UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Boil the perfect egg

10/24/09 3:18 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
crescentwrench
195 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/24/09 3:20 PM

Something's jacked with my internets so I can't link like I want.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/10/the-food-lab-science-of-how-to-cook-perfect-boiled-eggs.html

Basically the guy is saying that boiling the perfect egg is a function of perfect time and temperature.  He did this by not boiling but simmering (180 degrees) and adjusting the volume of water so that it remained hot enough to cook the egg but cooled down in the proper amount of time.

Recipe for non-link clickers

Soft Boiled Eggs

Ingredients
3 quarts water
1-6 large eggs

Procedure
1. Bring water to a simmer in a medium pot. Reduce heat until water is barely quivering. Gently lower eggs into water with slotted spoon or strainer (do not drop eggs into water, or they might crack).

2. Cook for exactly 6 minutes, then remove eggs with slotted spoon, and serve.

Hard Boiled Eggs

Note: If you have a particularly strong burner, a very thin-walled pot, or live at high altitudes or in a very cold or hot environment, initial volume of water may need to be adjusted. Once you figure out the specific volume for your location, use that same volume every time.

Ingredients
1.5 quarts cool water
1-6 large eggs

Procedure
Place eggs and water in saucepot. Place over high heat and bring to a bare simmer. Immediately shut off burner and wait at least ten minutes. Peel eggs under cool running water, and serve.  
10/24/09 7:42 PM
jarva
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Interesting.  Here is what I do (hard boiled eggs):
  1. Place 4-6 eggs in a medium sized pot; Cover with cold water.
  2. Cover the pot; bring to a rolling boil (usually takes about 12-13 minutes for me).
  3. Remove the lid from the pot; reduce to medium heat.
  4. Cook at medium heat for 10 minutes; stir the eggs every couple of minutes to ensure an even heat distribution.
  5. Remove the eggs from the pot; place into ice water; store in the freezer for at least 25 minutes.
  6. Peel.
Placing the eggs in ice water/freezer helps ensure the yolks remain yellow (vs green).  Not that that matter all of the time.
10/24/09 8:50 PM
crescentwrench
195 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That green is I believe a high concentration of those sulfides that make the egg smell bad so it is a good idea to try to minimize that.  

But you'll never convince my mom of that.  Here's her recipe.

put a bunch of old-ass eggs in a big pot of cold water.  Bring to a rolling boil.  Keep at a boil for 15-20 minutes.  Turn off heat and let sit in boiling hot water until it cools off.  Peel and make the house smell like a truck stop toilet.  
10/25/09 11:06 PM
Hiznaturegirl
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like these tips.
Here is what i have done in the past;

Take eggs out of fridge to bring down temperature.

Bring water, I always ad some vinegar to the water. To boil.

Ad Eggs(The hardest part for me).

For soft boiled, 7-9min.
For hard boiled, 9-12min.

Depends what I'm eating it with.
I like the hand strainer that i always found at the Asian supermarkets not sure what it is called.

I would love to get some good egg salad recipes.
10/26/09 5:51 AM
junon
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

vinegar? you do that for poached eggs but for boiled eggs?

this is what i do.

boiling water + eggs = 8mins.
room temp + eggs = 15mins.

never failed me.
11/7/09 5:51 PM
cbgrappler

why vinegar when boiling eggs? I understand why with poached ( at least i think i do ) but the vinegar shouldn't have any effect on the cooking of the egg, even if the shell is semi-permeable, is it in there that long too matter
11/7/09 8:48 PM
crescentwrench

That's what the guy in the link said.  There's not enough time for an egg in the shell to be affected by vinegar in the water.  You'd need to leave it in there for hours at minimum.  
11/13/09 5:30 PM
shootfightermike
563 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
11/17/09 8:42 AM
scarfacedave
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

4later
1/29/10 2:16 PM
poolparty

anyone eat raw eggs?
1/29/10 6:16 PM
crescentwrench

Not by themselves.  You mean Rocky style?  Tried it once and it got about mid-chest before reversing course, along with all the other stuff I had for lunch.

If you mean in things, yeah.  I have made ice cream with eggs and the base isn't cooked.  There's a few other things I'm sure I've done that I can't recall off hand.  

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.