UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Aussie rag slams MMA invasion; Elvis Sinosic slams

10/14/09 2:59 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1075 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

Our friends over at Watch Kalib Run have posted an interesting article that details the pending mixed martial arts invasion in Australia and the local media’s not-so-enthusiastic reception of it.

The Sydney Morning Herald ran the usual MMA hatchet job when covering the UFC venture into the land down under, peppering the article with all the tried-and-true anti-fight buzzwords like “human cockfighting” and “brutal,” to name a few.

Our staunch allies at WKR, Zak Woods and E. Spencer Kyte, took their case to Australia’s own Elvis Sinosic — and “The King of Rock and Rumble” wasn’t exactly pleased with the depiction of the sport he’s been calling home for over 12 years.

His scathing reply, after the jump.

My name is Elvis Sinosic. I am Australia’s most well know Mixed Martial Artist (you would no doubt label me a cage fighter). I have been fighting in the sport of MMA since 1997. I read your recent article “Cage Rage coming here” and it read more like a fairy tale than a factual newspaper article. It starts with conjecture stating an opinion that is inaccurate and of someone so irrelevant that it is not sourced at all. First of all the sport is not and has not been referred to as human cockfighting for many years and then only by those who were uneducated to what MMA was. The sport does not promote any sort of “street fighting” as your article claims. If anything it says fighting is for the cage not for the streets.

He even refers to a move called “Pound and Ground”. He hasn’t even bothered to check his facts. When you read things like this you realize that the writer has not taken any effort to check his facts and information. The move is called “Ground and Pound”. It then mentions the absence of a blood rule. Where does he get his facts from? Friday night late night movies? The sport has doctors ringside. The sport allows the referee to stop the match to check for cuts and injuries. Making false claims only makes your paper look like a story book not a newspaper. It even mentions that you cannot throw in the towel. It does not bother to mention that nothing can be thrown into the octagon. It doesn’t then state that the corner can stop the fight by signaling the referee. They just cannot stop the fight by throwing in the towel, it must be done verbally. It then goes on to state that the sport of cage fighting started in 2007. Once again does the writer even bother to check his facts or was that just the first time he saw the sport advertised in his local TV guide? The sport of MMA has been in Australia since March 22nd 1997. The sport has been going on, and safely at that, for over 12years. The false and inaccurate claims and facts just reeks of unprofessionalism.

Then the writer degenerates even further attempting to compare it to fighting animals. Where does he come off? Fighting animals is illegal and unethical. I’m a fighter and was also at one time a volunteer for Sydney wildlife and I find the comparison disgusting. The animals are mistreated and have no choice in the matter. Fighters on the other do have a choice. They choose to fight. They are treated very well by the promoters who look after them and lets not forget that they are also paid for their efforts. Not only that but the sponsors look after their fighters well. When have you ever seen a sponsor at an animal fighting event? Then you have the fans who do look up the fighters. And if you think they are all thugs you are greatly mistaken. Watch the end of a match. You will see two great competitors who, regardless of the result, will congratulate each other in a mutual show of respect, something that is not seen in many less “barbaric” sports. The writers comparison’s are appalling.

Read full article…

10/14/09 3:01 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
FranklinFailedMe
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RAPEZ!
10/14/09 3:01 PM
Veegoh
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nicely done Elvis
10/14/09 3:05 PM
elravager

Yes! Glad there are intelligent fighters like Elvis representing the sport.
10/14/09 3:06 PM
effinggoof
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There is a website called Watch Kalib Run?
10/14/09 3:10 PM
Ramon Maroni

TTT for Elvis
10/14/09 3:17 PM
RickStorm
1633 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Elvis posted he was going to respond to that article... Wow! great response Elvis

TTT 4 Elvis on the UFC card

10/14/09 3:18 PM
ECWCock

Ramon Maroni - TTT for Elvis

10/14/09 3:25 PM
PatrickFreitas
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

great job by Elvis.

this is exactly what the sport went through in the US...and in some parts of the country still goes through.

like in the US, the tale will wag the dog in Aussieland. the fans will FORCE the media to like their sport. and Australian sports fans are custom-made to enjoy a sport like MMA. prob even more so than US fans.
10/14/09 3:26 PM
absoluteidiot
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is just the tip of the iceberg i imagine.... just wait for many more articles like this when UFC makes it's Aussie debut.
We'll have Karl Stefonovic asking why Australia have let an  'Axe Murderer'  into the country.
Tracy Grimshaw asking why these deathmatches are in an Octogon & not a triangle or pentagon.
Don Burke asking Randy Corture how the fekk he grew Cauliflowers out of his head.
& Darryl Sommers telling Anderson Silva he can be a guest judge on 'Red faces' as long as he washes that Boot polish off. 
10/14/09 3:28 PM
dentalninja
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good job by Elvis.
10/14/09 4:03 PM
JT42382
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt for elvis
10/14/09 4:13 PM
TheClips

I wonder how that paper and write felt after getting their intellectual-asses handed to them by a "thuggish and brutal cage murderer" like Elvis....

LOL!
10/14/09 4:14 PM
paw
1362 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nice job Elvis!
10/14/09 4:17 PM
Elias Cepeda
143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good job Elvis.
Maybe the critics on Prison Island shouldn't act so holier than though

10/14/09 4:18 PM
ATLien420
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

get em Elvis
10/14/09 4:19 PM
ECWCock

I have competed in MMA across the glove in countries such as the US, Canada, Japan, England and Sweden.

Must be an Australian thing I wouldn't understand.
10/14/09 4:20 PM
damaebushi
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Outstanding job by Elvis, a great ambassador for and representative of the sport.  Hopefully, with people like him spearheading the movement, some more fair and factual reporting will eventually take hold like it did in the U.S.  I hope it doesn't take as long down under as it did here for people to at least begin to realize what the sport and the fighters are truly all about.

Respectfully:

Fred
10/14/09 4:24 PM
greco yeoman

ttt for pound and ground
10/14/09 4:25 PM
Meohfumado
288 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seriously Australian politics seems like a very weird place to me....what with the R-rated video games fiascoes and now this MMA hyperbole...do logic and reason even apply down under?
10/14/09 4:39 PM
psujunglist
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Right on Elvis!
10/14/09 4:40 PM
likatiga
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I personally think a video reply would have been better.

Something involving Elvis ripping the heads off small, cute animals with his teeth.

More of an appropriate response to an article that was clearly written by a monkey. Did the article start with: "It was the best of times, it was the blerst of times"?
10/14/09 4:42 PM
wandyfan86

get em elvis
10/14/09 4:44 PM
crunk404
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shitty article, awesome response.
10/14/09 5:03 PM
Luigipe

Great article Elvis good King¡

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.