UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> TUF 10 Zak Jensen Facing Wrongful Death Lawsuit

10/30/09 6:07 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Card
2328 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://mma.fanhouse.com/2009/10/30/tuf-10s-zak-jensen-facing-wrongful-death-lawsuit/

Minnesota's Stillwater Gazette is reporting that the family of the student, alleging that the student died during an altercation with Jensen, filed a suit Thursday against Jensen, Jensen's employer Jason Jones and company Sterling Systems.

According to KSTP TV, the lawsuit states that Jensen told a hotel worker that he acted in self defense, and that an autopsy revealed that the student had wounds on his face and choked on his vomit.

10/30/09 6:48 PM
TheThrill
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

blue63 - The kid's blood alcohol level after he was taken to the coroner was .12 and he died by choking on his own puke... not to mention the fact that apparently he attacked Zak.

Sounds like the kids family is just trying to get a quick buck off their own childs death.

They're just NOW filing suit even though this happened over Spring Break?

http://kstp.com/news/stories/S1222438.shtml?cat=1

exactly what i was thinkin...its closer to next years spring break than to the past years spring break
10/30/09 6:52 PM
insomnia
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Police didn't charge him...he's probably innocent
10/30/09 6:53 PM
Rumbler

Is he the depressed one?
10/30/09 6:55 PM
Mike Sanders

d mo -  Holy shit Linderman really did snap...

Way to go Wes

Sounds like some drunk guy attacked him and then choked on his own vomit, IMO. From the way he put up with all the shit in the TUF house, it seems as if Jensen isn't the sort to attack people even when pushed a little.

Anyway, it's a shitty situation and I don't think you'd be here long if you made the same joke about Justin Eilers or something like that.
10/30/09 9:05 PM
MountainMedic
719 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

*waits for more information before making obvious jokes............*

10/30/09 9:21 PM
dawgswrestler

actually, the guy didn't attack Jensen. Jensen is the body guard for Ashley Jones and he found the guy attacking Ashley.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,570586,00.html
10/30/09 9:25 PM
Mike Sanders

dawgswrestler - actually, the guy didn't attack Jensen. Jensen is the body guard for Ashley Jones and he found the guy attacking Ashley.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,570586,00.html

I think it's possible that Jensen intervened and then the guy attacked him as well
10/30/09 9:31 PM
joemama

.12? fuck that, stupid kid got drunk and died. Happens all the time.
10/30/09 9:37 PM
MountainMedic
719 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

this happened BEFORE tuf taped? if so, it explains a bit why that kid was so reserved...... thats alot to walk around with everyday. sounds like a family trying to place blame to me.

shitty deal for jensen.
10/30/09 9:40 PM
MountainMedic

Family Sues 'Ultimate Fighter' Competitor Over Son's Death

Friday, October 30, 2009

MINNEAPOLIS —  The family of a college student who died on a spring break trip to Mexico has filed a lawsuit alleging it happened after a struggle with a traveling companion who has competed in ultimate fighting competitions.

University of St. Thomas freshman Josh Gunderson died March 24 after he apparently fell, hit his head and choked on his own vomit.

His family's lawsuit says Gunderson died after a confrontation with mixed martial artist Zachery Jensen, a bodyguard for Ashley Jones. The lawsuit claims Jensen told a hotel employee he woke to find Gunderson attacking Jones.

The 27-year-old Jensen has competed on Spike TV's reality series "The Ultimate Fighter."

Jensen did not return phone or e-mail messages left by The Associated Press.

10/30/09 9:42 PM
Kurle
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zak Jensen has fought on cards here on a couple of occassions and has always been a very nice guy and a class act.
10/30/09 9:48 PM
Wrinkle
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here is something you can't understand ...how I could just, LINDERMAN!
10/30/09 10:05 PM
MountainMedic

inf0 - nm found more info

?
10/30/09 10:09 PM
RickyDerouen

hmmm. bad situation..
10/30/09 10:10 PM
OldManMinerva

RobbedByMyCheetah -  What the hell does Ashley Jones need a bodyguard for?

who the fuck is Ashley Jones?
10/30/09 10:11 PM
The MN Kid
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kurle - Zak Jensen has fought on cards here on a couple of occassions and has always been a very nice guy and a class act.

