UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Anyone here gone back to University at 30?

10/14/09 11:30 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Reenz
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i'm 37 and thinking about going back for my mba.. no shame at all. they like the maturity
10/15/09 1:27 AM
The Cimmerian

BZGRappla: I did a year and a half of community college, and made sure they knew about my 8 years of USMC to get in on a diversity angle. lol, my SAT was from 1984, and I don't think it was considered. =)
10/15/09 1:46 AM
ClayK

I just started school @ 28. I attempted to do so when I was 18, but realized a few weeks in that I was wasting money and I wouldn't focus or graduate. I did the military thing for 8 years. Now I've got the GI Bill paying my tuition and a monthly housing allowance. Studying mostly biology and earth sciences right now with some business sprinkled in.
10/15/09 3:48 AM
LoiseauElbow

shen, your doing exactly the same as me! lol. Tthe first year will be biology and anatomy based courses to enable me to start the Physio.

I've no kids and am single. One of the benefits of living my life the way I have is that I'll be able to go to University and not have to work part time. I did my first set of qualifications whilst working so I didnt need to take out a single loan.

Although I'll be 30 I actually look about 23 and am a blue belt and an OGer so Uni should be a win on the hottie front lol.
10/15/09 3:59 AM
madmav
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol...  just fucking lol. *raises hand as college drop out*
thank god for those on-line courses -- i might just get my AA after trying for the last ten years..
10/15/09 4:57 AM
PR
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just filled out my re-admission form today!
10/15/09 6:07 AM
grapplingwithzen

Funny this thread should come up, since I'm thinking of going back to university myself. I already have a degree in mathematics and computer science. Most of my career I've done IT work or generic business work, apart from working as an english teacher in Japan for two years. After a while you just get really tired of doing the same crappy reports each month, or doing maintenance on the same kind of poorly written IT systems.

The strange thing is I was thinking of going back to college to study electrical engineering and trying to become a design engineer. What is it about the job that you didn't like? Also are there any good practical books on electrical engineering that you can recommend? I wouldn't mind doing some background reading to get an idea of what the work involves.

One thing with the way society is structured is that the educational requirements for many occupations are a bit over the top. I think in practice if you are already well educated the knowledge needed for most occupations can probably be compressed into a lot shorter course up front, supplemented with continuing education.

If I don't study electrical engineering I was looking at doing some sort of civil engineering. I get sick of being stuck in an office and it would be good to get out in the field. I thinking about something like Geotechnical engineering.

However amongst all this optimism I would sound a note of caution about a) the financial implications b) when you finish the course you will be competing for entry level positions.

Also last year I did a couple of college courses part-time just to see how they would go. Being older, some things about the college experience started to annoy me. Examples are a) Some Young students were disruptive b) Professors who were disorganized, late, or talked down to students. c) Tedious essays and assignments. d) Group assignments (where the other members of the group didn't pull their weight).

Working in the corporate world you generally expect other people to be reasonably professional and things to happen in a reasonably organized manner. This is not always the case in the college environment and can be unexpectedly annoying.
10/15/09 8:35 AM
hubris
182 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shen - If you plan on being alive when you are 34 --which I assume you do-- then you can either be a 34 year old without a degree or a 34 year old with a degree. Because that time will FLY by and you will be 34 in no time.

If you can swing it, go to school.

I returned to school last year after deciding I was too old 10+ years ago. People switch careers and go back to school all the time now. I'm older than you and there are people older than me in almost all my classes.

Good luck.

lol
10/15/09 8:42 AM
hubris
182 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You guys going back to get your masters or phd is a lot different than this guy going back to get another bachelors in a separate field.

Not that there's anything wrong with that but just different. He's looking for a career change.
10/15/09 8:43 AM
LoiseauElbow

grapplingwithzen

I'm just tired of looking at a computer screen everyday. I draw similar items every week and new projects are variations on themes. Although I studied Electrical Engineering, I'm actually a Mechanical Designer. Drawing things and building models in 3D CAD is pretty cool for the first year but after that, it becomes tedious. I genuinely believe that its way slower and more labour intensive than using a sheet of paper and a pencil.

