UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> TUF 10 Episode 7 recap

10/28/09 11:07 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1027 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

As the seventh episode of "The Ultimate Fighter 10" gets underway, we're reminded that only four fighters are left for opening-round matchups: Team Rashad's Mike Wessel and Matt Mitrione and Team Rampage's Marcus Jones and Scott Junk.

But the final matchups are quickly overshadowed by coaches Quinton Jackson and Rashad Evans, who trash-talk about the other's most recent losses. While showing Rampage re-enacting Evans' brutal knockout loss to Lyoto Machida, the downtrodden coach admits during a confessional that he can't stand being down six fights to none to Rashad's "cocky ass."

We immediately jump into the next fight announcement, and after further trash-talking, Rashad announces Matt, the former NFL player, will take on Scott, a one-time UFC fighter. That leaves a final opening-round bout between the towering Marcus, the most accomplished of this season's NFL vets, and the short and compact Mike.

Surprise, surprise, though. The trash-talking immediately intensifies, and when Rashad says his rival coach would be better off quitting, Rampage says the only ones quitting are his fighters. A quick camera pan to Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson doesn't exactly show a happy Team Rampage fighter.

The debate heats up, and when Rashad points out that Rampage is only talking and not winning, things escalate. Rampage says he's not a coach – Rashad agrees and points out to the rival team that his coach has trashed them repeatedly – and the coaches nearly come to blows before the assistant coaches and fighters separate them.

It's clips like this one that would have provided a ton of anticipation for the proposed UFC 107 headliner between Rashad and Rampage. But with Rampage now on the outs with UFC management and shooting "The A-Team," a huge subplot of this season is an unfortunate waste.

Scott Junk (Team Rampage) vs. Matt Mitrione (Team Rashad)

After both Scott (6-2-1) and Matt (2-0) enter the cage, Dana White does the introductions, referee Josh Rosenthal readies the fighters, and the fight is underway.

There's little action early as the two fighters test their range, but Matt quickly checks a body kick, connects on a right and knocks his opponent to the mat. Scott immediately sits up and eats a body kick as he tries to get up. On a second attempt, though, he does get back to his feet, and Scott connects on an overhand right. Matt returns fire, though, and Scott shows signs that his right eye may have taken a blow. Matt rushes in and drops Scott again with a right hand. Matt backs off and allows his opponent to stand. Scott tries to fight through this opponent's long reach, but Matt catches a kick and sends Scott to the mat for the third time in the first 75 seconds of the fight.

Scott gets back up and appears OK, but after a weak takedown attempt, Matt blasts him with more punches and knees to the body. Scott gets back up but fails with two more week takedown attempts. Matt unloads additional blows but begins to slow. Scott is clearly dazed and has no answer as Matt tees off with additional (though weakening blows). Scott finally connects on a combination and then pushes Matt into the cage and buys himself some time to recover during the clinch. On the break, Matt wildly throws lazy kicks and punches, eats a wild overhand right from Scott, and then stands in the pocket and trades drunk punches with Scott. It's a bad strategy as Scott unloads enough punches to avoid a 10-8 round and instead loses the round just 10-9 on the MMAjunkie.com scorecard.

Dana is excited by the fight between rounds, but it's obvious going into round two that both competitors are gassed.

As the second round begins, Matt throws a dozen or so weak punches as Scott covers up. Scott is gasping for breath with his chin unprotected, but Scott can offer nothing. Matt continues scoring points with his punches, which come with frequency despite a lack of power. Scott, though, closes the distance and scores a takedown on his quickly fading opponent. Scott works from in his opponent's guard and delivers a steady but far from overwhelming stream of punches. Both guys can be heard panting heavily midway through the round. Matt begins delivering and landing punches from below before the pace slows, and the fight is restarted.

With two minutes to go, Matt works his jab, and Scott counters with an overhand right. Matt is gassed, but he keeps scoring with punches. Scott barely has enough energy to cover up. The final minute of the round is more of the same as two the competitors fight off fatigue more so than each other. Matt lands a few more punches during the slow-paced exchange and takes the round, 10-9, on the MMAjunkie.com scorecard.

Dana says the two fighters stood toe to toe and "traded bombs." After the first few minutes, though, they looked more like firecrackers.

The decision is read, and Matt takes the fight via majority decision (19-19, 20-18, 20-18), which proves yet again, you never knew what you'll get when the fight goes to the judges.

Rampage is pissed that he's now fallen 7-0 to Team Rampage, walks off and then takes out his frustration on a door that is simply demolished with kicks and punches.

And thus concludes the seventh episode of "TUF 10" – and quite possibly Rampage's mental stability.

read full article...

