UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Go to better uni and take on more debt or......

10/11/09 2:14 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
amorphous
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Go to a smaller, but still very decent state University? I'm leaning towards computer science for undergrad and the University of Utah is supposed to have a pretty damn good CS dept. With my current job I have tuition reimbursement and can scrape by with little to no debt.

OR...would it be more advantageous to get into the best damn school I can and figure out the financial aid later? (which may mean graduating with quite a bit of debt) I was looking at Berkeley, but that will probably be too hard to get into. I'm not stupid, but I am trying to be realistic. (Do you have to be a natural-born genius scary smart SOB or can you work really hard to get into MIT?)

Same thing applies to grad school. Probably whatever my company will pay for huh?
10/14/09 7:50 PM
KenTheWalrus
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If the school name alone will open doors then it's worth it, if not then save the money. -ken
10/20/09 10:52 AM
None So Blind
205 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have my undergrad, MS, and Ph.D. from middle-of-the-road schools.

No one I ever spoke to about jobs once I finished ever gave a goddamn about where I got the degrees, just the fact that I had them at all.

Same with my undergrad degree when looking at grad schools.

IMHO, expensive colleges are completely not worth it - unless you just have to work at one specific company and that company *only* takes people from University X. I know people with doctoral degrees from Ivy League schools and people with degrees from small Div. II schools - and it makes no difference whatsoever in the performance of their jobs as far as I can see. Matter of fact, the Ivy Leaguers in my hospital have a smidgen more entitlement and attitude issues, so that's a mild negative in my book.

If you take a loan at a state U vs. a big-name U - do you have a pretty strong assurance that a degree from the second place will pay you the extra ~100K in loans that you will generate? I'm assuming Berkeley is $40K a year, Utah is $6-8K a year.

And it's s/w unclear from your post, but if this is only undegrad you're talking about, consider that an expensive grad program will tack on an additional $100K in debt.

Screw that.

10/21/09 12:13 AM
None So Blind
205 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Should add, just for context - I'm a member of several national societies, have over a dozen publications, have a great job, and in fact was named clinician of the year at my hospital - not bad for a boy from LSU and Ole Miss ;-)

And yes, that award means I beat out plenty folks from more prestigious schools....

10/23/09 6:16 AM
P.V.Jena
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you're trying to go into academia, it can make a very big difference.

But if its for a real job, it really doesn't matter.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.