UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Anyone here gone back to University at 30?

10/14/09 3:59 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
LoiseauElbow
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm seriously considering going back to University next year. I have a good job as a Design Engineer but I've grown to hate it. I need to change into an industry I'm interested in. I have 2 choices;

If I go to University I'll do a Physiotherapy degree. Its 4 years at 30 years of age though, its a big step.

I could take an intensive 6 month NCTJ Sports Journalist course. This would be a way harder industry to break into though.

Has anyone gone back at around 30?
10/14/09 4:02 AM
Sandy Pantz
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Going back at around 30 or later is really common now. Is the Physiotherapy degree really 4 years without having to take electives and stuff?
10/14/09 4:05 AM
LoiseauElbow

As I did Electrical Engineering first time, this isn't considered suitable to start a Physiotherapy degree. I have to do 1 year study to take a biology based access course.
10/14/09 4:33 AM
shen
818 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/14/09 4:33 AM
If you plan on being alive when you are 34 --which I assume you do-- then you can either be a 34 year old without a degree or a 34 year old with a degree. Because that time will FLY by and you will be 34 in no time.

If you can swing it, go to school.

I returned to school last year after deciding I was too old 10+ years ago. People switch careers and go back to school all the time now. I'm older than you and there are people older than me in almost all my classes.

Good luck.
10/14/09 4:40 AM
MolsonMuscles
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I went back at 28 for another degree and fast-tracked so that I could be done by my 30th birthday (for some reason, I didn't want to be a student in my 30s) and it was the best thing I've ever done.

I'm 34 now, life is great and my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.

Also, the median age in many university classrooms is mid-to late-20s. 30 is NOT old by any atretch.
10/14/09 4:42 AM
MolsonMuscles
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/14/09 4:42 AM
Do it.
10/14/09 4:43 AM
LoiseauElbow

shen - If you plan on being alive when you are 34 --which I assume you do-- then you can either be a 34 year old without a degree or a 34 year old with a degree.

Thats the best FOR argument I've heard. Thanks a lot Shen. What are you studying?

I'll have engineering and physiotherapy qualifications so I will need a volunteer for a project to build a Human/Robot megabot. Now where's AlexWysocki..............
10/14/09 4:44 AM
MolsonMuscles

If you plan on being alive when you are 34 --which I assume you do-- then you can either be a 34 year old without a degree or a 34 year old with a degree. Because that time will FLY by and you will be 34 in no time.

That's me to a T.

Great post.
10/14/09 4:46 AM
PR
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am considering going back at 33. I have two semesters to complete my degree. I sort of actually figured out what I want to do with my life. :)
10/14/09 4:54 AM
LoiseauElbow

Same here PR.

I always enjoyed drawing and my Dad has a successful business so I studied engineering with the long term view of taking over I guess. I've decided though that its not for me. I've enjoyed my years designing machines but I cant do it any longer, I cant spend my life obssessed with printing machinery. I also want my dad to sell up and enjoy his money and not worry about what I'm doing.

I wanna make my own way in something I'm really interested in from here.
10/14/09 4:56 AM
LoiseauElbow

Plus, think of the 18 year old rotties who I imagine will be doing Physio.
10/14/09 5:23 AM
BarkLikeADog

I went back at exactly 30. It was the best decision I ever made. I came out qualified to do shit I want & I'm in a much better place now in a shit economy than I was in a great one. I also marvelled daily at hotties & took one with me.

I don't know that I'd advise wasting money on an equivalent degree in this economy, however. (Sounds like you already have a degree in a field you don't like?) if so, go for an advanced degree instead.
10/14/09 7:30 AM
Dysqo

Do it.

My wife is plenty smart, but due to financial reasons 'dropped out' of MIT with about a year left. It was a huge pain in the ass, and cost about $20k, but she took classes 'part time' and graduated in June. She is 32, one of the main factors was when she didnt even get an interview when she applied for a job (and was informed the reason was the lack of a degree).
10/14/09 7:37 AM
Pustak
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm looking to start a doctoral program next year. I'll be 29.

I'm DYING to get back into school.
10/14/09 7:42 AM
LoiseauElbow

All good stuff. It's gonna be 4 years full time or 6 years part time lol. I'd do the 4 year full time.
10/14/09 7:59 AM
johnnypayne
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just gone back at 28, the only strange thing is being surrounded by people who know NOTHING about the real world
10/14/09 8:15 AM
LoiseauElbow

I'm impressed by the OG.

What are you studying johnnypayne?
10/14/09 8:18 AM
redneckgrappler
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What the fuck for? I'm 35 and own 6 rent houses a dirt work company and hold a full time job. I'm working my ass off while some of you are just dreaming about it.
10/14/09 8:19 AM
El Maquina

I'm thinking about going back myself. I have a bachelors and was thinking about getting an associates in the medical field. Would love to get an advanced degree but I'm afraid I'm end up still not being able to get a job.
10/14/09 8:23 AM
Sebastiaan

Started with my PhD when I was 32. Good luck man, go for it.
10/14/09 8:38 AM
frankenchrist
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

im 29 and in my first semester of what will be an 8 year program.  and its seriously a lot of fun.  you should do it.
10/14/09 8:39 AM
angryinch

I went back much later than that.  And it's unlikely that it will happen but I've recently been thinking about going back again and changing careers.  
10/14/09 8:39 AM
Hemlock
154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shen - If you plan on being alive when you are 34 --which I assume you do-- then you can either be a 34 year old without a degree or a 34 year old with a degree. Because that time will FLY by and you will be 34 in no time.

If you can swing it, go to school.

I returned to school last year after deciding I was too old 10+ years ago. People switch careers and go back to school all the time now. I'm older than you and there are people older than me in almost all my classes.

Good luck.

Shen is filled with truth fren
10/14/09 8:40 AM
miamiraider

I'm 31, I'll be graduating in May with my degree and required credits to be a CPA.

It's really hard working full time and going to school full time. I've given up most of my personal life, but I feel feel it's worth it.

Good luck
10/14/09 8:46 AM
Ozzimandias
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

redneckgrappler - What the fuck for? I'm 35 and own 6 rent houses a dirt work company and hold a full time job. I'm working my ass off while some of you are just dreaming about it.

good for you jerkoff.  way to be negative!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.