UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Josh Neer "I've never been called boring"

10/12/09 3:29 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
LayzieTheSavage
199 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UFC 104 - Josh Neer: “That’s one thing I’ve never been called, is boring”

Mainstay on the Ultimate Fight Night events, Josh “The Dentist” Neer stepped up to the big stage at UFC 101, only to lose a decision to Kurt Pellegrino. Now Neer returns to action at UFC 104 when he takes on Gleison Tibau, and is going to approach the fight the same way he always does.

In a recent interview on UFC.com, Neer talks about his fighting philosophy and who he’d like to fight in the future.

“That’s one thing I’ve never been called, is boring. A lot of people go in to win by decision. I’ve never been that kind of fighter, which is why people like to see me fight. Even before the UFC started handing out bonuses, I was always looking to finish the fight by knockout or submission.”

“If you’re just going to go in and hold your opponent down to win a fight, no one is going to want to see you fight. People pay good money to watch you fight; the least you can do is put on a good show for them and bang it out. A lot of guys don’t want to do that; they just want to take the easy way out.”

“I’d love to fight Tyson Griffin or Sam Stout. Both of them would make for exciting fights. They’re both similar to my style of fighting in that they both go all out for the whole fight and try to finish the fight. People always talk about Tyson being boring or always winning by decision but I don’t see him going out and laying on people to win a decision. He goes out and tries to finish his opponents. I think his fights are exciting. I’d love to fight either of those guys.”

Neer is set to take on Tibau at UFC 104: Machida vs. Shogun on October 24th in Los Angeles. As well as Neer coming off a loss at UFC 101, Tibau is also coming off a loss to Melvin Guillard at the finale show of the ninth season of The Ultimate Fighter.

http://mmabay.co.uk/Story%2003026.html

10/12/09 3:34 PM
taylork3
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He could be if Tibau lays on him for 3, not his fault though

Agree they should match up with the names he's mentioned for exciting fights
10/12/09 3:39 PM
HendosToyinExplodingBoy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Neer tidbit from this week's Observer:

Josh Neer did not get prison time in a New Year’s Eve car chase with police. Authorities this past week released a videotape showing Neer fleeing from chasing police at up to 100 miles per hour. Neer pleased guilty in April of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated and felony eluding police in a 20-mile chase that ended when one of his tires blew out. Neer was sentenced to two years in prison for drunken driving, and give years for eluding police, but then suspended the prison time. He has two years of probation through May 2011 and is allowed to leave the state for work only. He was not put in prison. Neer has a series of convictions, including possession of alcohol while underage of 2002 (Neer is 25), urinating and defecating in public in 2003, disorderly conduct/fighting in 2004, operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated in 2006 and some traffic violations. He was ordered to abstain from drinking alcohol while on probation, complete a drunken-driving program and has already paid $5,481 in court costs.

10/12/09 3:47 PM
JerseyJoeJitsu

I liked the part where he got slapped by Kurt Pellegrino.
10/12/09 3:48 PM
LayzieTheSavage
199 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HendosToyinExplodingBoy - 

Josh Neer did not get prison time in a New Year’s Eve car chase with police. Authorities this past week released a videotape showing Neer fleeing from chasing police at up to 100 miles per hour. Neer pleased guilty in April of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated and felony eluding police in a 20-mile chase that ended when one of his tires blew out. Neer was sentenced to two years in prison for drunken driving, and give years for eluding police, but then suspended the prison time. He has two years of probation through May 2011 and is allowed to leave the state for work only. He was not put in prison. Neer has a series of convictions, including possession of alcohol while underage of 2002 (Neer is 25), urinating and defecating in public in 2003, disorderly conduct/fighting in 2004, operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated in 2006 and some traffic violations. He was ordered to abstain from drinking alcohol while on probation, complete a drunken-driving program and has already paid $5,481 in court costs.

Ain't that bad. 

