I'm getting much steadier on lead and rhythm parts.

Certainly not any kind of guitar god, but, I'm still having tons of fun with it. This week he told me to sort out 'Riding on the Wind', and be able to follow the song consistently... without the solos. lol.

Good to hear. Now give a capo a shot as it is the short cut to learning to play because you can play so many different songs with different pitches and speeds where normally with knowing only one pitch you cannot.
6/12/11 12:24 AM
Ryan Wood
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is the first thing I've recorded with the new axe. Over all it came out decently, in accordance with my current skill level, I guess.
6/12/11 12:37 AM
DKielbasa

Well done.
6/12/11 1:21 PM
nostripewhite

I don't... really... want to play with a capo friend.

I don't think a capo is for me.
6/13/11 4:11 AM
DKielbasa

nostripewhite - I don't... really... want to play with a capo friend.

I don't think a capo is for me.

I did not think beer was for me at 15. Just sayin...
6/13/11 3:16 PM
nostripewhite

I play mainly electric, and mainly rock or metal based stuff. I just don't see a capo being for me. I'm starting to poke around into alternate tunings... sticking the capo on there just doesn't seem like it's the path I want to go...

I could be wrong, but nobody has ever really told me what'd be so great about one.
6/14/11 5:17 AM
Invisible Lats Syndrome

It lets you use chord voicings you wouldn't be able to use without it for the most part.
6/14/11 11:07 PM
nostripewhite

I just don't know if a capo would be a good use of my time. It seems to me that it'd mess up alot of my riff/power chord related stuff. I don't play chords much. Just kind of opens and barres.

I'll have to think of something productive to post here instead of my capo related whining, just trying to give the thread a kick in the pants.
6/14/11 11:50 PM
DKielbasa

Yeah man, you must be a young kid that knows it all. Peace out and good luck.
6/15/11 1:33 AM
nostripewhite

DKielbasa - Yeah man, you must be a young kid that knows it all. Peace out and good luck.

I'm glad you're exiting my thread, thank you for your input.
6/15/11 1:43 AM
Ponyboy
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I use standard tuning as much as possible.

John5 spent a lot of time learning to play zeppelin songs in standard tuning and I think I saw Derek Trucks playing slide in standard tuning....which requires a lot of string muting.
6/16/11 3:05 AM
Invisible Lats Syndrome

nostripewhite - I just don't know if a capo would be a good use of my time. It seems to me that it'd mess up alot of my riff/power chord related stuff. I don't play chords much. Just kind of opens and barres.

I'll have to think of something productive to post here instead of my capo related whining, just trying to give the thread a kick in the pants.

Bro, it's not going to change anything about how you use your time. Just pretend the capo is the nut and play open chords just the same.
6/17/11 11:42 PM
nostripewhite

Edited: 06/25/11 6:12 AM
F a capo.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.