UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Anyone have experience with Culinary schools?

10/20/09 10:44 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
GrandInquisitor
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm in the process of sending in all the details (transcripts...etc) for my application to the Culinary School at Kendall College in Chicago and I'm curious if anyone has any experience with culinary schools in general and Kendall in particular.

I know Kendall is one of the best and most well-respected culinary schools in the country and it's considered on the same level as the CIA, Johnson and Wales and the French Culinary.

Assuming everything goes well, I'm going to be going in through the AAS program in Baking and Patisserie - my great desire is to learn the skills to open my own patisserie and boulangerie and this is the first step.

I know the hours and the work can be brutal in culinary school, (and the field in general) which will be even harder for me being disabled, but this is really what I want and I'm willing to fight for this.

Regardless - has anyone here gone through culinary school or known anyone who has?
12/25/09 11:16 AM
BarkLikeADog
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm not gonna pretend that I know ANYTHING about culinary school, but my understanding of the industry in general is that culinary schools are for people that want to learn to cook, & business schools are for people that want to run businesses.

Not to put too fine a point on it.

There's way more to running a successful restaurant than simply knowing how to make great food. If your dream is to open your own place, I would focus on the skills necessary to survive on that front, & learn the cooking part of it later/as you go if you still want.
4/25/10 7:14 PM
quick
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mind you I was just a cook, but most of the chefs I knew seemed to put a lot more weight on ability than pedigree.
6/7/10 10:04 PM
Roy Batty
153 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Have you worked in restaurants much?
6/8/10 5:53 PM
quick
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For a time I worked as a cook in a resort sporting a five diamond restaurant.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.