10/12/09 3:52 PM
Reggie Warren Jr
161 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Reggie Warren Jr, The Man
 He's right...Tyson Griffin is always fun to watch.
10/12/09 3:57 PM
HendosToyinExplodingBoy

Convicted criminal.

The UFC should reconsider his status with them.
10/12/09 3:59 PM
LayzieTheSavage

Reggie Warren Jr -  He's right...Tyson Griffin is always fun to watch.

Nate Diaz

“That guy doesn’t want to fight me because he thinks he’s somewhere higher up than me? I just beat a guy that’s better than him. When was the last time he finished a fight anyways against any 155 pounder that was half decent on the ground … oh yeah never.”

– Nate Diaz — fresh off a thrilling submission win over Kurt Pellegrino at UFC Fight Night 13 — once again has some words for Tyson Griffin via GracieFighter.com. Griffin once trained with Diaz under Cesarr Gracie; however, he has since moved on to work with other camps … perhaps that doesn’t sit to well.

10/12/09 3:59 PM
Mad Xyientist
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This isn't an ideal style matchup for Dr. Neer.
10/12/09 4:00 PM
LayzieTheSavage

HendosToyinExplodingBoy - Convicted criminal.

The UFC should reconsider his status with them.
Agreed, extend this man's contract!!!

10/12/09 4:04 PM
LayzieTheSavage

Tyson Griffin Wants No Part of Nate Diaz

Griffin, who made the move from northern California to train at Xtreme Couture in Las Vegas, has also seen his share of controversy lately, most notably from the Diaz brothers, who felt his departure was "disloyal" to the Cesar Gracie fight team.

"I did leave a team, but it wasn't that team that I was with for a long time," Griffin said. "I was affiliated with them, yes, but I wasn't training with them everyday like I was with NorCal Fighting Alliance." 

The lightweight standout also speculated that the controversy created by the Diaz brothers was probably more hype that hurt feelings. 

"I don't have any animosity toward them," Griffin said. "That's all them, and they're probably just trying to promote and get a fight going."

Griffin also explained that he was more interested in moving closer to the UFC lightweight title than settling grudges. That's why he's largely ignored talk of a possible grudge match with Nate Diaz.

"I don't really see a reason to fight him," Griffin said. "Just talking crap is not a reason for me to fight somebody. [Maybe] if his career grows ... but If he isn't (ranked) above me, I don't see a reason to fight him. I want to keep moving myself up in the rankings and keep improving my stock as a fighter."

10/12/09 5:08 PM
spongyfeet

not sure why, but i'm just never excited to watch Neer fight. i've never heard myself say "man, i can't wait for that fight with Neer.". it's like Cote...he's not a bad fighter, he just doesn't excite me...
10/12/09 5:11 PM
Old Feller
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

spongyfeet - not sure why, but i'm just never excited to watch Neer fight. i've never heard myself say "man, i can't wait for that fight with Neer.". it's like Cote...he's not a bad fighter, he just doesn't excite me...

10/12/09 5:14 PM
Slowshot
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Josh Neer is boring.
10/12/09 5:32 PM
Haywood Jablowme
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is Neer the one with the tramp stamp? or is Burkman?  Or do they both have one?
10/12/09 5:35 PM
warfrog

i love watchin josh fight, he is a fighters fighter.
10/12/09 5:35 PM
Reggie Warren Jr
161 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Neer vs Diaz is one of my favorite fights of all time.
10/12/09 5:52 PM
LayzieTheSavage

^ Both of them. 
10/12/09 6:22 PM
Reggie Warren Jr

Not boring.
10/12/09 8:59 PM
Oddessa
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I enoy watching Neer fight. Always gives an honest fight.
10/12/09 9:09 PM
Mike Russell
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LayzieTheSavage -  UFC 104 - Josh Neer: “That’s one thing I’ve never been called, is boring”

Mainstay on the Ultimate Fight Night events, Josh “The Dentist” Neer stepped up to the big stage at UFC 101, only to lose a decision to Kurt Pellegrino. Now Neer returns to action at UFC 104 when he takes on Gleison Tibau, and is going to approach the fight the same way he always does.