10/28/09 11:18 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
GaymidaGaydan
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WHERE DA GAS AT?

WTF is going on when Roy nelson is the most fit guy on the show.
10/28/09 11:22 PM
BJJkilla
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

scott junk, ate too much junk.....
10/28/09 11:35 PM
surfing
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

One big, bs laced, propaganda filled UFC commercial.

Boo-hiss.
10/29/09 12:03 AM
D_S_A
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TUF 10 recap:

still incredibly pathetic
10/29/09 1:06 AM
FP101

No more heavyweight shows please!
10/29/09 1:21 AM
AOmonsta
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i thought it was a good decision.

i thought it was funny how spike showed carwin/lesner highlights still for UFC 106
10/29/09 1:32 AM
supersaiyan

yeah i noticed yesterday that they were still showing carwin vs lesnar promos
10/29/09 1:39 AM
Wasa-B
286 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

just saw the end of the fight with both guys wanging it in super slomo.

then cut to dana's "these guys were throwing bombs at each other..............." commentary.

oh, man.
10/29/09 2:04 AM
Stupidnewbie
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Grapple Armor, Head Honcho
That was seriously the worst fight I can remember watching. After all the shit talking from both, that was a laughable performance. That fight reminded me of old-school KOTC with two drunken assholes straight out of the crowd. No skill, no cardio, no gameplan, just trade shitty punches until the bell rings.
10/29/09 4:18 AM
supersaiyan

Edited: 10/29/09 4:18 AM
i didnt see aNYTHING showcasing carryover from anything ...surely to hell it wasnt NFL and if THAT was it--its a travesty to nfl guys

where was he athletic in that fight....looks like he was bombed out after 3 minutes in the first round
10/29/09 5:15 AM
Vasechkin

he still greatly outperformed a veteran, who most guys didn't want to fight.
10/29/09 5:41 AM
Legend Of Homer

Stupidnewbie - That was seriously the worst fight I can remember watching. After all the shit talking from both, that was a laughable performance. That fight reminded me of old-school KOTC with two drunken assholes straight out of the crowd. No skill, no cardio, no gameplan, just trade shitty punches until the bell rings.

Worse than Hammil vs Mike Nickels season 3?
10/29/09 6:07 AM
supersaiyan

the sparring session they had was FAR better than the real "fight"
10/29/09 6:57 AM
The Elastic Assassin
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i'm curious what fight the judges were watching though.....maybe they fell asleep...
10/29/09 7:58 AM
SecondBase
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the recap UN. Saved me an hour of life.
10/29/09 8:22 AM
hotshot123
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

maybe thay all have been eating to much burger king...damn that was one long burger king commercial with a little tuf thrown in.
10/29/09 8:30 AM
dMo
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Some people define insanity as repeating the same mistake and expecting a different result.

That would be me wasting another hour of my life last night. 
10/29/09 8:35 AM
Diesel67
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

These are aspiring top-level professionals and totally run out of gas after one round?  Their grandmas could have done better.  Shame on them both and shame on Dana for picking them.
10/29/09 8:39 AM
NorthFromHere
309 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It was like the special Olympics version of the TUF finale between Griffin and Bonnar.
10/29/09 8:50 AM
Ronin 7
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rampage was right....the camera-guy should have been fighting. And saying "The voices in my head can only be silenced by physical confrontation {paraphrasing here}." Do the voices also tell him not to finish the fight and get winded a minute in to the fight....what the hell happened to this "BEST SEASON EVER?"
10/29/09 9:02 AM
MoreThanUFC

Matrione is a newb.  I will let him slide on the gas tank, but Scott Junk is a vet and has been training FOR MMA for years.  He was fat, outta shape, and had zero cardio.  No respekt at all.

10/29/09 9:23 AM
donkypunch55
177 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My girl and i were sitting on the couch convusled with laughter through-out much of the fight. it's hilarious when a fight degenerates to the point that neither fighter has enough gas left to really do any damage... by far the funniest and worst season eva!!
ps. that door was weak and hollow as fuck..my grandmother could have done the same...
10/29/09 9:30 AM
BabyZeus
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was so looking forward to this fight! It started strong and QUICKLY fizzled. Such a disappointment. SAD
10/29/09 9:55 AM
SirPrize
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Matt looked good... *early* in the fight. He was cleaning Scott's clock. Scott's answer was to invite Matt into his guard. Fortunately for Matt, he was smart enough to keep it standing.

Matt should have nailed Scott in the body when Scott was covering up. He was WIDE OPEN, and early in the fight (when Matt still had some power), he could have landed some viscious shots. Rashad kept yelling for Matt to go to the body - He should've listened.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.