UnderGround Forums

Wrestling UnderGround >> Different Kinds of Sprawls

10/18/09 7:57 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
GladiatorGannon
277 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was originally taught a flat sprawl where I just threw my legs back. Later I learned a "lead hip down" kind of sprawl. Are these different kinds of sprawls better for different kinds of attacks? Or is the lead hip sprawl just a more advanced/efficient sprawl.
10/19/09 4:01 AM
Bull_in_chinashop
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"the lead hip sprawl just a more advanced/efficient sprawl"

this.
10/21/09 2:51 PM
FranklinFailedMe
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have seen quite a few coaches call the "flat" sprawl a double leg sprawl, and the one hip down sprawl a single leg sprawl.

If you are nose to nose and you hip down sprawl a double, you are asking your opponent to cut the corner or switch to a tripod single. It's the only valid point I can think of for calling one a single leg sprawl and one a double leg sprawl.

The other difference is contextual, in that if you are at a higher level (standing) you can hip in and not have to visit the mat.

11/8/09 5:20 AM
parklife
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

for me.. it isn't just about throwing my legs back.. but also either coming down hard with my forearm across the back of their head or neck.. or using my hand to push their head down and away.

it helps me put some distance to push the guy away as well

I guess the one I use most is what they are calling the single leg sprawl.
11/8/09 12:00 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The sprawl is really the third line of defense vs. the takedown. The first and most important is level change. then comes the arms and finally the hips.  To be sucessful in the shot you've got to get past all 3.
11/11/09 12:21 AM
wrestlerguy04
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Depends what the shot is really. I have a lead right leg and he shoots a single with his head outside, I'm using a "flat sprawl", or else if I do a "lead hip down" sprawl I'll fall off of him, or give him a better angle to finish. However if he is shooting a head inside single then "lead hip down will put ALL of my pressure down on him in one spot, as opposed to a flat sprawl where it will be over his whole back. Does that make any sense?
11/11/09 12:23 AM
wrestlerguy04
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bull_in_chinashop -  The sprawl is really the third line of defense vs. the takedown. The first and most important is level change. then comes the arms and finally the hips.  To be sucessful in the shot you've got to get past all 3.

Correct! Sprawl is one of the last lines of defense from a shot. Should be IMO:
1. Hands (from a tie-up anyway)
2. Head
3. Chest
4. Hips
5: Sprawl
6. Funk, Scramble, etc..
11/23/09 9:39 AM
ocianain

This series of instructionals has a great section on sprawls. They advocate a "forearm shiver" (my terminology) to the attackers collar bone as you sprawl. Perfect set up for a chin pick into a neck crank.

http://www.russianwrestling.net/videos/volume1
11/25/09 11:41 AM
FranklinFailedMe

^One of the greatest series on wrestling PERIOD. Love that set.
11/26/09 6:00 AM
RUSRedDevil
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the term we always had for defending shots was
hands, head, hips, tricks (ie roll throughs, sweep style moves)I have seen guys who profess to get your legs far back (typical straight back sprawl), other guys turn the hip down to put pressure on the lock., still other guys who believe just drop the leg, almost like hitting a knee and crash your weight down to the mat, don't let him get your leg in the air and your fine sort of defense. Another interesting one I found that Kenny Monday, Dave Schultz, and alot of Russians seem to do, is treat your leg defense as an offense, they will hit you with their hips forward, sometimes setting up judo style whizzer throws or trips. just my two cents on sprawling
12/3/09 5:41 AM
WrestlingSucks
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hip down, always.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.