UnderGround Forums

Cigars, Beer & Poker Ground >> Starting Online Poker

10/22/09 1:23 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
2ndJesusKO'dMe
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I decided to start getting into poker and before I start to play with real money I want to make sure I can hold my own. I've played a few free roll tournaments and have finished in the money every time. Since I don't play poker that much yet, I am questioning whether play money is even worth my time if I am already finishing in the money.

I have tried to stay disciplined only playing when I have cards and not shying away from folding if I have a little committed to the flop if I feel I am beat. I try to bluff occasionally to show I don't just play with great cards, but mainly I don't like finishing a hand unless I have at least three of a kind. Is this good strategy?

Here are my stats from the last tournament where I finished 102 out of 3662.

uring current Hold'em session you were dealt 174 hands and saw flop:

- 12 out of 20 times while in big blind (60%)

- 8 out of 20 times while in small blind (40%)

- 28 out of 134 times in other positions (20%)

- a total of 48 out of 174 (27%)

Pots won at showdown - 11 of 18 (61%)

Pots won without showdown - 8

Are these good stats? Any books that are worth my time? I don't mind waiting a while to play with money, I would just like to learn how to play good poker.

Thanks a lot for any help.

10/22/09 1:46 AM
2ndJesusKO'dMe
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

By the way, I am not expecting to get good over night.
10/22/09 2:56 PM
Spuds Buckley
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1. playing with play money is worthless, people go AI with whatever for fun

2. planning to play cash games/sng's/MTT's??

3. those stats are hard to decipher because of the nature of tourneys, small/big stack etc

4. if you plan only to play trips or better you will get murdered

5. My favorite cash book is Professional No Limit Hold em Vol. 1. For tourneys, Harrington's books alsways get mentioned as being among the best

6. Good luck. Read and watch videos. Post and read on forums such as 2+2 etc
10/22/09 4:52 PM
2ndJesusKO'dMe

Thanks for the info, should I start with tournaments or cash games? I am thinking of putting in 200 bucks, will I be able to get some good practice out of that? What are sng's and MTT's?
10/22/09 5:31 PM
andre
439 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would start with small buyin sit n go tournaments.
10/22/09 5:36 PM
2ndJesusKO'dMe

Any sites better than others?
10/22/09 8:08 PM
Spuds Buckley
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would choose either Full Tilt or Poker Stars. Very important, Full Tilt offers rake back but you have to sign up with it the first time you sign up with them. You cannot try to get it later if you didn't do it when you first signed up. Getting 27% of your rake back is very nice. Hit me up if you would like more info about this. I use raketherake and have always been very pleaseed with them.

SNG= sit n go tourney, usually heads up, 6 max or full ring.

MTT= multi table tourney, could be hundreds up to 1000's of players

Personally I am a cash game guy. 200 bucks is fine to start, if you do cash games you could play some of the microstakes and get your feet wet.
10/22/09 9:02 PM
2ndJesusKO'dMe

Sounds pretty good, I think I am going to do some more research about rake back before I sign up. No point in rushing. 

I've been reading threads on 2+2 and there is a lot to learn. I am trying to get the concept of pot odds and counting outs but it seems like that will take a while. I am going to use play money for a little while to try to get the concept better.
10/22/09 11:41 PM
WrestlingSucks
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ive been going up and down online at the 2/5 cent tables. Its really just a free for all sometimes
10/23/09 7:58 AM
walbjj
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

honestly, poker is one of the cheapest activities to trial before investing heavily in.
for instance, what other activity can u basically invest $20 and start playing against other players who have a wide range of experience?
i mean, going to the gym on a casual visit might cost u $10, but ur not gonna get much out of it. u can start running, but u need a decent pair of shoes.
but with poker, for that $20, ucan play any number of "proper" tournaments and sit n gos (u can get in 3x $5 tourneys for instance) thats enough to get a good taste of where ur at in terms of ability.
heck, i would go so far as to say, put $50 into an online account. think of it as a cheap lesson.
if u dont have $50 to burn, then poker really isnt the activity for u
10/23/09 8:31 PM
WrestlingSucks
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I got a guy on OMEGA TILT today. He dumped forty bucks into me on 1/2 cent NL. He always called when I had it and folded to my bluffs. Ive never seen someone make the wrong choice so often. He cursed like I slept with his sister but he was just reloading and dumping into me over and over with any two cards.
10/23/09 8:49 PM
2ndJesusKO'dMe

Ok I am going to put some money into poker stars and start testing the 1/2 cent tables to see where I am at. Any tips on signup so I get the most bang for my buck? I already have an account but haven't deposited real money yet.
10/27/09 9:25 PM
MakeItRain
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Big difference in Free Roll MTT and a cash game...
11/30/09 1:11 AM
skrump
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This thread is gold. about to make the leap myself.
11/30/09 3:02 AM
2ndJesusKO'dMe

Wow, forgot about this.