Ditto. I've known Zak for a couple years now and I've never seen him get confrontational with anyone. One of the nicest guys I've had the pleasure of knowing in this sport.
10/30/09 10:14 PM
MountainMedic

Local News

WCCO Crime Resources

Minn. Family Files Wrongful Death Lawsuit For Son

(WCCO) A St. Thomas freshman died last March on a spring break trip to Mexico that was originally called an accident. His family now believes their son was killed by man he knew.

His family's attorney filed a wrongful death lawsuit Thursday. According to the attorney, the autopsy shows it was a fight that killed him.

Josh was found with blood on his face on the bathroom floor of the Sheraton Hotel in Puerto Vallarta.

Josh Gunderson was in Mexico with Zachary Jensen and Ashley Jones that night. Zachary and Ashley are also from Minnesota. Zachary has appeared on Spike TV's "The Ultimate Fighter." He was the one who told the front desk at the hotel that Josh was dead.

Josh's body was flown back to Minnesota where a medical examiner from Anoka County told his parents their son died from asphyxiation.

According to their attorney, John Magnuson, the medical examiner believes it is likely "it was a physical confrontation between Josh and Zachary that lead to Josh's altered state of consciousness, causing him to aspirate and die by asphyxiation."

Zachary Jensen was working for Ashley Jones family as a bodyguard in Mexico. Neither Zachary nor Ashley have talked to Josh's family about what happened in the hotel.

The attorney who is representing Ashley Jones didn't know about the lawsuit filed Thursday. Zachary Jensen did not respond to calls.

A press conference is planned for 11 a.m. Friday morning where Josh Gunderson's family will talk more about the wrongful death lawsuit.

10/30/09 10:16 PM
MountainMedic

Stillwater family sues to untangle mystery of son's spring break death

As Josh Gunderson lay dead in a pool of blood in a hotel bathroom in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, his friend Ashley Jones tried to arrange a flight home to Minnesota, according to a wrongful-death lawsuit filed Thursday in Washington County District Court.

When a concierge at the Sheraton Hotel entered the room where Gunderson and Jones were staying on spring break, she saw Jones "squatting, trying to close a suitcase and talking on her cell phone," she told authorities.

The concierge, Lourdes Becerra Perez, asked what Jones was doing and was told: "I'm going to the airport now." Zachary Jensen, who was traveling with Jones and Gunderson, told Perez that Jones' parents were "trying to get her a flight to go back home."

The concierge's statement was included in a lawsuit filed against Jensen; Jason Jones, Ashley's father; and Jones' company, Sterling Systems, of Golden Valley.

Gunderson, 20, a University of St. Thomas freshman from Stillwater, died March 24 after he apparently slipped and hit his head on the bathroom floor. A spokesman for the U.S. Consulate in Guadalajara, Mexico, said in March that it appeared to be an accident.

But the Gunderson family's civil suit alleges that Jensen and Gunderson "had a physical struggle or confrontation" and that Jensen caused Gunderson to "aspirate on gastric contents, asphyxiate and die." Gunderson had a blood-alcohol level of 0.12, according to a forensic pathologist's report included in the lawsuit.

(By comparison, a Minnesota driver is legally drunk with a level of 0.08.)

Jensen told Perez he was awakened by Jones screaming "Get off of me!" Jensen said he saw Gunderson attacking Jones and that when he intervened, Gunderson attacked him.

He told Perez: "That's why I came down here, to protect her."

Jensen, 27, a mixed-martial arts fighter who has appeared on Spike TV's "The Ultimate Fighter," was Jones' father's chauffeur and was in Mexico working as Jones' bodyguard, according to the attorney for the Gunderson family.

Jensen had bloodstains on his T-shirt, hands, arms and right leg when Perez came into the hotel room, according to her statement.

"I just defended myself, he was attacking me and it just happened, I tried to give him breath from my mouth and tried to give him CPR but he didn't respond at all. I can't believe! This should not happen," Perez said Jensen told her.

The Gunderson family claims Jensen and Jones were the last people to see Josh alive and the pair have refused to communicate about the events leading to Josh's death.

Jones left Mexico before police could question her and has been served with a subpoena compelling her deposition testimony, said John Magnuson, the attorney for Liz Gunderson-Koll, Gunderson's mother.

Attempts to reach Jones and Jensen by phone were unsuccessful Thursday night.

Gunderson-Koll said not knowing what happened to her son has been heartbreaking.

"It tears you up inside," she said. "Here she is packing her suitcase as my son is lying there. Now, I'm just angry. Josh, right now he doesn't have a voice, so we're his voice, so we will find out what happened and we will get justice for him."