In a recent interview on UFC.com, Neer talks about his fighting philosophy and who he’d like to fight in the future.

“That’s one thing I’ve never been called, is boring. A lot of people go in to win by decision. I’ve never been that kind of fighter, which is why people like to see me fight. Even before the UFC started handing out bonuses, I was always looking to finish the fight by knockout or submission.”

“If you’re just going to go in and hold your opponent down to win a fight, no one is going to want to see you fight. People pay good money to watch you fight; the least you can do is put on a good show for them and bang it out. A lot of guys don’t want to do that; they just want to take the easy way out.”

“I’d love to fight Tyson Griffin or Sam Stout. Both of them would make for exciting fights. They’re both similar to my style of fighting in that they both go all out for the whole fight and try to finish the fight. People always talk about Tyson being boring or always winning by decision but I don’t see him going out and laying on people to win a decision. He goes out and tries to finish his opponents. I think his fights are exciting. I’d love to fight either of those guys.”

Neer is set to take on Tibau at UFC 104: Machida vs. Shogun on October 24th in Los Angeles. As well as Neer coming off a loss at UFC 101, Tibau is also coming off a loss to Melvin Guillard at the finale show of the ninth season of The Ultimate Fighter.

http://mmabay.co.uk/Story%2003026.html

Original source ;)

Oct-11-2009

Ne'er a Dull Moment for 'The Dentist'

By Mike Russell

Call Josh Neer whatever you want, he’s heard it all before – just don’t call him a boring fighter – that, the eight-year mixed martial arts veteran

says, would be crossing the line.

“That’s one thing I’ve never been called, is boring. A lot of people go in to win by decision. I’ve never been that kind of fighter, which is why people like to see me fight. Even before the UFC started handing out bonuses, I was always looking to finish the fight by knockout or submission,” Neer says. “If you’re just going to go in and hold your opponent down to win a fight, no one is going to want to see you fight. People pay good money to watch you fight; the least you can do is put on a good show for them and bang it out. A lot of guys don’t want to do that; they just want to take the easy way out.”

The path of Neer’s career, much like his life outside of the cage has been a precarious one the past few years, but the twisting and turning road he forged, although rocky at times, has righted itself and is now on a level straight and narrow.

Last month he pled guilty to DUI and felony eluding police charges stemming from a much-publicized New Year’s Eve arrest. The 26-year-old dodged a bullet when a seven-year prison sentence handed down by the judge in the case was later withdrawn. Instead of prison time, Neer was put on two-year probation – a second chance not unlike the one he was given in 2008 when he re-signed with the UFC after being given his walking papers by the organization in 2006 due to his less-than-stellar 2-3 Octagon record.

As he did with his recent UFC return, Neer affirms that he will make the best of the leg up given to him by the courts.

“I put the incident behind me and now I’m concentrating on my career. I want to go out and put on good performances and win fights,” says Neer. “If I can keep doing that, opportunities will come.”

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=23007

10/12/09 9:11 PM
Marion Cobretti
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One of my favorite fighters to watch... I trained with Din back in the day, and hes an absolute stud.. Josh won that fight fair and square.. I really thought going into the fight Din was technically superior but josh took it to him... Natural born fighter.. fan for life..

And the tool who posted his record.. A couple traffic violations and some drinking issues.. the guy is 25.. Have you never drank, or got into a car after having a few beers, or made a traffic violation that you didnt get caught for? Most people on this board have just never been caught drinking and driving, or getting into a fight, or having some moving violations.. Your a clown.. I picture you as the kid at the end of the movie jay and silent bob strikes back..
10/12/09 9:12 PM
Mike Russell
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HendosToyinExplodingBoy - 

I see Meltzer didn't quote his source either...

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20091001/NEWS/91001022/-1/BUSINESS04

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.