I didn't say this and I would have no clue where to do it, but try downloading a high end 3D CAD package like 3D Studio Max or one of the later Inventor series and play with it. See what you think.

If I had the choice again, I'd take the civil engineering route.

One of the reasons I'd take Physio is that it would allow a pretty good opportunity to set up by myself or work abroad permanently.
10/15/09 8:57 AM
Lofland
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This thread desperately needs stories about dating the college women when you go back to school.
10/15/09 8:58 AM
hubris

I would think any engineering profession would involve computers.

Physio would be different ofcourse
10/15/09 9:38 AM
BarkLikeADog
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/15/09 9:40 AM
"I would sound a note of caution...when you finish the course you will be competing for entry level positions."

Agreed & it's a critical consideration that you figure out how to combine both your new education & your prior work history to fill a higher-paying niche. Otherwise you will be beating your head against a wall looking for entry level work & getting passed over because you're perceived as too old &/or too expensive. I worked in entertainment/clubs all my life before going back & getting a heavy technical background; now I'm building venues instead of working for tips in them. If I hadn't pulled from my prior experience & connections, I'd STILL be looking for a gig 5 years later. I mean, I wasn't even getting called for the interview without deliberately distorting the truth.

Going back for a lesser/equivalent degree is usually a lose/lose scenario unless you're 100% sure you'll eat a bullet otherwise.
10/15/09 9:51 AM
BarkLikeADog
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"This thread desperately needs stories about dating the college women when you go back to school. "

I think I already said it was awesome, but whatever. Smart young women are tired of boys by college age & are super aggressive in pursuing older in shape men. Especially the freshly turned ugly ducklings.
10/15/09 10:02 AM
Sir Lawrence

This thread is getting me motivated I'm 34 and I have been thinking of going back too. My thing was I just entered the workforce and I just did not want to give up the money and thought this is all i need anyway boy was i wrong.

Now what should i study is the question.
10/15/09 10:04 AM
LoiseauElbow

The question of being employable as a new graduate at 34 has got me worrying but I keep thinking of the "you can be 34 with a Physiotherapy degree or 34 without one" angle.
10/15/09 10:29 AM
LordSeano

The average age on a physio course is way older than the average course though.

You are in the UK right Loiseau?

My wife looked in to doing physio and there are a LOT of mature students
10/15/09 10:33 AM
El Maquina

Edited: 10/15/09 11:47 AM
shitty edit function
10/15/09 10:33 AM
alpo
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am 32 and already have a degree, but I am considering going back for the career change. 
10/15/09 10:42 AM
LoiseauElbow

Certainly am LordSeano.

I just emailed the course leaders at 2 Universities and 1 just replied confirming that mature Physio graduates have very high employment rates. Ideally, after a years experience, I would move abroad.
10/15/09 10:47 AM
angryinch

what type of salary can someone expect as a new physio grad?
10/15/09 11:04 AM
LoiseauElbow

angryinch -  what type of salary can someone expect as a new physio grad?

$45-50,000 by the look of it.
10/15/09 11:48 AM
El Maquina

BarkLikeADog - "I would sound a note of caution...when you finish the course you will be competing for entry level positions."

Agreed & it's a critical consideration that you figure out how to combine both your new education & your prior work history to fill a higher-paying niche. Otherwise you will be beating your head against a wall looking for entry level work & getting passed over because you're perceived as too old &/or too expensive. I worked in entertainment/clubs all my life before going back & getting a heavy technical background; now I'm building venues instead of working for tips in them. If I hadn't pulled from my prior experience & connections, I'd STILL be looking for a gig 5 years later. I mean, I wasn't even getting called for the interview without deliberately distorting the truth.

Going back for a lesser/equivalent degree is usually a lose/lose scenario unless you're 100% sure you'll eat a bullet otherwise.

I'd like to go for an advanced degree but it would have to be for an MBA. I'm afraid I'd still be in the position of not being able to find a job once I got out.
10/15/09 4:17 PM
cujobrown

Thomas Hamilton -  Did any of you guys have kids when you went back?

I think i had a few.
10/15/09 5:45 PM
Thomas Hamilton
267 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol

fucking cujo.

congrats on the blue btw.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.