UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Corey Hill making a comeback

11/1/09 9:18 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

Corey Hill thinks of Dec. 10, 2008 every day.

The 31-year-old lightweight won the first round of his fight with Dale Hartt at UFC’s “Fight for the Troops” and was just getting started in the second when Hartt kicked him in the leg.

Hill did what he usually did back then, which was to answer force with force. He threw a counter leg kick, something to remind Hartt there would be no free throws against him.

When the five-foot-10-inch Hartt checked the right leg of six-foot-four-inch Hill with his left shin, the impact shattered Hill’s tibia and fibula.

Hill spent four months completely bedridden, his leg held together with steel rods and pins, wondering if he’d ever return to fighting.

He was almost completely dependant on his wife during the recovery and experienced severe mood swings dealing with the helplessness of the situation.

“I had the support of my wife and my friends, but mentally, I was like, something’s not right,” Hill told MMAWeekly.com in an exclusive interview. “Why am I laying in bed? I should be out there doing stuff.”

By his and other’s accounts, that get-up-and-go spirit has been the blessing/curse of Hill’s life – he can’t sit still.

It was hard to miss his infectious hunger for learning the fight game on the fifth season of “The Ultimate Fighter.” Back then, he had fought less than a year and for all intents and purposes had made his professional debut on the show. Afterwards, he did a short stint at Miletich Martial Arts before settling at Gracie Tampa.

“It’s wanting to learn everything overnight and being hard-headed about it,” he said. “I want to learn jiu-jitsu and Muay Thai and I want to learn it by next Wednesday, and it doesn’t work like that. I tell people I’m probably bipolar.”

For Hill, the accident presented a fork in his life’s road – it was a sign to move on, or to push through and reach for his full potential.

In June, two months after rising to his feet again, he got off his “pity potty.”

read full interview...

11/1/09 9:52 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
xcarnoxometzx
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good for him. I hope his recovery went better than expected, but.... I have to say I think he should put more mass on his body and consider a move up to welterweight. I also wont lie..... I will be a little disturbed every time he throws a kick.

Best luck to Hill though.
11/1/09 10:03 AM
humphrey sphinctermuscle
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/01/09 10:07 AM
I find it a teensy bit bullshit for him to say he's modest after he went into TUF like a 3 year old, barking like a dog. Witha record of 0 - 0

I also find it highly strange to be bragging about ignoring doctor advice until you found someone hungry enough for money they'd ignore what's obvious, and making it seem like he's some hero for being a real dipshit and short sighted. he just does whatever he wants.

To me that article simply pointed out that he's immature, impatient, ignorant and more...
11/1/09 10:03 AM
The Destroyer88

I really, really, really hope he doesn't come back too soon. The article says he wanted to get the pins out sooner and he had to go to four different doctors to get it done. For his safety I really hope that when he returns his leg is 150%.

Last thing we need is another freak injury like that happen, and put another image like that in our heads of what can happen when you throw leg kicks. Just some advice, stick with body kicks, avoid the leg kicks.
11/1/09 10:04 AM
Bill Pharoni
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's an exciting character that's for sure. Hopefully he can make a smooth comeback very soon.
11/1/09 10:16 AM
The Sultan
121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't know how he could recover mentally from a shot like that.  I mean, will he ever throw a leg kick again?

especially without setting it up?
11/1/09 11:56 AM
awilson82
175 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Id love to see Hill back but god please make him move up to at least WW so he can look like a person not a concentration camp victim.
11/1/09 11:59 AM
dhughes
357 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ryase - Break a leg, Corey!

Errrr

LOL! You're an asshole, tho.
11/1/09 12:05 PM
Winnson

^^ Yes, but a funny one!
11/1/09 12:07 PM
JOB
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL @ break a leg.

Good to see him recovering.
11/1/09 12:08 PM
Putin
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

at first i was like ;[

but then, i lol'd
11/1/09 12:17 PM
Chomas
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

it's pity party
11/1/09 12:29 PM
Sniffy

Stuck at home, this is my zone!
11/1/09 12:32 PM
The Sultan
121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kimbos Beard - 
he tried to spar on one leg at Gracie Tampa, propping himself against the wall and throwing hands. His coach, Rob Kahn, nearly had a heart attack.

Regardless of how smart that is, props.

Sultan, he answered your question in the article.

“I’m a modest guy, but my friends say I’m a little overconfident,” he said. “For me, realizing the injury, and realizing that someone may grab that leg, it was easy for me to start throwing kicks with it. That way, I could remove doubt in my mind, and the guys I’m sparring with know that ‘he’s not afraid of the leg kick.’

“I don’t just throw it out there willy nilly anymore. I’m looking for a specific spot on your body and I’m really trying to connect, versus, when the injury happened, just reacting.”

Hopefully it works out for him.
11/1/09 12:39 PM
urijahblupit
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i hope he goes up to at least welterweight he was freakishly skinny for lightweight
11/1/09 12:43 PM
Truemanc3
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Give it a year and that part of his leg will be tougher than before.... breaks heal alot stronger, bone remodeling and all that.
11/1/09 1:41 PM
obi1

urijahblupit -  i hope he goes up to at least welterweight he was freakishly skinny for lightweight

yeah i agree, he needs to put some size on his frame.. I think he could be really solid at ww.

I wish him the best, very solid prospect hopefully he can rebound and figh at a proper weight class
11/1/09 2:15 PM
TapouT24

Finally!!
11/1/09 5:44 PM
macdawg

He really should listen to the doctors, that said I find this a fascinating story and I am pulling for him.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.