UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Anyone here gone back to University at 30?

4/21/10 2:00 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Retard
732 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NDFS
12/4/10 10:41 PM
Takedown
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great thread...it's encouraging to see peers posting on here. Non-traditional students have fast become commonplace. I'm 36, go to school, work full time, am married and have a bun in the oven. In several classes, I've had fellow history students in their 50s and 60, so it's definitely not out of the question to return to school later in life. Add to all of that my 3 nights of BJJ training per week and you've got one worn out dude.

I will graduate with a History degree in spring, with the original intent to teach high school and coach soccer and track. Unfortunately, social studies and coaching positions are filled to capacity throughout Cali., teachers are continually getting pink slipped, and the economy is obviously in shambles. That being said, my desire to teach is pretty much circling the drain, but at this point, it makes no sense to switch majors since I'm so close to graduating. I want to take a hiatus with the baby on the way, and eventually go back for either another undergrad, possibly in Kinesiology, or knock out the Master's in History.

Fortunately, I have my paralegal certification and an associate's degree, both of which helped me secure a good job to pays the bills and support the family in the meantime. Unfortunately, I'm extremely bored with law as I've been in the field for 15 years. I took the LSAT awhile ago, but due to burn out, law school and lawyering are out of the question for me.
12/28/10 9:03 PM
tonypop
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Both my wife and I are going to college in our 30's. We're both going to be nurses. I've spent the last two years taking my core classes and will start nursing school next August. Prior to me starting two years ago I had never set foot in a college classroom. My wife had taken some college classes previously so she was able to start nursing school earlier and will graduate with her associates degree in May.

We both work and have 3 kids so we're busy as shit pretty much all day every day but I love it, not just because of the opportunities we'll have as nurses but for the education also. It feels nice to learn. I'm glad I waited so long to go to college because now I'm a motivated son of a bitch. I know I'm not the smartest person in my classes but I outwork most of my classmates which leads me to having some of the best grades in all of the classes I've taken.
12/28/10 11:21 PM
NCAA92
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just graduated with my Ed.S in Curriclum and Instruction two weeks ago at age 41. I am now the smartest person in my family (at least on paper)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.