UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Anyone here gone back to University at 30?

10/14/09 8:49 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ninja mon
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm 30 and I also plan on going back to school asap! I started off in 1997 and finished 3 years. Took a long break and was never able to go back. I feel like such a failure! I figured I would go finish it soon instead of saying ten years from now that I should of finished! Plus plenty of hot snatch everywhere haha!
10/14/09 10:15 AM
spg
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd recommend going back in time and going for the degree you want the first time around.  That's what I did and it's worked out really well.
10/14/09 10:19 AM
LoiseauElbow

Good idea spg, You think I can use my engineering to design a flux capacitor?
10/14/09 10:24 AM
Lymond
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Go for it. I went to Law School at 30 after realizing I hated the different jobs I'd tried. Lots of younger people there but a few older as well.
10/14/09 10:39 AM
El Maquina

spg - I'd recommend going back in time and going for the degree you want the first time around.  That's what I did and it's worked out really well.

I'd give just about anything to do this.
10/14/09 10:41 AM
Stronghold
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I finished up my last schooling at age 28. It is not the same as being 18. No more all night study sessions, no more drinking on weekends. But I was much more focused and did much better.
10/14/09 10:43 AM
The Cimmerian

I got my degress from UCLA at 37 and was working 32 hours a week at Starbucks while I was there...it was kinda tough, but nice.
10/14/09 10:57 AM
Pig Bun
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm in my first semester back in school. I was making $75-80k (USD) for the last several years, and burned out. Ready to do something different, and the opportunity presented itself. I have enough hours to be considered a senior, but it is going to take 60 hours to get what I want.

I'm 43.
10/14/09 11:53 AM
HELWIG

"I went back much later than that.  And it's unlikely that it will happen but I've recently been thinking about going back again and changing careers. "

What are you consideirng switching to?

10/14/09 11:59 AM
GaymidaGaydan
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have always wanted to go back to culinary school, but then i think like what if i hate my new career worse then the first one?
10/14/09 12:05 PM
cujobrown

Over 30.  Went back.  Found that it was harder for me to get motivated, but I was a lot calmer.  And a lot less drunk.
10/14/09 12:36 PM
Dan O'Connell
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
10/14/09 1:09 PM
Dogfight
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At 29 I decided to go back and do my doctorate. Ten years later I can say it was one of the better choices in my life.

and being in school with a little bit more maturity makes everything better than the first time around. really. EVERYTHING.
10/14/09 4:08 PM
TheKidAintMine
156 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
10/14/09 4:30 PM
kcbjj
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I went back at 32 to get a PhD in Industrial/Organizational Psychology - best decision I ever made.
10/14/09 4:56 PM
Thomas Hamilton
291 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did any of you guys have kids when you went back?
10/14/09 5:02 PM
LordSeano
215 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Whats your personal situation if you dont mind me asking? Wife, kids etc.

If you have no personal commitments as such then its a no brainer - even with Shen's post still stands though you obviously need to think about how it will impact them.

BUt seriously - the average age on a physiotherapy course is going to be way older than most courses anyway.

Plus if you are 30 years old and not a horrendous physical monster you will be able to plow through the 18 year olds like nobody's business
10/14/09 5:29 PM
Diaz 3:16
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

what if you have ~10k in student loans between sallie mae and Direct Loans still outstanding?

How would you fund it?
10/14/09 5:42 PM
Mezla
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I went back at 25 and it was fine. I remember my first semester back, I was walking out of the library at around noon. It was a beautiful day out and I walked over to a bench and laid down. I remember looking up at all the trees and feeling that cool breeze, and thinking "It's noon and I have absolutely jack shit to do. This is great!"
10/14/09 5:43 PM
Ridgeback
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Its no big deal.  The key is to not act like a standout with the younger students and they won't even notice.  It is the older women who can't be normal around all the young hotties in the room so the always cause shit.
10/14/09 6:25 PM
Pig Bun
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thomas Hamilton -  Did any of you guys have kids when you went back?

14 year old son and 15 y.o. daughter. I should have my degree and working again before they start college.

My wife has a pretty killer job with NASA, gives us options most people just don't have.
10/14/09 7:11 PM
LeroyJ

I went back at 25 and couldn't believe how much easier school was. At 18, I fought everything tooth & nail, and had the attention span of a gnat. Too many girls around at that time for me to think about school.

At 30, you'll still be surrounded by chicks, but the classes will be way easier & you'll probably have more fun doing things your own way.

Go for it.
10/14/09 7:24 PM
cycklops
296 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was 32 when I got my degree.
10/14/09 7:42 PM
shen
829 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LoiseauElbow - 
shen - If you plan on being alive when you are 34 --which I assume you do-- then you can either be a 34 year old without a degree or a 34 year old with a degree.

Thats the best FOR argument I've heard. Thanks a lot Shen. What are you studying?

I'll have engineering and physiotherapy qualifications so I will need a volunteer for a project to build a Human/Robot megabot. Now where's AlexWysocki..............

I'm taking classes trying to get into grad school for Physical Therapy, --not too dissimilar from you!
10/14/09 8:44 PM
BzGrappla

The Cimmerian - I got my degress from UCLA at 37 and was working 32 hours a week at Starbucks while I was there...it was kinda tough, but nice.

when u appied to ucla.. did you have to take sat's again? what records did u give... just curious

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.