Gunderson-Koll, who lives in Stillwater, said more information about Gunderson's death — including Jensen's statement to Mexican police — would be released this morning at a news conference at Magnuson's law office in Stillwater.

Gunderson was a hockey captain at Stillwater Area High School, where he graduated in 2007. He attended St. Mary's University of Winona before transferring to St. Thomas.

Gunderson and Jones had a class together at the University of St. Thomas and had become friends, Gunderson-Koll said. Gunderson had spent time with Jones at her house in Minnetonka and they had watched the movie "Twilight" together.

"I hadn't met her, but he had talked about her," Gunderson-Koll said. "He said, 'I don't want a girlfriend right now, but she's nice.' "

Gunderson's family is asking for more than $50,000 in the lawsuit, but the ultimate goal of Thursday's legal action is to find out what happened to Josh, Magnuson said.

"They are seeking the truth as to how and why this very special and promising young man ended up dead in a pool of blood on the floor of a Mexican hotel room," he said. "The ultimate goal of the family is ... making sure that justice is done in his memory."

Mary Divine can be reached at 651-228-5443

10/30/09 10:20 PM
MountainMedic

man..............  this kid is getting raked across the coals.

i really hope (yet don't believe) that the parents money won't be able to "purchase" the "justice" they are seeking.

in alot of cases we seem to jump to the aid of a dirt bag just because he is a fighter. i think this might be the time that we should actually rally around a guy. he is getting hosed right now. maybe it wasn't handled right, but what the fuck would you do when faced w/a dead body in a foreign country??? personally, i'd get the fuck out of there as fast as I could and deal with it once home on friendly soil.

i really hope that this womans family doesn't hang him out to dry-MM

10/30/09 10:28 PM
Hessian
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's Mexico, if you can afford a bg the local police know you can afford the no charges fee.

If this happened States side the police investigation would have determined things clearly. A year passing before something is filed is not long either if they had to deal with inept Mexican police.

Most all bg know there is line you don't cross when protecting someone, especially away from home. A hand to hand struggle should never result in death. A trained person can subdue and call for assistance.

Hope things work out for the best for all involved.
10/30/09 10:29 PM
The MN Kid
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ashley Jones is a young woman from here in MN. She isn't famous in any way, but her father still hired a bodyguard (Zak) to accompany her on her Spring Break trip to Mexico.
10/30/09 10:35 PM
HaMMerHouseFAN
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheThrill - 
blue63 - The kid's blood alcohol level after he was taken to the coroner was .12 and he died by choking on his own puke... not to mention the fact that apparently he attacked Zak.

Sounds like the kids family is just trying to get a quick buck off their own childs death.

They're just NOW filing suit even though this happened over Spring Break?

http://kstp.com/news/stories/S1222438.shtml?cat=1

exactly what i was thinkin...its closer to next years spring break than to the past years spring break

They could have been waiting to see if the prosecutor was going to bring a case or not. The burden of proof is higher in criminal cases which is why many civil cases wait until after the criminal case. Although the prosecutors must have been dragging their feet or waiting on some sort of evidence to wait this long it sounds like.
10/30/09 10:52 PM
GladiatorGannon
300 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hessian -  A hand to hand struggle should never result in death. A trained person can subdue and call for assistance.

However, especially when drugs or alcohol are involved, people sometimes do die, even if you do not use excessive force. It's unfair and inaacurate to say it "never" happens.
10/30/09 11:01 PM
MountainMedic

^jensen is just one of the named defendants^
clearly the money lies in the family that hired him. like i said, i hope he isn't hung out to dry on this one............ that is usually what money does-pass the buck.

i see this as a scuffle that ended when the kid was pushed/shoved hard and hit his head on the vainty of the bathroom. zak, realizing the kid was jacked attempted a brief trial of cpr and then did what he was supposed to do and got his client out of country. not really clear, from what little i have read, why/when the hotel staff was contacted. maybe somewhere between the time zak realized the kid needed help and the time he knew the kid was beyond help.

based on what i have been able to research (because i am really bored and went after it) invol manslaughter will be the plea offered........... and i think is 50/50 right now wether he should fight it. it will likely get worse if he fights it and the media really gets their teeth into the whole 'cage fighter w/documented antisocial tendencies kills an clean cut kid in mexico" angle.

zak is pretty fucked right now.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.