UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> Knife attack myths

10/13/09 7:51 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
martinburke
219 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thought this would be the right place to post this. Couldn't say one way or another if he's right, but he does make a good point about this being a daily part of life 600 years ago, and the manuals seem to agree (for the most part) on how to deal with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNOP3X9OyzM
10/14/09 5:10 PM
Guerrero
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree with that vid.

The three knife defense systems that I think are practical (S.T.A.B.,Red Zone, Marc Denny,) all employ that double wrist grab as well as a modified wrestler's two-on-one.

I think all that tappity-tappity, hubud stuff is bullshit.
10/18/09 4:43 AM
phauna
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great video.
10/18/09 2:39 PM
WidespreadPanic

What some trainees misunderstand about weapons training is you can train to fight -using- a knife, but unless you spend an inordinate amount of time, you are not going to fare well fighting -against- a knife. As Guerrero says above only a few people are doing it right.

There are also specific things you should train with regard to bladed weapons. Train deployment, i.e. getting to your knife in a variety of positions. Try a variety of sheath positions, belt, neck, ankle, back of the belt, arm sheath. Have the opponent pin you and see what it takes to get the knife out before being submitted or choked. You'll soon realize the advantage of having more than one carry. Often the leg/ankle sheath is one of the bests, since even when mounted and pinned you can usually get to your knife.

You can also train 'anti-deployment', i.e. preventing the opponent from getting to his knife, though it's quite difficult to accomplish, you can train it using practice knives during grappling and wall-grappling.

IMO, spending much time trying to learn disarms and doing energy drills is not very productive, but many styles spend almost all their time doing these drills and virtually no time training aspects where you can make improvements.

These are all things which take advantage of 'alive' training, working up to 100% (being mostly grappling-based drills). In some/many 'knife encounters' there will come a time where you suddenly find you are in a grappling position - know what to do if you find yourself in such a situation. If your knife drills are not alive, meaning resistance, flow, timing and movement/footwork, then modify them or throw them out.

10/23/09 8:59 AM
phauna

I'm going to train some red zone in the park tomorrow.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.