UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Jack Dempsey should have been an mma fighter..

[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
10/18/09 9:41 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
newbloodmma
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VawHgrLvbD4

Was anybody better at knocking their opponent down and then battering them as they tried to stand up?
10/18/09 11:10 PM
Lord Kancho
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dempsey wrote THE best book on punching. The man could cave in bones.
10/18/09 11:12 PM
MickColins
148 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

newbloodmma -  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VawHgrLvbD4

Was anybody better at knocking their opponent down and then battering them as they tried to stand up?
Wasn't against the rules at the time. 

10/18/09 11:23 PM
newbloodmma
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/18/09 11:24 PM
MickColins - 
newbloodmma -  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VawHgrLvbD4

Wasn't against the rules at the time. 

I like the way Dempsey hovered behind Willard and landed uppercuts. cracking shots 
10/18/09 11:41 PM
Yougottawanna
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lord Kancho - Dempsey wrote THE best book on punching. The man could cave in bones.

Dempsey's book is great. I especially like the way it opens:

"What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?

It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.

Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.

You may feel as helpless as a year-old infant-as far as fighting is concerned; but please remember: (1) YOU WEIGH MORE THAN A BABY,

and (2) YOU NEED NOT FALL FROM A WINDOW TO PUT YOUR BODY-WEIGHT INTO MOTION."

Genius. The book is seriously good though.
10/18/09 11:49 PM
williepep
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Always liked the fellow since I wrote a paper about him in 8th grade.

Is his boxing book really that good?

I have the book just never gone through it.
10/18/09 11:55 PM
Bill Pharoni
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

His biography by Roger Kahn is one of my favorite books.
10/19/09 12:00 AM
williepep
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bill Pharoni - His biography by Roger Kahn is one of my favorite books.

I need to figure out of that is the one I read in 8th grade, if so it was great.
10/19/09 12:04 AM
Lahi
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bill Pharoni - His biography by Roger Kahn is one of my favorite books.

Awesome book. It was cool how he talked about Dempsey being into wrestling and Judo too.
10/19/09 12:39 AM
mr nemo

The guy was a scrapper for sure, he would have excelled at mma imo.
10/19/09 12:58 AM
ThePeople
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wouldn't want to get hit by anybody who can knock out a horse, especially if he's wearing 4 oz gloves.
10/19/09 2:46 AM
newbyfan

good call

i agree

here is a fish
10/19/09 2:49 AM
RUSRedDevil
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jack Dempsey wrote a book called fighting tough, he often wrestled in his training camps and trained Judo!!!!

would have been a tough MMA fighter
10/19/09 2:51 AM
RUSRedDevil
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

*** How to fight tough*** was the name of the Dempsey book
10/19/09 3:07 AM
Kirik
1681 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, President

Jack Dempsey should have been an mma fighter..

He was.

Check out his WWII self defense stuff, Includes a nice guillotine variation.
10/19/09 3:26 AM
Redneck
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TapouT Radio, Token Aussie

10/19/09 4:00 AM
Lahi

Kirik - 
Jack Dempsey should have been an mma fighter..

He was.

Check out his WWII self defense stuff, Includes a nice guillotine variation.

That is badass. Love the story of how he ko'd two muggers when he was in his 70's (IIRC). I think he was in his 50's when he volunteered for WWII. When his unit was part of a beach assault in the Pacific Islands, his commanding officer told him to stay back in the boats since he was a celebrity. Dempsey said, "I trained these boys, sir. They trust me. Where they go I go," and charged the beach with his men.
10/19/09 7:33 AM
PointyShinyBurn

olivercromwell - Willard lived to be a ripe old age. He went to his grave saying that Dempsey had a foreign object in his glove. Dempsey put a huge bet on himself before the fight and made a lot of money. I guess we'll never know if his glove was loaded or not.
Dempsey's manager bet the purse on a first round knock-out, therefore losing his money. The allegations about rail road spikes and plaster-of-paris weren't made till long after the fight and the footage (which is on YouTube) pretty clearly show them to be false because:
1)Dempsey's gloves are open for a lot of time, in fact he even grabs the ropes with the left hand that supposedly held a load and
2) He entered the ring with his gloves off and Willard himself inspected the wraps

http://coxscorner.tripod.com/dempsey_gloves.html
10/19/09 8:00 AM
Willie Duit

Edited: 10/19/09 8:00 AM
Dempsey fianlly admitted it on his death bed. Ate on him for a long time.
10/19/09 10:37 AM
FranklinFailedMe

williepep - Always liked the fellow since I wrote a paper about him in 8th grade.

Greatest book on Boxing ever written and most likely ever will be written.

10/19/09 10:52 AM
Lord Kancho
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Willie Duit - Dempsey fianlly admitted it on his death bed. Ate on him for a long time.

This never happened.
10/19/09 10:54 AM
Lord Kancho

williepep - Always liked the fellow since I wrote a paper about him in 8th grade.

Probably the best instructional ever written on how to crush bones.
10/19/09 10:56 AM
newbyfan

agreed, never happened
10/19/09 11:05 AM
Up With Evil
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

williepep -
Dempsey had a remarkable understanding of the biomechanics of throwing a punch; there were, and still are, plenty of hard-hitting fighters in the world, but Dempsey truly understood exactly how it was he could hit so hard from so many angles. 

Dempsey also appreciated the "mixed" aspects of fighting because as a hobo, he literally had to fight for his (presumed) life - single men traveling in the company of strage, desperate men is obviously a very dangerous situation.  Dempsey could fight as dirty as any man in the sport when he needed to.

10/19/09 11:22 AM
point312

I was in a local bookstore and i saw this book.A flame of pure fire by Roger Kahn it was on sale for $3.99 used i read it and have been very impressed by Jack Dempsey.The book you guys speak of with alot of his techiques is Championship Fighting Explosive Punching and Aggressive Defense i think everyone who trains should read it search it and you can download the whole book for free or if you buy it its very expensive.I alos have a book called Jack Dempsey by Nat Fleisher its from 1936 and a also a good read but in the back it has his measurements from all his fights and the win/loss and how.It has wrist size,neck size and alot of good measurements and you can see how his body changed over the years.IMO all the fighters from that era were very tough and it wasnt uncommon to lose teeth and get broken jaws regularly it makes you really see how much we have evolved into a cop calling pussy society.Any of those men would be great mma fighters had they been given the chance.Now you guys have me thinking of getting the how to fight tough book!!!
[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.