UnderGround Forums

Cigars, Beer & Poker Ground >> Starting Online Poker

4/20/10 2:41 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
VectorWega
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Personally, I think playing in Play money SNGs is the way to go.  If you immediately bought in for $20 and played SNGs you will more than likely go busto just based on variance alone.

The reason I recommend going with play money is because you can learn some things and it won't cost you anything but your time.

Things you can learn from playing play money:

bankroll mgt (moving up in stakes, not overextending yourself)
how to play vs bad players (there are many bad players in low stakes money SNGs also)
SNG/tournament strategy.  IE learn when you have push/fold decisions.  Learn what good calling hands are.  Learn how to play heads up/short handed and how you can exploit those situations.

As you move up in play money stakes the games will actually get harder.  It is still night/day comparison with real money games and you will initially be shocked at the difference in real money games.  The players are a lot more conservative, and trap more often in real money games.  It's also much easier to go on tilt in real money games.  Still, there are a lot of really bad players in real money games too and you will need to identify which players are good and which are bad and adjust your game accordingly.

Also, there is a ton of information out there about poker, and playing in play money games would give you an opportunity to learn a lot and test out these strategies.  Just make sure the stack sizes aren't too short and the blinds don't increase too fast (relative to real money games).  Also, I don't find much value in playing the free-roll (mega tourneys).  Probably better off playing a combination of single table tourneys, multi table SNGs, 6 handed SNGs, and HU SNGs.
4/21/10 2:27 PM
Retard
705 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ndfs
4/22/10 5:59 PM
El Maquina

I got into a $2000 buy in play money tourney with 18 players. I won it. I'm starting to think I could make real money at this. Am I wrong in saying I have good chances, or do ppl play totally different in real money games?
4/22/10 6:12 PM
PR
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

El Maquina - I got into a $2000 buy in play money tourney with 18 players. I won it. I'm starting to think I could make real money at this. Am I wrong in saying I have good chances, or do ppl play totally different in real money games?

The whole point of poker is to risk something you care about. People dont care about play money.

Sure, try the penny tables, but don't fool yourself into thinking you are good yet. I guarantee you suck balls. You just suck less balls than the people who didn't care in the play money tournament.
4/22/10 6:23 PM
El Maquina

PR - 
El Maquina - I got into a $2000 buy in play money tourney with 18 players. I won it. I'm starting to think I could make real money at this. Am I wrong in saying I have good chances, or do ppl play totally different in real money games?

The whole point of poker is to risk something you care about. People dont care about play money.

Sure, try the penny tables, but don't fool yourself into thinking you are good yet. I guarantee you suck balls. You just suck less balls than the people who didn't care in the play money tournament.

I guess tough love is the thing I need at this point. To give you some idea of where I'm at, I've read Harrington on Holdem No Limit Tourney. I'm reading through it again and working on the problems to prepare for his next volume. I can tell there's something missing though. I probably play too conservatively and have a hard time handling super aggressive players. I also need to get much better at putting someone on a hand.

PR, start at the penny tables even if I have a $50 bankroll to start?
4/23/10 2:34 AM
VectorWega

$50 would be a good bankroll for 1c./2c ring games. 

I'd recommend a larger bankroll before starting SNGs though.  The rake on the $1 SNGs is generally 20%, and you don't have the bankroll to play $2 SNGs.
4/23/10 12:27 PM
billid
160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

El Maquina,

Don't take the comment "you suck" to heart. It's tough to hear and maybe there is a better description out there that doesn't discourage new players but I guarentee you every few months (if you continue to study the game, not just play) you will keep looking back at yourself and say "holy shit I sucked back then!"

I'm doing it right now. I have a post on these boards just one month ago where I was analyzing my stats and I look back at that player right now and say "he sucks!"

$50 bankroll at the $2NL is fine. You have 20 buy ins. I've been pushing it closer to about 25 buy ins before I START to think about moving up. But if you're 1 or 2 tabling $2NL you'll be quite fine with $50.
4/23/10 12:30 PM
billid
160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

and once you're over $100 and no sooner, then start thinking about moving up to $5NL

4/23/10 2:12 PM
El Maquina

Thanks gentlemen. It's interesting to hear you guys say that one improves gradually over time. It makes me wonder what angles I'm missing now that I'll catch on to then. Are you guys using poker software to track your stats?
4/23/10 2:47 PM
VectorWega

El Maquina - Thanks gentlemen. It's interesting to hear you guys say that one improves gradually over time. It makes me wonder what angles I'm missing now that I'll catch on to then.

Heh.  Poker is an easy game to learn but is incredibly difficult to master.  Even after playing thousands upon thousands of hands over years you will still have much to learn.  If I could locate a Tom Dwan hand analysis video, that would probably give you a better idea of what I'm talking about.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.