Been playing a lot since I posted this and so far I am break even playing some cash but a lot of SNGs. I think I have played around 500 or 600 sngs and about 5000 hands so I still haven't played very much. My only goal was to not redeposit and so far that has been the case so I am happy. You definitely should get a subscription to a poker training site with videos if you are taking this seriously for the first time. I used Deucescracked and it was definitely worth it. 

It is really funny how little I knew before and how little I still know. Learning a ton though and still really enjoying it even though I ran pretty bad today.

BANKROLL MANAGEMENT! Don't play anything higher than microstakes at first. 

Be patient too, don't start playing hands because you get bored. If you get bored or you go on tilt or something, stop playing for a little while.
11/30/09 12:54 PM
billid
180 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/30/09 12:59 PM
sign up to cardrunners or one of the other poker video training sites and stay away from watching videos in the stakes higher than the micros, the strategies they use at the higher stakes even at 100NL is way different than the micros and if you try them you'll get crushed

micros just stick to tight ABC poker, putting in the time is where you will learn.. the days of depositing $50 and 6 months later being a regular at the $5/$10, $10/$20 NL are gone. Too many people have the basics down now.

check out all the video training sites and scout out the ones whom have regular low limit sitngo videos being posted.I play cash games and am capable of playing tourny and sitngos but I can't give much advice to somebody who already knows the basics.

as far as tilt go's, just make sure you embed in your head that bad beats are part of the game, everybody loses (eg. Durrr's stats, lol) and that if you're not losing a bad beat here and there you're probably not playing correctly . As long as the decisions you made were correct, you should be happy with the play you made regardless of the outcome.

add to bankrollmanagement TRACKING your shit. Keep on top of every penny you have. Write it down somewhere on your computer at the end of every day. A mini diary just a couple sentences long summarizing your session, stakes you played, amout you're up or down, where you went wrong and right. You will probably never read this again but the fact that you are taking the time to think about it will help lots and keep you in line. trust me on this one
11/30/09 1:06 PM
billid
180 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"TRACKING your shit" con't

also, tilt occurs when you've made a mistake... that one time in the night that you make a move you'd never make regularly that you know costs you money if you were to do on a regular bases but for some reason this one time you chose to do it without thinking and lost big money for it. That's ok but sometimes tilt can come from this and last days, weeks..months so I find summarizing your night and going over your good decisions and bad ones clears the bad ones out of your head, it's almost like you make peace with them and move on and the next day after everything seems to be normal.

but as far as tilt goes I think I gave my best advice in the 4th paragraph of my first post
3/4/10 7:22 PM
stillmatic
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There's just a huge difference between Live and Online Poker. For the last 5 years or so, online play was where it was at to make money. The only reasoning behind playing live would have been if you wanted to become famous and get sponsorship deals out of winning a tournament.

Games online have more or less dried up these days the past year or two and you see many players that used to play high limits resort to grinding out low limit games and multi-tabling them. It's funny because 5 years ago, people grinding out low/mid stakes were dissed for not having the balls to step up to bigger games. Now, you see those grinders being respected for their longevity. Those guys that shot up in limits are mostly broke and it's about the same for the Tournament pros too.

If you're getting into it now, it's gonna be quite a bit more work than it was before and I really don't know if it would even be worth it.
3/4/10 9:21 PM
Florian Nailed The Carpenter

My OP is kinda funny now that I reread it. It is amazing how much more I know now compared to what I did then. Can't wait until I read this in another three months and realize how much more I know then.

In case any one is wondering I'm playing HUSNGs as my main game and still haven't redeposited and it doesn't look like I will have to. :)
3/5/10 3:11 AM
billid

Edited: 03/05/10 3:11 AM
I've been playing online for over 8 years now I think and what I know now compared to just a few months ago makes me laugh. You'll always be learning and never stop studying.
4/17/10 4:46 PM
El Maquina

So if I'm playing no limit sit n go's for play money, there will be a significant difference in play if I go to those same stakes for real money? I can burn the play money games up.
4/18/10 12:29 AM
billid

yes it will change.

I've had buddies who played play money cash tables starting with the $1000 chips or whatever they get and build it up into the hundreds of thousands yet lose their first, second, third deposit till they give up and go back to play money.

Don't let this discourage you though, these guys really sucked.

Just think of it like this (if you play recreational), it's something you like, put aside even $10/week to play with. You never know, you might not ever deposit again after your first $10. It's better than playing for nothing.

Rather, deposit $25 or $50 and play the micros with no intentions of depositing ever again. If you lose it all, focus on learning the game instead. Actually, if you deposit cash you should focus just as much time you put in playing as you do studying the game. Maybe even more than you play for the first while.
4/18/10 12:31 AM
billid

I'm drunk. Maybe I should have summarized that whole post into one little paragraph lol
4/18/10 11:29 AM
El Maquina

Edited: 04/18/10 11:29 AM
Your post was fine bill. Are there still a bunch of guys out there making 50k/yr by just playing poker?
4/19/10 8:10 AM
walbjj
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/19/10 8:10 AM
my brother is one of them, he made $40k in february alone, but broke even in march, its a shit way to make a living.
plays over 100k hands a month, grinding 50 hour weeks

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.