UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> shotokan

10/22/09 11:36 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
fortheloveofMMA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

im looking to get into some tma to supplement mma training. i live in columbia sc and am looking at a couple places. one of the places is called the shotokan academy, better name than the usual mcdojo red dragon gym name. will i be able to get some useful, and applicable training out of this like vitor has, no matter if its a mcdojo or something like where machida learned?
ps i no nothing about this place, but it is purely shotokan and near me
10/23/09 4:58 PM
timmarine

I trained Shotokan as a kid and just remember doing a bunch of kata work. Might be fun now because I am getting older but was kind of boring then.
10/30/09 10:53 AM
None So Blind
222 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Depends on the school.

I did it for 5 years, ran into some instructors that were hard-core for kata and damn near nothing but, and I met some who sparred like people kicked out of kyokoshinkai for being too rough :-P

Go watch a class, esp. one where they spar. If it's nothing but one-step (or three-step, etc.), stay away. Lots of free sparring - might be worth your while, esp. if they allow head punches.

Also, given shotokan's very deep traditional japanese roots, many instructors have some judo training, and some of those may choose to incorporate some of that. My own first instructor was a foot-sweeping maniac, and I enjoy the hell out of watching Machida do the same exact thing nowadays ;-)

11/2/09 4:55 AM
laqueus

I had a Shotokan instructor who had some Judo and Wrestling background. We had class 2x/week. He taught something from Judo or Wrestling once every 3 months. Fortunately one of those classes was a tani-otoshi to hadaka-jime which was a pretty damn good combo to be a one trick pony with, but that's still pretty much useless. I say that more to keep an eye out for schools that say they do grappling, 'cause that's what they said there. If they do 3 classes per week (for example) and at least part of one class each week has a grappling component then yeah they teach it, otherwise it's like taking Karate and the occasional grappling seminar.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.