UnderGround Forums

TattooGround >> Tattoo etiquette

10/14/09 12:00 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
NeoSpartan
491 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hi guys, I apologize for the n00b question. But is it ok to ask one artist to design something (guy isn't a tattoo artist persay) and have someone else actually ink it? Is that a bad idea in general? I'm looking around for someone to do it, but the only person that I find I like EVERYTHING they design happens to live in australia so I doubt I'll be making enough trips out there to get a sleeve done :-p
10/15/09 2:01 PM
NeoSpartan
491 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

17 views, no replies :-/

Hmmm ok I'll include some more info...

this is the concept:
http://www.spladdle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9776&highlight=tattoo

This is the artist I have in mind:
http://www.heavyrep.com/

Sarris, he's the guy that has the cool skateboard designs from BenBJJ's thread in the OG. I've emailed back and forth with him and we're discussing some ideas.

he is keen to work on it for sure but is booked out until december, price is charged about $80p.h but we will work to a fixed price so there's no rushing or blowing out on budget...
10/15/09 3:04 PM
tjhammerhead
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've drawn custom work for another artist to use. I charged for it.
11/3/09 3:41 PM
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you explain everything like you did in your post, I don't see a problem. Someone who would give you a hard time for that, you probably wouldn't want inking you in my opinion.
12/4/09 2:48 AM
PembrokePinesVillain
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

most tattoo artist dont like to Tattoo certain artwork on people because not all artwork looks good as a tattoo....

if you have someone draw up, lets say a dragon, it wont (most likely) be a dragon commonly seen in tattooing, ie not japanese or oldschool or common

also the human body is not flat, so to make tattoos appealing they need to be placed properly.
this is why most tattoo artist dont just copy and paste a picture. they re draw it to suit the space.

This has hindered me from getting my own flashwork tattooed on me because i dont want my artist to redraw my flash, but i also know in my heart that my flash isnt good enough to stick it on straight away.
so i basically just keep drawing and hopefully one day ill get my own flash on me

back to the question, ask the artist, if its important to you you keep it how it is, hell probably do it
2/18/10 12:52 PM
KingBodhi
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I guess it depends on how someone feels about their work and how it's used. I'm an artist that's designed tattoos, but I don't tattoo. For me I charge for the artwork, but other artists have a different view of how their work is used.
9/2/10 3:11 AM
kristaNY

most tattoo artists will not let you leave with their sketch. If they draw it, they tattoo it.
1/16/11 5:27 AM
sodakfighter

In the shop my mom works in, you have to schedule an appointment before anything will be drawn. The shop is booked out over 3 months so the client can stop in and check out the sketch so if changes are needed, thet will be done.

The cost of art is the same ifthe person wants to carry it out and have someone else do it. In other words, if the tattoo were to cost you $250 to have it done, you would pay $250 to have the drawing.
1/24/11 2:40 AM
pencilboy25
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

many artists have had people walk with drawings, and turn them into other products=t-shirts, prints, posters, etc.....

so for the artist, it is tricky. especially when they are not compensated for those extra products.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.