UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> Anyone see Luke Holloway doing knife stuff?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

10/10/09 5:39 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
WaltJ
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/10/09 5:41 PM

By no means am I an expert on knife fighting, but I have extensive experience in Jujutsu (both Japanese and BJJ), and have done some knife stuff, but never with the completeness of some of the other systems out there.

This vid has embedding disabled by request, but here's the link-

www.youtube.com/watch

Anyone familiar with him?

And before anyone says anything, I don't give a shit about who's style is "real" or "made up".....the only thing I care about is effectiveness.  One thing in particular that I liked about some of the stuff he was showing is that even with the knife, it is very similar to the hand and wrist escapes found within traditional Jujutsu, to which I am very familiar with.

10/11/09 1:51 PM
WidespreadPanic
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's complete nonsense. Nobody engages at that distance. Sorry.

10/11/09 2:24 PM
WaltJ
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That was the only video of his that I've watched so far.

Surely he must cover other ranges?
10/11/09 3:55 PM
WidespreadPanic

If  you want to learn something worthwhile, get Marc Crafty Dog Denny's Die Less Often DVD.
10/13/09 12:02 PM
New2MMA
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wouldn't snake a knife, bad idea. Also, Widespread Panic-what is your background with knives and bladed weapons work?
10/13/09 12:27 PM
Guerrero
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WidespreadPanic - If  you want to learn something worthwhile, get Marc Crafty Dog Denny's Die Less Often DVD.

I would also reccomend the Red Zone DVDs from Centerline gym.

I cringe when I see knife disarm vids where guys just stand in front of each other and tappity, tappity, tappity, [insert fancy disarm], tappity, tappity, tappity, [insert fancy disarm], tappity, tappity, etc...
10/14/09 11:08 PM
mugumuchu

Damn, I passed centerline Gym all the time. I need to stop by one of these day. walking distance from my place.
10/26/09 12:47 PM
New2MMA
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So the general consensus seems to be that tapping does not work-is that to include the variations within arts which are more 'knife friendly' like Pekiti Tirsia and Atienza Kali? I'm asking because I'd like to learn more about ways that different systems deal with knives.

Tell me about Red Zone-what are the techniques like?
10/29/09 3:47 AM
phauna

Red zone involves grabbing the knife arm with both hands as they stab and then trying to get into a wrestling 2 on 1, you being on the outside of the arm. Then you muscle them to the ground with shoulder pressure.

DLO involves a kan sao type entry with a headbutt added, and from there to the above mentioned 2 on 1 behind the knife arm. Pretty similar things.
10/29/09 8:18 AM
Guerrero
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/29/09 8:42 PM
Like Phauna said: DLO, Redzone, and S.T.A.B. emphasize controlling the knife-weilding arm with a few different 2-on-1 type of grips. They also add in strikes, but even then, the emphasis is on controlling the guy's arm.
10/29/09 8:34 PM
Kai Tremeche

Guerrero - Like Phauna said, DLO, Redzone, and S.T.A.B. emphasize controlling the knife-weilding arm with a few different 2-on-1 type of grips. They also add in strikes, but even then, the emphasis is on controlling the guy's arm.

Seems to be the consensus...
11/19/09 12:59 PM
WidespreadPanic

New2MMA - So the general consensus seems to be that tapping does not work-is that to include the variations within arts which are more 'knife friendly' like Pekiti Tirsia and Atienza Kali? I'm asking because I'd like to learn more about ways that different systems deal with knives.

Tell me about Red Zone-what are the techniques like?
I'm of two minds on this. I don't believe that 'knife tapping' works as a valid method of applying one's skills, BUT, I don't think one should give up all 'sensitivity' training.

For one thing it is a partner drill (always good) and it does teach some timing, working with both arms/hands, and sub-dividing the beat. One thing that makes FMA effective is that they teach one the beat, half-beat, one-and-a-half beat (broken rhythm) and it teaches 'fast seeing' or fast eyes. So keep the drill, but be aware that you don't usually fight like that.

It's also important to put your training in perspective. Are you training for skill at doing the system? Are you training to be a knife fighter (as in military combat, ambushing, or the like)? Are you training to try and 'defend against' the knife? Are you training to just have some experience with weapons? Once you more clearly define your goals you can talk about effective training.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.